Menu

Summer program for Pre Algebra

I want to push a little harder in math next year. Ds is currently doing Saxon 7/6 and it's just too easy for him. I want to do pre algebra this summer so he can start Alg 1 next fall. Any recs? I'd love an online program but am open to other suggestions.

Thanks!

Okay, so I'm googling the above mentioned recs. Is LOF really thorough? I see it rec. a lot on the boards but I haven't really looked at it before now. And could he get through the pre-alg. books during summer.

For Lial's, I saw a post on another site that it might take 2 yrs. to get through? Is it something that could work for summer?

Thanks for helping me think through this:)

Really? Hmmmm. We use Saxon because he is part of a co-op that will use it throughout his jh and hs years. I like it fine and love that it is independent and has forced him to become better at computations. Since math isn't his strongest subject (although he does not struggle and only makes minor computational errors on tests), I assumed Saxon was just too easy. That's why I wanted to skip ahead.

I haven't really considered another Math besides Saxon. We have also used Singapore in the past, which was great except for their was no drilling of math facts. He will be in a full day co-op class (Challenge A in CC) that will use Alg. 1/2. However, I don't see any reason why he shouldn't go forward this summer with pre alg. He'll just be ahead in class.

Wait - I see that you said BCM would be too easy. What about Lial's Pre Algebra? I looked in a past thread and noticed there is a difference and all sort of different texts - BCM, Pre algebra, introductory algebra, etc. I was going with PA.

I think I'm going to go with LoF! I am shocked at myself. My mean old math teacher brains says it'll never work but ds read the sample, chuckled and did the problems (which I didn't ask him to do). For independent study, LoF is the one that's going to keep him interested.

I'm scared and can't believe myself but I have a back up plan:D I'm going to order Lials pre algebra for a reference and extra problems. Then at the end of the summer, I'll have him take a placement exam to make sure he has covered/mastered what he needs to have accomplished. '

Thanks ladies.

I think I'm going to go with LoF! I am shocked at myself. My mean old math teacher brains says it'll never work but ds read the sample, chuckled and did the problems (which I didn't ask him to do). For independent study, LoF is the one that's going to keep him interested.

I'm scared and can't believe myself but I have a back up plan:D I'm going to order Lials pre algebra for a reference and extra problems. Then at the end of the summer, I'll have him take a placement exam to make sure he has covered/mastered what he needs to have accomplished. '

Thanks ladies.

That sounds like a great plan :001_smile: Good luck!

I see you've decided on LOF, but thought I would offer another option in case someone else is interested. We will be using this one over the summer: http://www.amazon.com/Plus-Notes-Beginning-Algebra-Pre-Algebra/dp/0965435229/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1302918289&sr=8-1 I have it onhand, and it seems pretty thorough. Not 'funny' like LOF (my ds didn't like LOF at all :confused:) But it gives a lot of examples, and plenty of problems with all the answers in the back of the book. It also gives a schedule of lessons to do for just pre-Algebra, with the entire book being pre-Alg through Algebra.

Anyhow, just another possibility for anyone looking. ;)

I see you've decided on LOF, but thought I would offer another option in case someone else is interested. We will be using this one over the summer: http://www.amazon.com/Plus-Notes-Beginning-Algebra-Pre-Algebra/dp/0965435229/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1302918289&sr=8-1 I have it onhand, and it seems pretty thorough. Not 'funny' like LOF (my ds didn't like LOF at all :confused:) But it gives a lot of examples, and plenty of problems with all the answers in the back of the book. It also gives a schedule of lessons to do for just pre-Algebra, with the entire book being pre-Alg through Algebra.

Anyhow, just another possibility for anyone looking. ;)

Thanks for the reminder, I have this book but forgot all about it. I'll be great as an aid for ds doing Singapore discovering math when he gets bugged down and for dd getting ready for algebra.

• 1 year later...
Guest mommom

Looking, too, for supplement to prepare for Algebra 1 in the fall. Curious about the LIFE OF FRED series, and think I might order that...although with his dry humor, he may love it or hate it...I DO know that with dyslexia, he does not like extra reading!! Also interested in some of the others mentioned here...in particular, Rappaport's Survival Guide to Algebra and workbook.

TOO...I am looking for something that can easily be broken down into lesson plans with workbook problems, as opposed to a textbook that I, the teacher, have to break down.

Gotta keep it simple, and the less 'mom involvement' the better...know what I mean~~;)

I want to push a little harder in math next year. Ds is currently doing Saxon 7/6 and it's just too easy for him. I want to do pre algebra this summer so he can start Alg 1 next fall. Any recs? I'd love an online program but am open to other suggestions.

Thanks!

Homeschool Buyers Co-op (free to join, easy to use), is offering free access to one of the online math providers through the summer. The subscription expires at the end of August. Here is a link:

YourTeacher

Thanks!

Besides accelerating to algebra 1, another option would be choosing a deep and challenging prealgebra such as AoPS (depending on the age of your student, that would probably be my personal preference; I virtually guarantee that your student will not find it too easy). (not just for the summer)

Edited by wapiti