Menu

I am just so confused...help!

I am spending WAAAYYY too many hours looking at the websites for HOD, AO, Queen Homeschool supplies, Milestones Academy and Higher Up and Further in, in addition to looking through the plethora of WTM, Biblioplan and language arts resources I already own. My head is spinning.

I am trying to choose curriculum for a whole bunch of sons, first, two ds who will be 11 and in 5th grade in the fall, and a ds who will be 14 and in 8th grade. They are all finishing up the modern history cycle this year, and I think we'll start back at the beginning. HOD's Creation to Christ looks fabulous, but I keep wondering if I can create something using Truthquest and all the books I already own...or use Higher up and Further in, but the weekly lists just make my head spin! And I wonder, will I go nuts with all the boxes to check with HOD, or would that be lovely? Could we still read history together? Would it be a great thing for my memory-challenged 5th grader, and a bonus for the one who is type-A and loves little activities and boxes to check? The older one would read more challenging things on his own.

I am also trying to choose something for my ds(almost)8, who has auditory processing issues, and the HOD Bigger Hearts curriculum I ordered for him, I now realize, is likely too complex in its language for him at this point. And yet the level below (Beyond Little Hearts) will really be too simple, I fear. He is plugging along merrily in Serle's Primary Language Lessons, and loves it, loves the poetry we do with "When We Were Very Young" and "A Child's Garden of Verses." I hate to give those up as parts of our curriculum at this point. Now thinking of doing Queen's Living History of Our World with him, and leaving the parts we like alone.

I think my main issue with a complete boxed curriculum at this point is that I ALWAYS buck the daily schedule, particularly when holidays, illness or just really lovely rabbit trails come our way. I have used, loved, hated, and changed MFW, Sonlight and Biblioplan. Each has had a place, I loved being told what to do each day, and I hated it, LOL! AO has the most freedom I think, and worry that HOD will be too constricting. It is nice to be able to choose to use things like Serle's Language Lessons and to supplement as we like in other subjects, and yet it is exhausting to worry about whether I'm covering everything.

I really don't know what I expect anyone to say, if they've even managed to read this far, but I suppose I am just venting and trying to think "out loud." Thanks for listening!

I am spending WAAAYYY too many hours looking at the websites for HOD, AO, Queen Homeschool supplies, Milestones Academy and Higher Up and Further in, in addition to looking through the plethora of WTM, Biblioplan and language arts resources I already own. My head is spinning.

I am trying to choose curriculum for a whole bunch of sons, first, two ds who will be 11 and in 5th grade in the fall, and a ds who will be 14 and in 8th grade. They are all finishing up the modern history cycle this year, and I think we'll start back at the beginning. HOD's Creation to Christ looks fabulous, but I keep wondering if I can create something using Truthquest and all the books I already own...or use Higher up and Further in, but the weekly lists just make my head spin! And I wonder, will I go nuts with all the boxes to check with HOD, or would that be lovely? Could we still read history together? Would it be a great thing for my memory-challenged 5th grader, and a bonus for the one who is type-A and loves little activities and boxes to check? The older one would read more challenging things on his own.

I am also trying to choose something for my ds(almost)8, who has auditory processing issues, and the HOD Bigger Hearts curriculum I ordered for him, I now realize, is likely too complex in its language for him at this point. And yet the level below (Beyond Little Hearts) will really be too simple, I fear. He is plugging along merrily in Serle's Primary Language Lessons, and loves it, loves the poetry we do with "When We Were Very Young" and "A Child's Garden of Verses." I hate to give those up as parts of our curriculum at this point. Now thinking of doing Queen's Living History of Our World with him, and leaving the parts we like alone.

I think my main issue with a complete boxed curriculum at this point is that I ALWAYS buck the daily schedule, particularly when holidays, illness or just really lovely rabbit trails come our way. I have used, loved, hated, and changed MFW, Sonlight and Biblioplan. Each has had a place, I loved being told what to do each day, and I hated it, LOL! AO has the most freedom I think, and worry that HOD will be too constricting. It is nice to be able to choose to use things like Serle's Language Lessons and to supplement as we like in other subjects, and yet it is exhausting to worry about whether I'm covering everything.

