Menu

Homeschooling and physical fitness

I have had a couple of recent opportunities to take dd6's friends with us to the park. I was really surprised when her friends (who are in b&m schools) couldn't keep with her.

Dd6 has asthma and is very small for her age. I have always worried about my kids' physical fitness, because I absolutely hate going outside or exercising (though I do try to exercise daily). But because of my own sensitivities, they don't get out as much as I think they need or ought to. I was really surprised to see her friends need to stop when she was still going strong.

So I wondered whether just running around in the house much of the day was enough to give her that much more stamina. Do you think that homeschooling contributes to better physical fitness?

So I wondered whether just running around in the house much of the day was enough to give her that much more stamina. Do you think that homeschooling contributes to better physical fitness?

I suspect your own sensitivity to the need to be active has resulted in your dd getting more activity than you think. I've met fit homeschoolers and homeschoolers who are not so fit.

Maybe on average homeschoolers might be a bit more fit simply because on average their parents are spending more time thinking about their well being. Perhaps homeschoolers are a bit fitter because parents are worried that they don't have PE or "social opportunities" and put them in karate/ballet/soccer type activities more regularly.

In general I think homeschoolers may a little more fit, but not because of homeschooling. More because of the type of parent who homeschools. I suspect public school parents who have a similar level of involvement in their child's life probably have on average a slightly fitter kid.

Do you think that homeschooling contributes to better physical fitness?

No, I do not think one can make general statements like this.

My son has homeschooled friends who complain about walking 1/4 of a mile and are "exhausted" - and he has publicly schooled friends who run ahead and are up to hiking several miles.

OTOH, my kids' physical fitness has not changed since they have been homeschooled (they attended ps till 5th/6th grade); the amount of exercise they get is pretty much the same.

I suspect my DD gets more physical activity due to being homeschooled-because when she gets annoying and has finished her schoolwork for the day, I can say "Go outside!"-her teacher last year was stuck with her (and 23 others) inside.

I also say "yes" to more extra activities than I did when she was in school, and I'm sure that makes a difference too. Last year she was able to take one dance class a week, and even that was a strain because on the night she had dance, she really didn't get a break from school-she had to come home, do homework (in KINDERGARTEN), eat, and go to dance. This year she's done multiple dance classes, gymnastics, t-ball, and soccer at various times of the year, and usually has at least 3 days a week where she has a group physical activity led by a coach or trained instructor.

Could just be individual differences too. My boys would be behind most kids their age. But it isn't due to a lack of physical exercise. I require daily cardiovascular and muscle building exercise in addition to PE 3-4 times per week. They would probably not be able to keep up with your daughter either due to motor delays.

Way too many variables:

Health of the child - including things like allergies, muscle tone, etc.

Parenting decisions and values - Do you value media or exercise more? Do you push kids out the door?

Safety of the area - Many places are not safe for kids to go out unattended

Weather _ Is it too hot for kids to be outside? too cold? too blustery or rainy? (you can get around some of this but not always)

Facilities - Are there indoor exercise options available? Tracks? Ball fields? Pools? The Y? Not all areas have affordable places to go.

Personality of the child - You can lead kids to the outdoors but you can't make them run

Finances and time - Do they have the time and money to sign the kids up for sports?

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

Homeschoolers are likelier to get more constant, low-level exercise than their peers simply because of the sheer number of hours spent sitting in the classroom, on school buses or in cars, and doing homework. My kids are pretty fit because I make them do so many chores around the house :D

Just to clarify, walking around the house, doing light chores, playing dress-up or other imagination games...pretty much anything that involves being on one's feet for 3 waking hours a day will burn as many calories as 1 hour of solid running at soccer practice. If your kids are busier than that, say on their feet for 4-6 hours a day or mostly running and bashing into things instead of playing quietly, just think of how much more exercise they are getting!

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