Menu

Is Key to Algebra considered a high school Algebra course?

A friend is using this for her ds's high school Algebra 1 credit. I had NO IDEA that anyone would do that. I always assumed the Key To... books were for remedial help. This boy didn't use anything prior, she just put him in the Key To Algebra books because someone told her they were better than Saxon, or any of the other Algebra 1 books. :blink:

Am I wrong then? Are these considered high school level Algebra books? :confused: I didn't say anything to her, of course, but I was inwardly kind of shocked. Have I been wrong all these years??

From the key to site, it says it is intended for up to grade 12

http://www.keypress.com/x5205.xml

Cathy Duffy says it can be used as a 1 year full course

http://cathyduffyreviews.com/math/key-to-algebra.htm

They aren't remedial only, tho they can be used that way and even if they were, it wouldn't mean they aren't a good aloud algebra 1 program.

Lials introduction to algebra is a remedial text, but it is also a solid text for a full algebra 1 course.

I would absolutely use key to before I'd ever waste money on a Saxon text again.

If it works to teach the algebra, then that is what matters. *shrugs*

I was planning to use Key to Algebra for my son's Algebra 1. However, the lady who evaluated him and helped me decide to pursue college for him, suggested that, while it would be fine for Algebra 1, it wouldn't prepare him well for a typical Algebra 2 course. I'm still planning to use Key to, but I'm also going to try Lial's (or perhaps Jacobs) for a complete Algebra 1 credit.

I think the only thing that matters is whether it covers all the material of a typical algebra course and whether the student emerges proficient with those math skills. HOW you go about this is irrelevant.

I agree. I don't care if they are just scratching problems in the dirt in the back yard. All that matters is that they learn what they need to learn.

The Key books are a nice/gentle introduction but do not cover the necessary concepts to consider it a full year course-- it is more of a 'bridge' course between Pre-Algebra and Algebra 1.

The previous poster mentioned Lial as being a 'remedial' course-- it IS a remedial course FOR ADULTS (remedial-- meaning they take it in college but do not earn credit for it)-- but is a 'standard', COMPLETE full year high school Algebra 1 course-- but with extra teaching within the lesson (unlike traditional high school texts). Lial is on the same level as Foerster, and Larson (Chalkdust)... with the difference being a more complete lesson in the student text of Lial.

The previous poster mentioned Lial as being a 'remedial' course-- it IS a remedial course FOR ADULTS (remedial-- meaning they take it in college but do not earn credit for it)-- but is a 'standard', COMPLETE full year high school Algebra 1 course-- but with extra teaching within the lesson (unlike traditional high school texts). Lial is on the same level as Foerster, and Larson (Chalkdust)... with the difference being a more complete lesson in the student text of Lial.

Thanks for saying this... when I saw the previous poster call it remedial I was a little disheartened. I am hoping a more complete lesson explanation will help my son's understanding. But after I ordered it used (found a great deal for all the components plus the videos), I remembered how I tried BCM with him last year and he was paralyzed by the number of problems each day. I'm hoping the Introductory Algebra won't be so overwhelming.

My only point, Jann, was that just the reference to remedial use of a product does not mean it isn't a good text.:)

For all the OP or any of us knows, Key To... is the perfect and best way for that student to meet the minimum algebra 1 credit and progress some in math. She might have no plans whatsoever to have him take a standard algebra 2 text for various valid reasons that we don't know about and really have no business speculating about.:)

Thanks for saying this... when I saw the previous poster call it remedial I was a little disheartened. I am hoping a more complete lesson explanation will help my son's understanding. But after I ordered it used (found a great deal for all the components plus the videos), I remembered how I tried BCM with him last year and he was paralyzed by the number of problems each day. I'm hoping the Introductory Algebra won't be so overwhelming.

ACK! Oh NO! Do not be disheartened! I am so grateful Jann clued me into Lials! It is a great, solid text! That was exactly my point.

