Menu

Have you/are you doing Sonlight thru HS?

I'm just curious about those that have done or are doing SL (history cores specifically) thru high school and what your experiences have been?

Have you been happy with the coverage of topics? Have your kids done well on tests-esp ACT?

Did you use their science or other science?

I've only read a few threads on this and it seems there are some extreme reviews-some really loved it and others didn't feel it was "rigorous" enough.

Honestly, my oldest is not going to be an AP student, but I want him prepared for college and to do well on the ACT.

Thanks for your feedback.

Wanted to bump you back up to see if anyone will respond :) I'm not going to be much help but was wondering the same thing today.

My oldest did SL 100 for his freshman year and enjoyed it. The reading level on some the books is lower than other programs, but there is a LOT of reading and it's nice to have some easier books thrown in. He has a good knowledge of American history from that year and I've not regretted it, though we didn't continue with SL.

For my current 14yods I am torn between SL100 or MFW AHL for his freshman year. I really like MFW AHL but I'm just not sure he's ready for the Illiad and the Odyssey. I'm beginning to think that SL100 might be a better fit for this year.

Let's see if anyone else responds.

I've read a lot more on this subject and it's pretty divided. Most of the criticism seems to be that there is not a good world history (thus, tweaking is needed) and that the lit analysis is not deep enough.

But others still love it and feel there kids have been prepared for college just fine.

I'm still curious to hear people's experiences with ACT scores and any CLEP tests they may have taken.

I'm still doing research myself so no decisions here except that core 100 will be done in 7th or 8th grade because it looks good for my son.

I've been very happy with SL for Core 1 - Core 7, and I plan to use 100 for my then-7th grader next year, but my then-9th grader will be moving on, done with SL.

I don't plan to use any SL Cores past 100, or to use SL for any of my kids past 8th grade. (My youngest is on track to do 100 in 8th grade.)

My initial reasons were the concern about challenge level. . . I do expect my kids to do a lot of AP work in high school. (My 9th grader will do AP US Govt next year.) For me, though, the larger impetus was that in more carefully reviewing the book lists for the upper SL cores, I came away believing that they are largely infused with a political and religious perspective that is too far away from my own to make them very worthwhile for us. I think there is much more bias in the upper cores than the lower cores. Also, the religious/biblical stuff seemed even more integrated into the upper cores, which makes it more awkward to leave it out (which I largely do with the lower cores). Especially since I wanted high school history to be more self directed, having a lot to edit out/balance/explain makes them a bad choice for us.

So, I've enjoyed SL for elementary and middle school, but won't use the high school cores.

No rigorous AP high school students here, and not a SL user -- just someone who skimmed SL to see if it would work with our high schoolers or not -- so I can only answer *some* of your questions. Here's my 2 cents worth:

re: Science

I do know that SL does not create their own science after grade 6 ("Core G") -- they offer Apologia Science for middle school and high school grades. A large number of Christian homeschoolers use Apologia textbooks for science, so that is pretty standard.

re: SL high school Core Language Arts IGs

I like a lot of the book lists used by the SL high school cores -- but their LA IG are completely lacking, in my opinion: no teaching of literary elements or literary analysis, no discussion questions, weak composition instruction... I have heard numerous people on this Board say that they ended up having to buy or find online literature guides to go with the classic literature used in the high school Cores because there just wasn't much Literature support there other than a few writing assignment ideas. Some have also had to purchase a writing program, as the Composition instruction is weak in the SL LA as well. In my opinion, whether you are a rigorous homeschooler or not, when it comes to reading, analyzing, and writing about Literature, you really want some teaching text and support!

re: SL History Cores

JMO: while "real books" are nice as supplement, I think you need a cohesive textbook for a spine -- which SL high school cores lack. And while I do like a number of the books in the high school lists, there are a LOT of historical fiction books used for the history portion of the Core that are WAY too YOUNG for high school -- I'm thinking especially of "Core 300", designed for grades 9-10, which has a several books at about a 5th grade level, and a number of books at an easy middle school level. And then, strangely, the Literature portion includes some VERY mature works such as "Brave New World", and "All Quiet on the Western Front", which I would NOT give to a student under age 16 -- it is definitely a book for 11th-12th grade -- or even to wait until adulthood for sensitive students!

