Menu

DD just diagnosed with ADHD

My dd(8) was recently diagnosed with ADHD with anxiety. We had suspected for a while but I wanted to be absolutly sure before having her evaluated and put on meds. Today was her fist day of meds(Vyvanse, 30 mg) and I am not liking the personality change. My dd has gone from always smiling and giggling, to serious and not wanting anyone to even tickle her(she used to beg us to tickle her). Is the personality change normal on these meds? I expected calmer, just not a complete 180. I feel sooo lost! I don't have anyone I know IRL with ADHD(not on meds anyway) to ask about what's normal/what's not. Any info would be wonderful.

I am surprised they started her on 30mg. Ask for 20mg to start!

The "asking for tickling" thing is sensory seeking and yes, the meds will reduce that.

My dad and I were just discussing my 10yo - he's a little "too chilled" on 40mg. (not quite "zombie-ish", but close.) However, 30mg. wasn't enough before. However, I can't help but think that he was *meant* to be chilled/laid back and serious as opposed to the crazy dynamo that he was before meds. Which is "normal" for him, KWIM?

It's hard to balance their need for meds with the desire to have them "be themselves." My ds is happy with where he is, at least for now. He may decide in the future to try and handle life without meds. For now, though, it is in his best interests (and the best interests of the rest of us!) for him to be on medication.

Only you can decide if the benefits outweight the negatives for your daughter. Give it a few days. If it doesn't feel right, try a different med - another one may fit her better.

:grouphug:

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if the dosage may be too high. I hate to lose her playful personality but she was having major difficulty in her schoolwork. She couldn't remember what she was taught 5 minutes ago. With that being said, I know she will have to be on meds, I just wish it didn't change her personality so drastically. I will give it a few more days and if I think it is too much I will call her dr and ask his opinion.

My doc had me cut them in half for the first week.... my son started with half of a 20mg. I did see that his personality changed.... I tried about 5 different med brands and each one had side effects. I was hoping that eventually I would find one without side effects.... never did. One thing I found was that if I exercise him in the morning before sitting down to do school work, he focus' much better. Read this article "Bike riding is my Ritalin" (link below). I think there might be a lot of truth to it.

http://www.bicycling.com/news/featured-stories/riding-my-ritalin

Edited by cat

My doc had me cut them in half for the first week.... my son started with half of a 20mg. I did see that his personality changed.... I tried about 5 different med brands and each one had side effects. I was hoping that eventually I would find one without side effects.... never did. One thing I found was that if I exercise him in the morning before sitting down to do school work, he focus' much better. Read this article "Bike riding is my Ritalin" (link below). I think there might be a lot of truth to it.

http://www.bicycling.com/news/featured-stories/riding-my-ritalin

Unfortunately, you can't cut Vyvanse in half - if you could, we'd have ds on 35mg as opposed to 40. I am hoping they come out with a 5mg pill (to add to the 30mg) or a 35. We may go back to 30 and add in regular Ritalin in the afternoon - we're going to talk to the dr. tomorrow.

If you are dealing with a mild case of ADD, then things like exercise, better nutrition, supplements, etc. would probably help. Those things *do* help my ds (and many others) but not enough. Some parents find that the side effects aren't worth the benefits. In our case, we have one of each - a 10yo for whom the side effects (which are mild) are worth the gain in ability, but a 13yo for whom the side effects were just too much.

My 17.5 yo dd is on 70mg Vyvavse plus 10 mg Ritalin in the afternoon (and since she only weights about `105, it is a large dose). Is she more serious when she is on it? Absolutely, but that is what school and later work time is for. She can't concentrate without it. It doesn't change her personality-she is still an introvert, still likes the same things, etc. But it makes her able to focus and that means there is less to no silliness and much less fidgeting, squirming, etc. Her non medicated behavior is so disruptive that we had to make sure she had a single room in college. She doesn't really like the way she is unmedicated but when she is like that, she doesn't really pay much attention to it or anything else.

