Menu

Should I familiarized myself w/Wicked before I see it the first time OR

just go and enjoy it with very little prior knowledge?

I've only been to very popular musicals (WSS, Grease, etc) so I've always known what to expect.

It would be new to me to go to Wicked without knowing the songs and storyline. But that might be fun.

Any suggestions?

ETA: that should be "familiarize"

Edited by unsinkable

Don't read the book. The show and the book are very different. Just go and enjoy. I love the show and thoroughly dislike the book.

I am a little jealous.:001_smile: Have a wonderful time.

Thanks. I did try the book and have heard that it has little in common w/the musical.

A friend lent me the cd of the music a month before I saw the show and by the time the show rolled around, I was singing along with all of the songs (in my head!) during the show. For me, it made me enjoy the play that much more. (And I had a very general idea of what the play was about from the music, but I definitely didn't know all of the details.)

The book is not that great, and the musical is awesome.

I would say that the best way to prep would be to watch the old Wizard of Oz movie because the musical refers to it in many more ways than just the obvious ones, and you'll enjoy it more if you catch them. It's good either way, though.

I saw it without knowing much about it and it is my FAVORITE now. My daughters and I walk around the house singing some of the songs still.

:iagree: The first time I saw it, I went blind - didn't know a thing about it except it was supposed to be very good...I came home and immediately purchased the soundtrack from amazon MP3 store :-) The second time I saw it, I knew all of the songs..the kids went with me and they already knew the songs. It was great going in and already knowing the music, but the first time I saw it without having any prior knowledge (although I had read the book) was equally amazing. Either way, you're going to LOVE it. I'm jealous! I wish it would come back here soon, so I can see it a third time :D

Have a good time!

The book is not that great, and the musical is awesome.

I would say that the best way to prep would be to watch the old Wizard of Oz movie because the musical refers to it in many more ways than just the obvious ones, and you'll enjoy it more if you catch them. It's good either way, though.

:iagree: I only listened to a couple of the songs first. I kind of liked hearing most of it for the first time at the show.

But I saw Wicked when it had been many years since I'd seen the Wizard of Oz. I kind of wish I'd watched the movie first. Either way, I think you'll enjoy it, but watch the Wizard if you have time. :001_smile:

OK -- Thanks, everyone!

I never thought of watching the Wizard of Oz again!

I am a bit annoyed about the tickets. This AM, I looked on ticketmaster and there were quite a few tickets in the first row balcony, middle section. The handling fee for 2 tickets would have been $21.

I called the theatre and was told they had THE SAME tickets as ticketmaster with NO fees at all. So I decided to take the drive downtown (about 20 minutes each way) and get the tickets.

Well, I got there and the tickets I saw on ticketmaster weren't there. So I got the same first row balcony but all the way to the right. Plus $5 in fees. The tix seller told me the tix I saw must have sold out. OK fine.

I got home and checked ticketmaster and the BETTER tix were still available! Urggggh! I called the theatre back and it turned out they don't have all the ticketmaster tickets. If I had had the correct info, I honestly think I would have spent $16 more for the perfect seats. When I called the theatre, the same man who had sold me the tix was just baffled b/c he was SURE they had the same tix as ticketmaster. It was only when he asked his manager that he found out they don't.

I am happy we are going. DD has been so looking forward to it. I just hate making decisions based on the wrong info.

We are seeing it on Day 2 of the run. I found out they are having a lottery before every show for $25 tickets. Maybe if DH gets some overtime and we really like it :D, I'll take DD back later in the run and try to win some $25 tix.

I find I get more out of a performance if I'm already familiar with the music. So I like to listen to the soundtrack first. (I listen to a lot of musical theater soundtracks even if I've never seen the show -- my library has a good selection.)

The performance of Wicked I saw a few years ago was actually a little disappointing. The soundtrack was great, though.

How about the Wizard of Oz books? Do you think Wicked is more based off of them or the movie?

My dd and I saw Wicked on Broadway and LOVED it! It was just here, but the tickets were more than they were in NY. So we'll just have to plan another trip and see it again there.

How about the Wizard of Oz books? Do you think Wicked is more based off of them or the movie?

My dd and I saw Wicked on Broadway and LOVED it! It was just here, but the tickets were more than they were in NY. So we'll just have to plan another trip and see it again there.

It's totally based off the movie, not the books.