I have not seen enough of the History IGs to comment on whether it is enough help and information to cover the material adequately for ACT testing.

If you like the "real book" approach of SL for History in high school, have you considered My Father's World? I am hearing good feedback from people using it for high school. See it here: http://www.mfwbooks.com/category/M50/50 The History uses real books, but also uses the History programs by Ray Notgrass.

You can also just use the Notgrass History solo; see it at: http://www.notgrass.com/index.php Personally, based on the samples, I found the Notgrass "Exploring World History" way too sparse (6000 years of history in 30 weeks, and heavily about Bible readings), so we skipped it. But we really enjoyed the Notgrass "Exploring American History" program.

For English, you might also like the Excellence in Literature programs. While we are not using them, they look like solid programs covering all your Literature and Composition needs, through reading/discussing/analyzing/writing about very nice selections of classic novels, short stories, and poetry. They offer 5 years worth of high school programs. See them here: http://www.everyday-education.com/literature/index.shtml

Ultimately, from what I have seen of SL, I think their grade 1-6 cores are terrific; the grade 7 one looks good; but then after that, I think the SL Cores are just too scattered of an approach for the kind of reading, thinking and *synthesizing* of facts and results (reasons why things are connected) that a student needs to do in high school. Great reading lists -- but not enough direction to really get what you need to out of it, unless you are a naturally great thinker and self-motivated student to do the research and make the connections yourself.

BEST of luck in finding what works best for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

I am going to use 200 next year with my 9th grader. I listened to others and switched to TOG this past year and hated it. I am going back to what my kids and I loved. My kids aren't going to ivy league schools and will mostly likely go to state schools (for college) for money reasons. My kids know way more history then I every did with my public school education and have been exposed to way more literature than I was. I have never used SL LA and I plan to not do all the literature and use some literature guides to go along with some of the books.

I'm just curious about those that have done or are doing SL (history cores specifically) thru high school and what your experiences have been?

Have you been happy with the coverage of topics? Have your kids done well on tests-esp ACT?

Did you use their science or other science?

I've only read a few threads on this and it seems there are some extreme reviews-some really loved it and others didn't feel it was "rigorous" enough.

Honestly, my oldest is not going to be an AP student, but I want him prepared for college and to do well on the ACT.

Thanks for your feedback.

We have used SL with two students through high school with great results. One ds has taken SATs, SAT IIs, and APs with no difficulty and has scored extremely well. Ds was very prepared for college and is excelling in their Honors program. My other ds has not tested yet, but I expect the same results when he does.

As with any curriculum there may be some tweaks necessary to fit your student(s).

So glad you posted, Laurie and Mom22722!

I *meant* to express that SL was not a fit for *us* and why -- but I think my explanation came off more as "dissing" SL and dismissing it for *everyone* -- NOT my intention at all!

There are so many programs out there because our students are unique. And SL IS a good fit for many high schoolers, otherwise they wouldn't still offer it and be in business! ;)

Warmest regards, Lori

So glad you posted, Laurie and Mom22722!

I *meant* to express that SL was not a fit for *us* and why -- but I think my explanation came off more as "dissing" SL and dismissing it for *everyone* -- NOT my intention at all!

There are so many programs out there because our students are unique. And SL IS a good fit for many high schoolers, otherwise they wouldn't still offer it and be in business! ;)

Warmest regards, Lori

Lori,

I did not think you were "dissing" SL at all. I merely posted my family's experience with SL in reply to the original poster's question.