We only do the odd problems in a lesson per day. And I think you could divide those up over two days if it is still over whelming to your son. The only time we do the even problems is when he grades his math and sees he really didn't get it. And even then, he only does one even one for each odd he missed.

Sorry to be discouraging. My intent was actually the exact opposite!:grouphug:

ACK! Oh NO! Do not be disheartened! I am so grateful Jann clued me into Lials! It is a great, solid text! That was exactly my point.

We only do the odd problems in a lesson per day. And I think you could divide those up over two days if it is still over whelming to your son. The only time we do the even problems is when he grades his math and sees he really didn't get it. And even then, he only does one even one for each odd he missed.

Sorry to be discouraging. My intent was actually the exact opposite!:grouphug:

Thanks, Martha! I'm just a little nervous in general about our high school plans, esp. with math. My son's test results, while incredible and very encouraging, have also sent me scrambling to change to a college prep approach! LOL I'm feeling a little - ok, a lot - nervous!

she just put him in the Key To Algebra books because someone told her they were better than Saxon, or any of the other Algebra 1 books. :blink:

I would strongly disagree with this part.

Key To has some very good qualities, but my opinion is that it absolutely does not go as far as most Algebra I programs. It's hard to judge it against a program like Saxon that includes geometry and might do things at different times, but I have Key To and have used another program (Math Relief) with 2 kids, and they spent much more time on complex quadratics and such than Key To ever gets to, and there is no Algebra II for Key To so it isn't just doing things in a different order.

For some kids, a strong base and a longer Algebra 2 program might work. But I wouldn't agree that it's "better... than any other Algebra 1 books."

Julie

The Key books are a nice/gentle introduction but do not cover the necessary concepts to consider it a full year course-- it is more of a 'bridge' course between Pre-Algebra and Algebra 1.

Ok, this is what I had always thought which is why I was somewhat dumbfounded. Her ds is a smart kid! It's the mom who doesn't think he really needs Algebra, because she doesn't find that she needs Algebra. So, I wasn't surprised, but then again I apparently was! Ha! I don't need Algebra either, but I sure plan on feeding it to my son at the highest level he can handle. How high remains to be seen. ;)

When she mentioned a lady friend told her that Key to Alg was way better than Saxon, or all the other programs:blink:, and that it's all a child needs for Alg 1, my brain disengaged and went a bit loopy trying to comprehend why anyone would say that to a mom with a more than capable and very intelligent student. :confused: I politely kept my mouth shut while my brain was all a-whirl.

But, I hope I didn't offend anyone with my question. If I did, please forgive me. Believe me, with my oldest ds having an LD, Algebra 1 was pure torture. It took us 2 very long years, and several different programs, to get through Alg 1. He never ventured beyond that in math. We all have our different reasons for the curriculum choices we make, whether it's career goals, learning styles, or LD's, what is great for one child/family is not so great for another. I completely get that and didn't mean to infer otherwise. That's the blessing of home schooling. ;)

Thanks, Martha! I'm just a little nervous in general about our high school plans, esp. with math. My son's test results, while incredible and very encouraging, have also sent me scrambling to change to a college prep approach! LOL I'm feeling a little - ok, a lot - nervous!

I completely understand. I spent about a year feeling freaked out and running around in circles wondering "what do I do?!"

Now I still do it, I'm just not freaked out about it.:tongue_smilie:

A "complete algebra I" course apparently varies from area to area. Ds had algebra I in 8th grade, in a school, which recommended to the receiving high schools that they go into geometry, then algebra II. They did not even cover the equation of a line (any of them) or the quadratic equation! I'm pretty sure Key to... covers those.

BTW, we did algebra I again at home because, in my book, that sounded like pre-algebra.

Key to Algebra is the only program that helped us reach the goal of learning algebra. (We even tried Lials and it was a huge bomb.) My second oldest son was not moving forward with the two programs we tried. Once we found Key to Algebra, progress was made.

