Menu

My just turned 6 year old can play Settlers of Catan!

We now have a new game to play that we all enjoy!!

We watched the movie in this thread and it made me a bit confused. My children both said they understood it. I was a bit dubious, but it turned out they were right!

So, if your younger children are good at math, it's possible. (My son is very math and is engineering minded.)

Interestingly, he is better at Settlers of Catan than Ticket to Ride. He still needs a lot of help or a partner to play Ticket to Ride, he can play Settlers of Catan on his own.

We now have a new game to play that we all enjoy!!

We watched the movie in this thread and it made me a bit confused. My children both said they understood it. I was a bit dubious, but it turned out they were right!

So, if your younger children are good at math, it's possible. (My son is very math and is engineering minded.)

Interestingly, he is better at Settlers of Catan than Ticket to Ride. He still needs a lot of help or a partner to play Ticket to Ride, he can play Settlers of Catan on his own.

:iagree: My 6 year old has played Settlers a bunch. She loves the little pieces and building up her empire!

Settlers of Cattan has been our 'gateway' game, lol. I started a whole thread asking for more games because my kids like Settlers.

The only problem we have is when it is just the two kids. If they want to play together, then settlers isn't that great. It is much better with more than two.

I remember being shocked when my (then) 10 yo taught his (then) 4 yo little brother to play chess. I don't even play chess!

I love it when they learn to play big kid games. Bye Bye Chutes & Ladders! :D

Adding Settlers of Catan to my amazon cart. I keep hearing good things about this one.

I love it when they learn to play big kid games. Bye Bye Chutes & Ladders! :D

I refused to own chutes and ladders or any other mindless games. I just waited until they were old enough to play real games that have a bit of strategy to them.

How much math do they need? My DD can play monopoly.

Not too much, but they do need to be able to figure out how many points they need to win and make sure they don't get cheated when they are trading resources. Lower 1st grade math or end of year K skills, basically.

I refused to own chutes and ladders or any other mindless games. I just waited until they were old enough to play real games that have a bit of strategy to them.

I know what you mean. I had Candy Land once and just moved it from one hiding place to another. I have no idea how we ended up with it (or C&L). I do know how it left. ;)

It really doesn't seem to take much to teach little kids how to play the good games.