I really don't know what I expect anyone to say, if they've even managed to read this far, but I suppose I am just venting and trying to think "out loud." Thanks for listening!

I don't really have any specific advice, except to say that I know what you mean about feeling trapped by the daily schedule. Invariably we always ended up in week 4 day 5 of science, but week 8 day 1 of history and week 10 day 3 of language arts. Never, never was I able to complete a week as scheduled and it was frustrating.

As long as your children are moving along at a steady pace with progress, then I don't think I would worry about missing anything.

Ambleside Online is pretty great, IMO. It does offer an immense amount of freedom, it's just a matter of sitting down and planning it out. Have you watched "Planning Your Charlotte Mason Education"? It might be a helpful way to make your own plan!

I can't do daily schedules. I've tried, and I feel trapped by them, and then if we have an off day or for some reason don't get that day's work done, I feel behind. I've looked at a lot of what you are looking at, and after going back and forth, I just decided to do my own.

I bought All Through the Ages. I also made an excel sheet that listed 36 weeks, with a section for books, and a section for activities. I use ATtA as a guide on what topics to cover, and what books to use. Then I scour the internet to write down different activities and projects to use. Now, these projects are not all going to get done, it just depends on our mood that particular week:)

I'm going to be doing the same thing for science.

For math and reading, I do not create my own:)

I don't know how helpful this is for you, but I know I enjoy the freedom in the way I'm planning it, but at the same time I'm not flying by the seat of my pants.

As long as your children are moving along at a steady pace with progress, then I don't think I would worry about missing anything.

Ambleside Online is pretty great, IMO. It does offer an immense amount of freedom, it's just a matter of sitting down and planning it out. Have you watched "Planning Your Charlotte Mason Education"? It might be a helpful way to make your own plan!

I haven't watched that, I think that may be just what I'm looking for! It might give me the confidence and skills I need to put together all the materials I'm looking at for next year in an orderly fashion, thank you. I have basically taken whatever curriculum we've used, and adapted it to be more CM, adding in AO selections and my own LA; but I always feel I'm "winging it," and our days can get very long (which is not CM at all).

The children are moving along steadily and thriving, particularly ds13 and one ds10, but my two very visual, dreamy, ADD learners need things constantly tweaked to keep them engaged! I recently learned that written and drawn narrations/notebooking pages do wonders for them; I think that's what drew me to HOD, with its notebooking.

Thanks so much for your suggestion, I will go check that out!

Have you looked at Simply Charlotte Mason's history guides? I think they are newish, and I looked at them pretty closely last year. They are history with Bible integrated, made for combining the whole family, are CM style, and are structured but not too much so. They have a bit of hands-on written in as well, but not much. They looked really good!

If they had more structure and more of a hands on/variety component, they'd be a contender for me. But might work well for what you're looking for. :)

MP

Been there, done that. We've decided to go with Tapestry of Grace. I like being able to combine all my kids (1st through 7th), I like having a "buffet" all in one place. It's pretty overwhelming at first, but after familiarizing myself with it, it's coming together. There are lots of options for books, so it's easy to pick one to fit with each child. The hands-on activities are also right there, so that makes it easier for me to choose one, or not. There is a HUGE amount of depth there, but it's all very flexible and can be customized to fit our needs and our schedule. If we have lots of other things going on, we can skip some of the depth. When we have more time we can go deeper.

I also like that it's a four year cycle, so at least with my younger ones, we'll be going over the same thing again and it won't be all new to me.

I have to agree. I just began using it for the end of year 2 and WOW. I can pick a few higher activities for my 1st grader who is advanced, challenge my older DD with a few Dialectic discussions, use the many book selections that I find are usually in my library, and pull in the art and geography as it fits. I don't feel bad if I leave something out or drag a week out to 7 school days. It really is amazing. Ask Tina(Gilbert)-she is an affiliate and a real pro!

