Menu

Prayers for South Louisiana

May I ask for prayers/good thoughts/ good vibes for my family and friends in South Louisiana? I just got off the phone with my Mom. Thankfully, her area will likely be unaffected by this flooding. However, opening up the Morganza Spillway, while possibly saving Baton Rouge and New Orleans, will affect many of my family and friends. Tonight a public meeting was held in Butte La Rose, LA. They are telling everyone to GET OUT NOW. Many family members and friends will lose a lot in this flood. I have a lot of family members who make their living in the Atchafalaya Basin. This flooding, which will impact water levels for quite some time, will severely affect them. I know the logical thing for the Arrmy Corps of Engineers to do is open up the spillway to save Baton Rouge and New Orleans (and other high population areas around there), but it hurts me so much that my family is kinda looked at as collateral damage.

Specific prayer request: Please pray that the levee around Henderson, LA holds. If not, my grandma's house, along with a number of aunts and uncles, will be destroyed. The Army Corps is not certain this levee will hold due to the high volume of water expected in the Morganza Spillway. The spillway will begin to open this Saturday. My family will be in danger from Saturday until Tuesday. Thankfully I will be down in Louisiana next Thursday. Until then, I will be sitting here a thousand miles away worrying my tail off. Thank you all so much. Here is a link. Here is a map of the area. IF (a big IF considering New Orleans in Katrina) the levee holds, only a few family members will be affected. If not, bad news.

Edited by wendilouwho

I'm so sorry your family is in Butte Larose. My heart goes out to them. I'm in Morgan City...we are in a little bit better of a position, but not much. We are starting to pack our most prized possessions and be ready to leave at a moment's notice. The lake across the street from me is supposed to take 6 feet of water if they open the Morganza. They are re-enforcing our levee's to hold 5 of the 6. They can't get it any higher. All I can do is hope for a little reprieve on that number.

I wanted to add that you may want to re-think coming down Thursday. We are looking at WEEKS of high water. It's going to be a very slow decline. Better to keep yourself safe.

My sister is graduating high school next Saturday, May 21. I can't miss that. My Mom, Dad, and sisters are in the Lafayette area. They will likely not be affected.

I'm so sorry your family is in Butte Larose. My heart goes out to them. I'm in Morgan City...we are in a little bit better of a position, but not much. We are starting to pack our most prized possessions and be ready to leave at a moment's notice. The lake across the street from me is supposed to take 6 feet of water if they open the Morganza. They are re-enforcing our levee's to hold 5 of the 6. They can't get it any higher. All I can do is hope for a little reprieve on that number.

:grouphug: For what I can gather (which is little), Morgan City is definitely in the line of fire. Prayers for you and your family.

I am praying for all the victims of this widespread flooding. My brother is in Baton Rouge. I have lots of family in the MS Delta, and many of them are farmers. Most of them should be in good shape, provided the levees hold. But if they do not, it will be catastrophic. I have a written account my great-grandmother wrote about 1927 flood. She and my great-grandfather worked tirelessly to help people save what could be salvaged. All of this is just a terrible tragedy. :crying:

:grouphug: For what I can gather (which is little), Morgan City is definitely in the line of fire. Prayers for you and your family.

We are in the line of fire...the two towns you keep hearing on the news are Butte LaRose and Morgan City. Our sea wall can keep back up to 20 feet. We are supposed to get 13 but it has never been tested to that amount before. We are treading on new territory. I know that the neighborhood that they are most concerned about is mine. I'm definitely scared but am feeling better today. We are getting help from the national guard and coast guard. They are doing everything they can to save or property.

I start packing tomorrow...I have a list (and that includes 8 chickens :001_huh:) of things to put up high, things to pack, and things to do. It'll be a busy and stressful few days here. It's a little unnerving packing knowing that what you pack may be the only things you have left in the end. We are used to that with hurricane evacuations but it never gets easy.