Key to Algebra is a thorough Algebra I program (though it does not dive deeply into difficult problems). That said, it can easily be supplemented in its weakest spots. That's what we did. I found a math series by Allen Angel designed for remedial college students. Both are written in simple language with every baby step taught. This is helpful for students who may have "holes," in their math education. Many curriculae assume knowledge. Most of us have struggled over one concept or another, and lots of programs (and teachers too) gloss over these issues. The result is a swiss cheese math education resulting in frustration and often failure.

So, if your friend thinks Key to Algebra is the right program for her son, then I would encourage her to use it. I might also suggest that she be prepared to supplement it in it's weaker spots. If she is an active teacher, then she will know when supplementing needs to occur. If her son feels confident in math as a result, then he will be ready to tackle college math.

We used Teaching Textbooks for my oldest child. It was a great fit and now he's considering geomatics as his major. There are those here who have often said that TT's is not rigorous enough. Well, apparently it was fine for him. Just like Key to Algebra was fine for my second son. His confidence is boosted and he's readily tackling geometry this year.

The lesson I've learned is to mow my own yard and not worry what my neighbor is doing. :lol:

hmm. I was under the impression that key to algebra is more pre-algebra??

No, it is not pre-algebra - not by a longshot. It covers all Algebra I concepts, but it does not always dig into very difficult problems. It is a foundational algebra program. The "key," in Key to Algebra is that every baby step is taught in simple language and a ton of practice is provided.

It's a basic Algebra I program, and covers quadratic equations, systems of equations, etc.

That said, I do think it needs to be supplemented -- Or, as in our case, used as a supplement.

We alternate it with Jacob's, sometimes for additional practice, other times for introduction to a concept. It works for us in the same way that Miquon and Singapore worked well in the beginning years (K-2). When my son gets slowed down in Jacob's, he does a bit of KTA, which seems easy at that point. After a few days, he switches back. KTA is also his "travel" math, when we are out of town. He certainly won't do every page, but it helps solidify and review concepts.

I just received the teachers edition for Lial's Introductory Algebra, and also the book The Way Life Works. I bought this both used to look at for Austin's 9th grade year. The Way Life Works was recommended on a website for approaching Biology through a living books method. I have been afraid that Apologia and the like will be too hard.

Well, I'm looking at both of these books and they seem like a HUGE leap forward. Huge. Incredibly huge.

Fear... panic... terror... despair. These are the feelings running through my mind.

Can someone tell me this is going to be OK? He recently tested "average" after many, many years of testing below average to low on testing. Maybe he is capable of this level of work and I just underestimate him? Does all high school stuff look this complex the first time around??

I picked a bad day to go back on my healthy eating plan. <sigh>

I just received the teachers edition for Lial's Introductory Algebra, and also the book The Way Life Works. I bought this both used to look at for Austin's 9th grade year. The Way Life Works was recommended on a website for approaching Biology through a living books method. I have been afraid that Apologia and the like will be too hard.

Well, I'm looking at both of these books and they seem like a HUGE leap forward. Huge. Incredibly huge.

Fear... panic... terror... despair. These are the feelings running through my mind.

Can someone tell me this is going to be OK? He recently tested "average" after many, many years of testing below average to low on testing. Maybe he is capable of this level of work and I just underestimate him? Does all high school stuff look this complex the first time around??

I picked a bad day to go back on my healthy eating plan. <sigh>

The Way Life Works is fabulous! Break it into little sections. The pictures are not bizarrely unrelated photos like in some textbooks. Those drawings actually help explain the text.

Lial's has tiny font and very little white space. Lial's was not written for young students learning the material for the first time and the design of the pages reflects this. If I were going to use Lial's with a 14yo who had never been taught Alg, I would teach it from a white board instead of from those overwhelming pages.

JMHO-

Mandy

Lial's has tiny font and very little white space. Lial's was not written for young students learning the material for the first time and the design of the pages reflects this. If I were going to use Lial's with a 14yo who had never been taught Alg, I would teach it from a white board instead of from those overwhelming pages.

This is what we do here. It works well.