Been there, done that. We've decided to go with Tapestry of Grace. I like being able to combine all my kids (1st through 7th), I like having a "buffet" all in one place. It's pretty overwhelming at first, but after familiarizing myself with it, it's coming together. There are lots of options for books, so it's easy to pick one to fit with each child. The hands-on activities are also right there, so that makes it easier for me to choose one, or not. There is a HUGE amount of depth there, but it's all very flexible and can be customized to fit our needs and our schedule. If we have lots of other things going on, we can skip some of the depth. When we have more time we can go deeper.

I also like that it's a four year cycle, so at least with my younger ones, we'll be going over the same thing again and it won't be all new to me.

Wonderful suggestions, thank you. All Through the Ages has had my eye for some time, I will go look at it again. And TOG - truly, I don't know where to begin to even think about it. I looked at it at a homeschool convention, and have several times gone to the website, but truthfully, I find it so intimidating I have to walk away. Is there a TOG Made Simple website anywhere for folks like me who can't seem to figure out just how it works??? I have heard stories of intense amounts of planning with TOG, as in hours every weekend, which I would like to avoid - and I have worried that this is what TOG requires. Yes? No? Perhaps I should get brave and check it out again!

Thanks!

Wonderful suggestions, thank you. All Through the Ages has had my eye for some time, I will go look at it again. And TOG - truly, I don't know where to begin to even think about it. I looked at it at a homeschool convention, and have several times gone to the website, but truthfully, I find it so intimidating I have to walk away. Is there a TOG Made Simple website anywhere for folks like me who can't seem to figure out just how it works??? I have heard stories of intense amounts of planning with TOG, as in hours every weekend, which I would like to avoid - and I have worried that this is what TOG requires. Yes? No? Perhaps I should get brave and check it out again!

Thanks!

I love the *idea* of TOG, but wow! it is intimidating. really, really intimidating. Someone needs to write a "TOG for Dummies" book. :lol:

I don't really have any specific advice, except to say that I know what you mean about feeling trapped by the daily schedule. Invariably we always ended up in week 4 day 5 of science, but week 8 day 1 of history and week 10 day 3 of language arts. Never, never was I able to complete a week as scheduled and it was frustrating.

I used to be like this for our first couple of years homeschooling. Then I discovered looping on this forum, and it has completly changed our school! I started it mid-way through this year and it's wonderful :D

Let's see if I can explain it where it's understandable and short!

First step, decide how long you are going to do school each day not counting breaks.

Second step, make up your daily schedule of what you want to get done. Not just the have to get done (math, LA, writing), but include all the other stuff (history, art, music, science, foreign language, etc.). You don't have to have the same schedule each day. For example, we do science twice a week, spanish twice a week, etc.

Third step, erase from your mind (and your paper) the idea of Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc. and change it to Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, etc.

General overview: The way looping works is you set a timer and work through your list for each day. You stop when your time that you determined in step 1 is finished. It doesn't matter where you are at, what subject you are on, how far you made it on your list...you just stop (I have to finish a subject if we have started it and it is the end of the day, so if we just have a bit left I go ahead and finish). School is over for that day. The next day, you start with fresh time and pick up where you left off on your list and work until that day's time is over and stop.

Day to day overview: I have a 1st grader so this is how we do it at our house. We school for 45 minutes, then take a 30 minute break. We do this cycle 3 times. Our list for Day 1 looks like this: Bible, Math, Reading Comprehension, Handwriting, Spelling, Read Aloud to Mom, Writing, History, Spanish. We start on Bible...we work through our time cycle. When the timer rings at the end of the day, we are just about to start history, so we stop there. The next day we finish the things we didn't finish from day 1 (history and spanish) and then start our day 2 list. Some days we work through all our work, still have time left, and get to move on to the next lsit.

I have found this method makes us more productive (my dd knows exactly how long she will be doing school so less whining) and we get to do all of those "fun" subjects that I would normally skip because we just didn't have time.

Let's see if I can explain it where it's understandable and short!

First step, decide how long you are going to do school each day not counting breaks.