Why do you want your child to be tickled during school?

My 17.5 yo dd is on 70mg Vyvavse plus 10 mg Ritalin in the afternoon (and since she only weights about `105, it is a large dose). Is she more serious when she is on it? Absolutely, but that is what school and later work time is for. She can't concentrate without it. It doesn't change her personality-she is still an introvert, still likes the same things, etc. But it makes her able to focus and that means there is less to no silliness and much less fidgeting, squirming, etc. Her non medicated behavior is so disruptive that we had to make sure she had a single room in college. She doesn't really like the way she is unmedicated but when she is like that, she doesn't really pay much attention to it or anything else.

Why do you want your child to be tickled during school?

The comment on tickling was made on Saturday, not a school day. We noticed she was being very serious and when I tried to tickle her she didn't try to move away or laugh. I see a big personality change, but believe it is going to be necessary to be on medication. It was a big shock when we started her Saturday. Yesterday wasn't as bad, so we will try this for a while and see how things go.

Thanks to all of you for the info!

The comment on tickling was made on Saturday, not a school day. We noticed she was being very serious and when I tried to tickle her she didn't try to move away or laugh. I see a big personality change, but believe it is going to be necessary to be on medication. It was a big shock when we started her Saturday. Yesterday wasn't as bad, so we will try this for a while and see how things go.

Thanks to all of you for the info!

The doctor said yesterday to leave my 10yo at 40mg, despite it being slightly too much for him. This is due to the TREMENDOUS gains he has had due to the increased dosage. You may find that she gains back some of her "fun" when her brain adjusts to the meds. If not, don't be afraid to try something else.

My 13yo (who couldn't take Vyvanse due to the really bad side effects) started Focalin XR this morning. He said (at about 11:00am) - "I'm really happy!" Trust me when I say I don't think he's been happy since he was 4!!!!:001_huh: Then, he got all his schoolwork done and went outside and rearranged and organized the shed (which I had been after him to do.) He even put up the shelves and re-organized some of the stuff he had already "organized."

I used to be fairly anti-meds, but I think I might be changing my mind....:D

:svengo:

My 13yo (who couldn't take Vyvanse due to the really bad side effects) started Focalin XR this morning. He said (at about 11:00am) - "I'm really happy!" Trust me when I say I don't think he's been happy since he was 4!!!!:001_huh: Then, he got all his schoolwork done and went outside and rearranged and organized the shed (which I had been after him to do.) He even put up the shelves and re-organized some of the stuff he had already "organized."

It might be a dosage problem, or it might be that her body needs to get used to it, or it might be that a different medication would work better.

My son tried Ritalin and dextroamphetamine, both of which had unacceptable side effects, before ending up with Adderal, which has side effects but they're manageable.

One thing--my son was also diagnosed with anxiety and ADHD. His doctor said that it is generally best to get the anxiety under control before trying stimulant medication for the ADHD as stimulants can make the anxiety much worse.

The doctor said yesterday to leave my 10yo at 40mg, despite it being slightly too much for him. This is due to the TREMENDOUS gains he has had due to the increased dosage. You may find that she gains back some of her "fun" when her brain adjusts to the meds. If not, don't be afraid to try something else.

Renee--This is great to hear!

It might be a dosage problem, or it might be that her body needs to get used to it, or it might be that a different medication would work better.

My son tried Ritalin and dextroamphetamine, both of which had unacceptable side effects, before ending up with Adderal, which has side effects but they're manageable.

One thing--my son was also diagnosed with anxiety and ADHD. His doctor said that it is generally best to get the anxiety under control before trying stimulant medication for the ADHD as stimulants can make the anxiety much worse.

Thanks, that is very interesting. The doctor just changed her medication and I am supposed to let him know at the end of the week how it is doing. I may bring up the anxiety issues when I do.

LOL when hubby started Adderall for his ADD, he spent the entire first day cleaning the house.