Menu

Barcode Scanner for REAL ;) books :)

I don't have an I-Phone...

:bigear:

little off topic, but can the iPhone do this? Is it compatible with library thing? The one there was the first place I thought of for a reader. I'm curious to learn more about this.:bigear:

Using something like Red Laser you can bar code scan your books. Then email the file to yourself and import into LibraryThing. Works well I've done so about 3-4 times so far as I gradually scan a box of books at a time.

:hurray:

I had no idea. I'm actually a bit techno-challenged, and when the kids try to tell me all the cool apps and things I can do with my phone I ignore them because honestly I can't be bothered and don't want to turn into one of those adults who can't spend three minutes not attached to her mobile device. My willpower stops at "all" or "nothing" LOL.

Now this ... this sounds like something I need to figure out how to do!! I spent the past week manually typing book information into a Word document, and started thinking yesterday that I was so over it and I wasn't going to finish it (and instead I'd just chance buying duplicates in the future ::grin::!)

Thank you for the directions!

Using something like Red Laser you can bar code scan your books. Then email the file to yourself and import into LibraryThing. Works well I've done so about 3-4 times so far as I gradually scan a box of books at a time.

I'm another that had no idea this was possible and the app looks really cool! Can you explain more how the file and imporation to Library Thing works?

ETA: OMG!!! This is so cool and so easy. I saved my e-mail list to a text file, then imported from my computer as a text (I was rather skeptical that this would work given how the text file looked.) Reading the user agreement on the app caused some slight paranoia, but I figure it's all legal mumble jumble to save themselves and what-not. I just did 6 books in no time at all. I'm going to have fun when I get home!

(Also, not sure if you've all seen the new Library Thing stats feature that they have, but I learned that my book would fill .3 bathtubs! There's all kinds of fun statistics about your book collection there.)

Edited by Jamee

I'm another that had no idea this was possible and the app looks really cool! Can you explain more how the file and imporation to Library Thing works?

ETA: OMG!!! This is so cool and so easy. I saved my e-mail list to a text file, then imported from my computer as a text (I was rather skeptical that this would work given how the text file looked.) Reading the user agreement on the app caused some slight paranoia, but I figure it's all legal mumble jumble to save themselves and what-not. I just did 6 books in no time at all. I'm going to have fun when I get home!

(Also, not sure if you've all seen the new Library Thing stats feature that they have, but I learned that my book would fill .3 bathtubs! There's all kinds of fun statistics about your book collection there.)

Make sure you have the Multiple switch set to on when doing many books - it goes SOO much faster (I didn't see it the first time I did a bunch of books and it took much longer). Now I only have about 14 boxes of books to go through.... (And that doesn't count the kids books that total around 1000 that I have in another app since I'm using LT to keep track of what they've read...)

:hurray:

I had no idea. I'm actually a bit techno-challenged, and when the kids try to tell me all the cool apps and things I can do with my phone I ignore them because honestly I can't be bothered and don't want to turn into one of those adults who can't spend three minutes not attached to her mobile device. My willpower stops at "all" or "nothing" LOL.

Now this ... this sounds like something I need to figure out how to do!! I spent the past week manually typing book information into a Word document, and started thinking yesterday that I was so over it and I wasn't going to finish it (and instead I'd just chance buying duplicates in the future ::grin::!)

Thank you for the directions!

Good luck and hope it goes quicker for you now!!

Make sure you have the Multiple switch set to on when doing many books - it goes SOO much faster (I didn't see it the first time I did a bunch of books and it took much longer). Now I only have about 14 boxes of books to go through.... (And that doesn't count the kids books that total around 1000 that I have in another app since I'm using LT to keep track of what they've read...)

I tried that, but it actually went slower. Maybe I'll try again.