Second step, make up your daily schedule of what you want to get done. Not just the have to get done (math, LA, writing), but include all the other stuff (history, art, music, science, foreign language, etc.). You don't have to have the same schedule each day. For example, we do science twice a week, spanish twice a week, etc.

Third step, erase from your mind (and your paper) the idea of Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc. and change it to Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, etc.

General overview: The way looping works is you set a timer and work through your list for each day. You stop when your time that you determined in step 1 is finished. It doesn't matter where you are at, what subject you are on, how far you made it on your list...you just stop (I have to finish a subject if we have started it and it is the end of the day, so if we just have a bit left I go ahead and finish). School is over for that day. The next day, you start with fresh time and pick up where you left off on your list and work until that day's time is over and stop.

Day to day overview: I have a 1st grader so this is how we do it at our house. We school for 45 minutes, then take a 30 minute break. We do this cycle 3 times. Our list for Day 1 looks like this: Bible, Math, Reading Comprehension, Handwriting, Spelling, Read Aloud to Mom, Writing, History, Spanish. We start on Bible...we work through our time cycle. When the timer rings at the end of the day, we are just about to start history, so we stop there. The next day we finish the things we didn't finish from day 1 (history and spanish) and then start our day 2 list. Some days we work through all our work, still have time left, and get to move on to the next lsit.

I have found this method makes us more productive (my dd knows exactly how long she will be doing school so less whining) and we get to do all of those "fun" subjects that I would normally skip because we just didn't have time.

This is sheer genius! I tell you I could skip and dance around the room. :grouphug: Oh thank you! I too tend to NOT get things done. Mostly the fun stuff at week's end that I have planned since we go lighter on Friday. I HATE that.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the part about finishing the day before stuff before starting the next day. That is perfect!

So, do you have a set time for each subject or you just do the time blocks or does this vary?

So, do you have a set time for each subject or you just do the time blocks or does this vary?

I'm not sure what you're asking...we don't do math at 9:00 every morning or anything like that. We just use our 45 min. time blocks to do as much work from our list as we can in that time. Sometimes math will fall in the first time block, sometimes the second, sometimes the third. Sometimes we do math in both the first and the third because we make it all around the current day's list and on to the next one.

The only subject we have a set time for is Bible. We do that first before we do anything else in the loop, but I also don't use the timer for Bible because I don't want my dc to think that it is just another "subject." So once Bible is over, my dd 3 goes off to play while dd7, and I start with our loop schedule and our first 45 minute time block.

I hope that answered your question!

ETA--By the way, Hebrews 3:13, when I first read about this idea, I also skipped and danced around the room. I knew it would solve what I felt was "off" about our homeschool, and I was right! Glad I give you a little bit of exercise today :)

Edited by pw23kids

I'd love to hear what "looping" is!

I created something very similar for our homeschool. I was never able to get to everything in one day. I always felt like a failure.

I created a "Cycle" for each of my 3 dc. This is essentially a list of each child's subjects (math, reading, writing, Latin, grammar, history, etc...) Making that list alone helped me to realize that it was impossible to do everything every day or even every week. I had too much on my plate and needed to prioritize.

We begin every day with Bible study, then I read aloud to them for about 30-45 minutes with narrations. After that we use a timer for 15-20 minutes each of reading, writing, and math. I alternate these so each subject gets a chance to be first for the day. Once I get these BASICS (my priorities) in for the day, I refer to their cycle. It is then crossed off their list and we don't come back to it again until we have completed their entire cycle.

Now I can feel success. If nothing else, when life happens at least they complete the basics most days. The real key for us is to use the timer. It keeps us moving forward without getting bogged down too long on one subject. An unexpected bonus is that my dc challenge themselves to see how much they can accomplish before the timer goes off!

I have never tried a boxed scheduled curriculum. Just looking at the weekly schedules makes me feel inadequate. We could NEVER keep up with such schedules. Plus there is always something that would have to be tweaked. I do study all of their websites and catalogs to get ideas and take what works for us and LEAVE the rest.

HTH!