Menu

How long do you expect electronics (anything from a car to a vacuum cleaner) to last?

I expect almost everything to last 20 years. In my experience, the father we progress the quicker things die. I have a deep freeze in my garage that is at least 25 years old. My toaster is 20 years old and my popcorn popper is older than that. I have a TV that is almost 20 years old. Our first van died with 250,000 miles on it where as my last one died at 100,000 and was just 5 years old. They were the same models and used pretty much the same. My first microwave still works and is sitting in the garage because we have a built in that is not more than 5 years old and has had to have $800 worth of repairs (I didn't pay for it so don't ask me). My mother had the same washer and dryer the entire time I was growing up. I have to replace my washer and dryer every 5 years. I have to replace coffee pots at least once a year and DVD players about every other year. We are not especially hard on either. Basically we use them for their intended purposes. I am very careful with my stuff and take good care of it. I believe in making things last and not needlessly filling up landfills. I find it frustrating to no end that nothing lasts very long anymore. :glare: Does anyone else find the same thing?

We live in the age of everything being disposable. The majority of items, from small appliances right through to cars, are designed and made to break and wear out, and will be cheaper/easier to replace than fix. I have tried without success to find a blender that will last, but they keep dying and we're currently making our smoothies in the old one that my MIL used in the 1970s. I wouldn't expect anything to last 20 years or longer unless it was made on a small scale by a master craftsman. (Or unless it's something absolutely hideous that I really want to throw away. :lol:)

It really annoys me, the way things are "disposable". With all the talk about pollution, environmental damage, climate change etc - surely one really positive thing that could be done is to make an appliance that will last a bit longer.

Min

If its a good quality,more expensive brand then I expect it to last 20 years but if its cheaper then just a few years.

We have a dualit toaster that is about 31 yrs old and is still going, admittedly the switch is going and can't be replaced as we can't get that spare any more. So when it goes it goes, but so far a spray of WD40 every now and again has kept it going

We have a 20yr old vacuum cleaner that is finally breaking, the plastic has got so brittle its falling apart.

Our washing machines and tumble driers usually make it s to 10plus years with basic maintenance.

We have old cars, they're never less than 8 yrs old, at the moment mine is 17 years old. Though the bodywork is in a fairly bad state and will go long before the engine does.

I think part of the problem is that many people have minimal DIY skills so wouldn't attempt to fix things or have them fixed. Fixing things is just not their mentality so they just replace with cheap versions and it just a cycle they get into.

It infuriates me. My Mom's washer and dryer lasted over 30 years. Sure, she had to get it repaired sometimes, but the repairs didn't cost an arm and a leg and were well worth it. She had the same toaster for 40 years, no repairs. Same for the fridge, the stove, etc.

My washer and dryer lasted 8 years. Our refrigerator lasted 9 years. The stove was better -- it actually made it for 13 years. Dishwashers last 3-4 years. Small kitchen appliances have lasted 1 to 2 years. At one point, we had 5 dead microwaves stacked in our garage. (I was building the microwave wall of shame.) I've had vacuum cleaners last 2-4 years, except that I've had my Dyson for 6 years now and it still works fine. None of these items were worth repairing because the repairs cost as much as buying a new appliance.

Back when I had a Mr. Coffee, I kept it working for 20 years. I took it completely apart twice a year, cleaned it with Q-tips and rubbing alcohol, and put it back together again. When it broke the first time, I discovered that coffee leaks into the housing, and cleaning it fixed it. There were no computerized electronics in it to break back then.

Things seem to be more cheaply made now. The expensive blender I bought turned out to be made of silver-colored plastic, not metal. Also, the computer-electronics in many things are very expensive to replace when they die and make it prudent to purchase a new thingamajig rather than paying for repairs.

I was told by the salesman that we could expect our new washer and dryer to last 5-7 years, no matter what we paid for it.

Our cars are 10 and 11 years old. They each have 100K miles on them. I expect them to last for 200K miles, but I am whistling past the graveyard.

