Menu

MFW ECC users- question

sassenach

I need some help figuring out what I definitely need to buy, verses what I could use alternative resources for. Next year is shaping up to be a financially stressed year, and I need to cut where I can. Here's the list-

Parent/Teacher Supplement (required)

Student Sheets (purchase one per student)

Flags of the World Ultimate Sticker Book (purchase one per student)

Passport (purchase one per student)

World Geography (purchase one per 3rd-8th grader or photocopy)

Hero Tales

Window on the World

God Speaks Numanggang

Illustrated World Atlas

Classroom Atlas

Maps and Globes

Geography from A to Z

A Trip Around the World

Another Trip Around the World

Properties of Ecosystems

Living World Encyclopedia

Global Art

Kingdom Tales

Christian Heroes: Then and Now - six book set

Cameron Townsend

Amy Carmichael

Nate Saint

David Livingstone

George Müller

Gladys Aylward

The Great Animal Search

Fun with Easy Origami

Have you looked for it used anywhere?

I have found that it's usually cheaper to buy a complete (mostly complete) set used than to try to piece it together.

I used the older version of ECC, so it's hard for me to say how necessary certain items are. Maybe another ECC user can give some tips there.

Have you checked the library to see if any of the items are available there?

I have found that it's usually cheaper to buy a complete (mostly complete) set used than to try to piece it together.

I just bought the deluxe package, and it was cheaper than buying the stuff individually. The one thing that *I* could not do without is the Parent/teacher's notes. You could probably do without the deluxe version, but for us, the missionary stories were important.

The one thing that I had to buy extra is The Complete book of Animals. It was not included in either package. I felt it was important because it would work better with my younger daughter.

We could do without some of the art books & origami and could probably find a blow up globe at the dollar store near back to school time (if you even really need one!). And again, depending on your focus, you could probably do without the Wee-Sing cd. I know *I* could do without it; I'll have some of those songs echoing in my brain for the rest of my life! Dh & I joke about that in our old age, people will THINK we're crazy, but we'll just be singing some of these songs from kids CDs...:D

Anyway, I'm not sure if you could find the books cheaper, I did try, but knowing that I needed the teacher's pages and a set of student sheets, those right there are $106, getting all the other books for $250 (give or take) isn't really that bad.

Hope my ramblings help, and make sense!

Shannon, I think all are needed. So, I'm not much help.

Parent/Teacher Supplement (required): master for maps to copy if extras are needed for any reason, plus some things that otherwise aren’t as easy (pre made Chinese checkers board, and one set of geography game for parent or other to play)

Student Sheets (purchase one per student): these are consumable, get them from MFW unless your seller can prove they are complete. (you know.. let buyer beware).

Flags of the World Ultimate Sticker Book (purchase one per student): could be skipped, but is nice to use stickers for passport and other things.

Passport (purchase one per student): you can make your own, but at the cost MFW has it, it’s worth it to have the same kind. They look really good.

World Geography (purchase one per 3rd-8th grader or photocopy): start with one copy of this book, you can copy or other or buy extras later.

Hero Tales: needed all year

Window on the World: get this book

God Speaks Numanggang: even though it is only scheduled early in week 1, I’d love to twist your arm to get a book on Bible translation. You can keep it out for other weeks like reading of Cam Townsend, or even south pacific. This is a gem of a book even if it is “youngâ€. It’s a missionary (David Hazell)telling the story of a missionary family friend of his. Intended audience is for families with children to hear about how families can serve together and to learn about Bible translation.

All of these are part of the program. Maps and Globes is young, but once you buy package, it’s not worth leaving it out.

Illustrated World Atlas

Classroom Atlas

Maps and Globes

Geography from A to Z

A Trip Around the World

Another Trip Around the World

Science:

Properties of Ecosystems

Living World Encyclopedia

Global Art: it’s for the hands on stuff.

All of these are “deluxe†and therefore are “optional†but loved them all.

