Menu

Co-op WWYD?

I have been visiting co-ops near me to see what I think for next fall. I have visited 4 groups. Of course I'd have to be invited to join (if they have space for my girls at their ages) but assuming I would be for all of them based on their preliminary numbers. So, the choices are...

1) This one is a smaller co-op, has about 50 kids IIRC.

Meets every other week

They have a preschool program (although when I visited they were in with the babies but the mom in there at the time had brought in coloring sheets)

Teach or help once a month (for the whole coop time though)

2) This one meets weekly

each Friday has a theme, like the 3rd Friday is 4H day

much more informal (ETA: I think it might be too loosly structured and chaotic for dd1)

more elective, extras type classes

3) This one meets weekly (big plus for both girls with the consistancy piece and will ease seperation anxiety which both seem to have)

About 100 kids in the coop

No pre K program, more of a nursery setting (Big downside since dd2 is a "tag along with the big kids" sort of girl)

No set nursery teachers, a different person every hour of every day (this will probably be hard for dd2)

Help/teach in 1 hour of the day (more mom to mom connecting time)

I would totally pick this one in a heartbeat if it had a better prek setup since dd2 would have 2 years of boredom, although my friend said she could use her itouch to keep her busy. happy0009.gif I was thinking that I'd pack her things to do, but there were also not many her age to play with.

4) Meets twice a month

About 100-115 kids in the coop

PreK program for the 3 and 4 year olds

Help 2 hours or teach 1 hour (usually you help 2 hours your first year)

I would totally pick this one in a heartbeat if it was weekly

Any thoughts for me?

Edited by LifeLovePassion

They will be Kindergarten and 3 years old in the fall.

DD1 will have social skills class and speech at the public school (20 min each once a week, so 40 minutes of commitment) otherwise no other commitments (yet)

I am leaning towards a Charlotte Mason style. I do need a coop as dd1 is very high functioning on the Autism spectrum, but she needs predictible social interaction in specific areas(and all the coops are willing to work with us/her).

4) Meets twice a month

About 100-115 kids in the coop

PreK program for the 3 and 4 year olds

Help 2 hours or teach 1 hour (usually you help 2 hours your first year)

I would totally pick this one in a heartbeat if it was weekly

Any thoughts for me?

Pick this one, don't consider the rest.

BTW, I also have one of "those" two year olds and a nursery type setting would just bore her to tears. You actually might find you deeply enjoy the volunteer commitment. I was very surprised how much I love volunteering with the kids.

If this is the co-op that fits your family best, then these are going to be the most like-minded moms because they have also chosen this style of co-op among the alternatives. This is relevant because you are going to get to know these families very well. I love our co-op. It's a group of different but similar :D families and your children will become very close and attached to the other children. You'll spend time with the families. This works best when their values and attributes are similar to your own. Sure, it only meets every other week - but this will give you the opportunity to have a couple moms/families at your house on the alternating weeks to get to know them better and make relationships.

To me, it's very clear.

For me, the content of the classes, and who was teaching them (as in, are they engaging teachers, do they know their subject well, are they good with kids of that age), would be key.

The rest, we could work with.

It's all about the content.

:iagree: If I don't like the class choices, then it's a no-brainer. We don't even consider co-op unless we're going to get out of it, what we put into it.

Unrelated to your question: why is your dd in a "social skills" class at 5yo?

#2 sounds nice, but I could see why it could possibly be too chaotic and unpredictable for your dd1. I'm thinking #4 would fit your family well. If separation anxiety is an issue for the 3yo, could you volunteer in her classroom? (This is what I do, since I am not comfortable leaving my infants and toddlers; I simply teach the nursery class and do activities with the 3yo if we have them.) #1 also sounds like it might work well; a small group of kids might be nice for y'all, being new -- you could get to know people better and such.

They will be Kindergarten and 3 years old in the fall.

DD1 will have social skills class and speech at the public school (20 min each once a week, so 40 minutes of commitment) otherwise no other commitments (yet)

I am leaning towards a Charlotte Mason style. I do need a coop as dd1 is very high functioning on the Autism spectrum, but she needs predictible social interaction in specific areas(and all the coops are willing to work with us/her).

Honestly, with sweeties this young I would stay home and do park/play dates.

:iagree: If I don't like the class choices, then it's a no-brainer. We don't even consider co-op unless we're going to get out of it, what we put into it.

Unrelated to your question: why is your dd in a "social skills" class at 5yo?

From the brief visit to each co-op, I liked what they were doing this year for the K/1 class and assume next year would follow suit.

As for dd1, she is getting services through the schools/preschool for Autism (but she is very high functioning). Some of her areas that she needs the most help are taking conversational turns while staying on topic and not going on a tangent about a preferred topic. And interacting with non preferred friends.

#2 sounds nice, but I could see why it could possibly be too chaotic and unpredictable for your dd1. I'm thinking #4 would fit your family well. If separation anxiety is an issue for the 3yo, could you volunteer in her classroom? (This is what I do, since I am not comfortable leaving my infants and toddlers; I simply teach the nursery class and do activities with the 3yo if we have them.) #1 also sounds like it might work well; a small group of kids might be nice for y'all, being new -- you could get to know people better and such.

I could volunteer in her class, but I also think she could use the time away from me too. She is fine after she throws a fit for 2 minutes usually. But the other part of it is that I don't really like a room full of little ones since I could use a break with my 2 being more intense (especially dd1, see above). I'd rather work with older kids I think.