I think things are made now to fail earlier on purpose, so people will have to buy them more frequently. I had a Sunbeam stand mixer that lasted for 25 years and cost $40. After a few years, I wanted a Kitchen Aid, and I used to pray every time I used the Sunbeam that this would be its final outing. No such luck. I hope the Kitchen Aid lasts as long.

Edited by RoughCollie

Given how very poorly made most items are these days, I have no expectation that any electronic product will last more than one day past the expiration of the sad, limited manufacturers warranty.

My case - three coffee pots, two toasters, one vaccuum, and a blender all purchased and in the junk yard in the same year.

Faith

It depends on the item.

Cars I would like to get 15 years out of. We used to think 10 years was a long time, but we are now thinking 15 is a good number. One car we have is almost 15 years old and still going. Another is 9 years old and we still think of it as new! :D

Computers seem to die after 5-7 years. Sigh.

TVs- I expect about 7 years out of. We just had one die.

Furniture so depends on the quality. One LaZBoy set lasted 10 years and the leather LaZBoy set is still in new condition (we do treat it at least once per year with leather cleaner and leather softener/treatment). I know you said electronics, but I added this large purchase in there.

Our toaster is 16 years old and a cheap one and it is still going strong.

I expect appliances to last 15 years at best. Our washer/dryer is 10 years old I believe and has been repaired once.

Dawn

Edited by DawnM

I find it even more sad that there aren't any repair shops around these days. I remember when a broken toaster, radio, or hand mixer meant a trip to the repair shop. Someone fixed the item ( and we did without it for the week or two it was in the shop) and we continued on.

Now, it means running to Target to replace the item. Truly a disposable society.

Given how very poorly made most items are these days, I have no expectation that any electronic product will last more than one day past the expiration of the sad, limited manufacturers warranty.

My case - three coffee pots, two toasters, one vaccuum, and a blender all purchased and in the junk yard in the same year.

Faith

The warranties (both the manufacturer's limited & extensive store-purchased full replacement no matter what) on our refrigerator expired last Monday. The refrigerator stopped keeping things cold on Tuesday. No joke. I tried to call the store, since we have a history with them and it's been our experience that they would be likely to honor the warranty in that case (it's a day, for crying out loud!)... and they seem to have gone out of business since we bought a new refrigerator water filter a couple of months ago. DH blew the coils underneath the fridge out with the air hose, and cleaned the fans... but I'm afraid it just can't be fixed. The deep freezer standing next to it is a good 40 years old & still going strong. I have to manually defrost it three times a year, but it will probably outlive me.

As far as cars go, we currently only have a 1992 F-150. It's a Flareside, and we bought it used because I love the classic look of it. Our Cavalier that just died was a 1999. We replaced the engine once. When it needed done again, we sold it to the first person who could tow it out of the driveway for a few hundred bucks.

My expectations for the lifespan of appliances & electronics get lower every year. :glare:

We tried to get our fridge repaired a few years ago. The repairman who came out said first that it was better to get a new one since our compressor was out. He also said that he's seeing appliances not last nearly as long. He sees them need repairs as early as 2 years old with an average of about 7 years (or less) when it used to be over 12 years before repairs were needed.

We shop using Consumer Reports but even then know that there aren't any guarantees. It's discouraging.

Also, do please look for electronics recycling in your area rather than just tossing the systems in the trash. Parts can be reused.

It use to be that things would last and last for decades.

When we bought our house it had an older refrigerator that we finally decided to replace even though it worked just fine. We bought a Maytag and it died after 2 years. The compressor was still under warranty and after 6 weeks without a working fridge they finally fixed it when we broke down and purchased a missing part that they told us was on back order for several months (but our local repair store had it in stock). Then the fridge died again a couple of years later. This time I couldn't even face dealing with them again and the fridge was no longer under warranty. Since the previous repairs were well over $1000 if I had to pay for it I decided to just buy a new fridge.

I also had a Chevy mini van - needless to say I will never again in this life time buy another Chevy.

No more Kitchen Aide blenders for me. There are lots of things that have broken that shouldn't have. They just don't make things like they use to.