Kingdom Tales: the mfw edition has some parts edited to be more suited for more Christian audiences, and includes devotional time discussion questions. And I did ECC first edition twice, and got this book when it came out and loved it as summer reading after ECC was done.

Christian Heroes: Then and Now - six book set

Cameron Townsend

Amy Carmichael

Nate Saint

David Livingstone

George Müller

Gladys Aylward

The Great Animal Search - could be left out if you don't have younger kiddos

Fun with Easy Origami : can be skipped if you use other paper and a library book.

-crystal

Another way to cut cost would be to buy the 1st edition of the curriculum used. It has the student sheets in the TM. I have seen some sets sell for as little as just over $100. One word of caution: I don't know if the 1st edition has the supplement for 7th/8th graders so double check that if you have an older child.

I also have found it much cheaper to buy the set as a whole. Whenever I buy it in pieces, it adds up fast.

You could probably skip the deluxe package if you needed to and find the biographies at your library. I don't think you could find the kingdom tales, though, so you might just have to leave that part out. Hope that helps!

I would look for 2nd edition used. If you can find 1st edition used, it should be cheaper than 2nd because it's older, but it's also less user-friendly than 2nd. Plus 2nd has some better tweaks to it overall. However, keep in mind that with buying used, you have to make sure you have the editions of books that match up with the TM. Sellers aren't always forthright about that and it can end up being more trouble than it's worth. Anyway, I understand about money being super tight (my dh was unemployed for several months last year), but you don't want to end up with something that doesn't "work" because the wrong books are missing or whatever. So just a heads up on that. And you CAN use 1st edition... it'll just require a bit more footwork on your part than 2nd.

That said, here's my input on your list (and I mostly agree with Crystal, sorry):

Parent/Teacher Supplement (required) --YES

Student Sheets (purchase one per student) -- YES

Flags of the World Ultimate Sticker Book (purchase one per student) -- YES, but you may be able to find it elsewhere for less $$. Might not be worth doing a separate purchase just for this, though?

Passport (purchase one per student) -- YES, but you can make your own if needed. The ones MFW sells are cheap, though.

World Geography (purchase one per 3rd-8th grader or photocopy) -- Probably not needed unless you want your 3rd/4th ?? grader doing a bit of extra research. Maturity level and handwriting skills, and abilily to do a bit of seatwork?

Hero Tales -- YES

Window on the World -- YES

God Speaks Numanggang -- YES (Some would say this is optional, but I believe it sets the *heart tone* for the rest of the program.)

Illustrated World Atlas -- YES

Classroom Atlas -- YES

Maps and Globes -- See if your library has this. You don't need to buy it if you can borrow it because it's only used in the beginning.

Geography from A to Z -- YES

A Trip Around the World -- YES

Another Trip Around the World -- YES

Properties of Ecosystems -- YES

Living World Encyclopedia -- YES

Global Art -- Depends on how many go-along crafts your kids want to do. There are hands-on activities and cooking included in the TM, so you may or may not "need" this book.)

Kingdom Tales -- YES (This is 3 books in one, btw. Thus, the price. And MFW has added comp/discussion questions at the end of each chapter.)

Christian Heroes: Then and Now - six book set -- YES (Check your library, though I don't know how many YWAM books they would have. There's another set of these available for younger kids, too, which might be less money.)

Cameron Townsend

Amy Carmichael

Nate Saint

David Livingstone

George Müller

Gladys Aylward

The Great Animal Search -- A fun extra

Fun with Easy Origami -- A fun extra

And finally, PRAY. God will provide your needs. Look around and see if you can sell something else in order to buy a complete ECC package. :001_smile:

Another way to cut cost would be to buy the 1st edition of the curriculum used. It has the student sheets in the TM. I have seen some sets sell for as little as just over $100. One word of caution: I don't know if the 1st edition has the supplement for 7th/8th graders so double check that if you have an older child.

Bolding above is my own emphasis.

The first edition does NOT have the 7th/8th grade supplement schedule in it (or at least mine does not).