It's always nice to have replies from all angles, just to muddy up the water a bit! :::joking!:::

Laurie

I currently have two high schoolers - one in 9th grade and one in 10th. They are using SL Cores 100 and 200 respectively.

My 9th grader is learning quite a lot in Core 100 (possibly because we are Australian and this is the first time she has done an in-depth study of American history) although she is finding the reading quite easy. We are also using the LA component of the Core while adding R&S grammar and Wordly Wise. My 10th grader is getting a lot from Core 200 and I am happy with it for her level. She is also using the LA along with R&S and WW.

My 10th grader is happy to stick with SL for next year and go on to Core 300. I'm think of trying MFW for my second dd as she is not quite so interested in doing Core 200.

Lori,

I did not think you were "dissing" SL at all. I merely posted my family's experience with SL in reply to the original poster's question.

It's always nice to have replies from all angles, just to muddy up the water a bit! :::joking!:::

Laurie

:D

My graduated ds used SL 400 and 530. The reading just about killed him. He wanted less reading and more assignments. We didn't find it rigorous enough (beyond the load of reading). Unfortunately, that particular ds was/is not a reader. Even having a voracious reader now, we would not use SL ever again and especially not for high school. It just wasn't a great fit for us. Although, we did love Core 5.

• 2 weeks later...
I've looked through the various levels carefully and also noted the disconnect between levels of books. I ruled out the programs for us when I found out that the SL have never actually homeschooled a child through high school. That was in one of their catalogs years ago.

You have GOT to be kidding. :svengo:

Yes, this is true. I believe their kids went into Colorado's public high school system. I would have to go back and search my catalogs for the specifics.

My ds used Sonlight for most of his homeschooling. He is a bright student, loves to read and write, but never was able to get through a complete core. I found the IG's too wordy for us. On another note, Core 400's bible, as far as I can tell by reviews on the forum, is not done by the majority of students. We only picked a few of Core 400's books, only really wanting to do the lit.

My son did take many CLEPs afterwards and passed them all, BUT he had to study other sources too. He commented to me that there were gaps in his learning, especially for world history during the 1800s.

I loved the books, especially in the earlier cores. I did not love the IG for high school. I felt that the student (and the teacher) should not have another 20 pages of information to read for one week's work. An IG should be a guide, not a whole other thing to have to read and digest.

Why did we stick with SL? I was usually pulled into it by the catalogs and all the lovely books. We have fond memories of all those great reads. :)

Edited by LatinTea
I sounded too snippy!

SL is not a good fit for us (although we love the books!), so we are not going to use it for high school, but I found this post very reassuring when I was thinking about it.

I saw this post differently at the time. I was reassured that it was possible, but reading it more closely the parent read every single book that her kids did so she could have adequate discussion and had the DC pull from sparknotes and other resources. They also used other titles including textbooks alongside SL. It sounded like they adapted SL to meet their needs, but it certainly wasn't SL as written. Just something to keep in mind.

I love the books used in SL, but it wasn't enough rigor as written for us beyond middle school, Core 100. I don't find the new Core 100 to be an improvement looking at the new books, I did purchased many of them from amazon to add to our middle school reading.

I've looked through the various levels carefully and also noted the disconnect between levels of books. I ruled out the programs for us when I found out that the SL have never actually homeschooled a child through high school. That was in one of their catalogs years ago.

You have GOT to be kidding. :svengo:

Not wanting to debate this as I haven't yet used SL for HS, but SWB wrote TWTM before her dc were of HS age and it seems to be working well for most on these forums. I know TWTM is co-authored by her mom, Jessie, but I just don't recall how much of a detailed classical HS education Susan and her sibling(s?) received.

I always found it interesting that after the 1st edition of TWTM was published, many hsers tried to implement it *exactly* as was written-and soon became extremely burned out and frustrated. It was only after a lot of criticism that SWB admitted that not even her own daily schedule reflected what she wrote in her book, and then went on to say how each family needed to tweak it as needed to fit their own family.

Just saying...