Menu

I've spent the last 3 hours reading about Nook, Kindle, and e-readers! Help!!

I know exactly what I want, but it doesn't appear to exist (yet). In case I'm missing a product that does do what I want, I'm asking experienced e-reader shoppers for help.

What I would like, in order of importance to me:

1. Able to download library e-books (main reason I want an e-reader).

2. Easy-to-read screen / less eye strain (Headaches are a problem for me when I read a lot)

3. Would LIKE to read in outdoor setting (nature studies, "fun" school outside)

4. Would ALSO LIKE to read at night in dark room without having an attached book light.

5. My budget needs to stay under $300.

Does anything like this exist out there? I'm learning towards the regular Nook, but I wish it had some lighting for night-time reading.

Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!!

Well, it sounds like you pretty much need to decide whether you care more about #2 or #4. Kindle's out with the library book thing. I have a b&w nook Nook, and I've been very happy with it (and I've read tons of library books on it), but, of course, it lacks the reading without a book light thing.

You're right, there isn't one device that will meet all your wishes. Personally, though, that doesn't bother me because I don't expect one size and shape of book to fulfill all my reading needs. Some books need to be bigger, sometimes I need an external light to read, and some books need to use color. So we have different readers to meet those different needs.

But if you want just one reader, you're going to have to decide between your #2 and #4 like kokotg said. FWIW, we love Sony Readers, but it's also nice to have a Kindle for access to their excellent ebook store, and an iPad is great for our family because we have so many ebooks that need color.

We're going to be getting a Kindle, probably next month. I hear they're easier to read, you can read them outdoors, and, since they're not backlit, you'll need a light for nighttime, but you can get a cover that has a light attached to it, and you just plug into your Kindle. We're getting one for DD for her birthday, b/c she LOVES to read in the car, and at night, and she keeps her baby sisters awake.

Isn't the NookColor backlit like a computer? Or is it different so it doesn't create eyestrain like a computer?

No, NookColor is like a computer screen. There are no backlit eink devices, nor are there any color eink devices. If you are concerned about eyestrain, then you'll probably want eink, and that means you cannot read in the dark (without an external light source, of course) and it will be black and white.

I love my Nook.

If #1 on your list is the most important (it is to me) then that eliminates the Kindle.

I like the e-ink and I use a book light or a small flashlight to read at night, just like I would with a regular book.

I think in the future there will be the technology on one device to switch from e-ink to a backlit screen, but we aren't there yet.

Nook Color. The biggest advantage is that it is fairly easy to "root" and override the B&N limits on it's Android platform. For $250, I have a fully functional android tablet. I can read B&N books, I have the Kindle app, and there are also a few other apps for reading that I have. I haven't tried downloading library books, since my library doesn't have that option, but I think it could be done. Another option is to sideload them from a computer connected to the Nook via usb. The thing that I really love is that I can read in my bed with the lights off. I haven't tried it outdoors, but I don't think it would be a problem. The brightness of the screen can be adjusted if it bothers your eyes.

For $250 and a couple of tweaks, I think the Nook Color would work well for you.

Well, it sounds like you pretty much need to decide whether you care more about #2 or #4. Kindle's out with the library book thing. I have a b&w nook Nook, and I've been very happy with it (and I've read tons of library books on it), but, of course, it lacks the reading without a book light thing.

:iagree:

I love my Nook. DH has a Kindle, which is great as well, but it doesn't have the ability to read the library e-books.

DS loves my Nook as well. It's very easy to use and I love that the font can be made bigger for easier reading for him.

I have no problem using a book light (we have some really cool ones that go around your neck) when I need to read in the dark. And it's fine for use outside. If you get a cover with it, it can add some shading if the sun on paper makes it too bright.

But I've read pdf files on my mom's Kindle...why do they say Kindle doesn't support library books, then? Hmmm...

Yes, you can read pdf files on a Kindle, but books you check out from the library have to be read on a device that is compatible with the DRM that library books use. Amazon has not chosen to make that option available on Kindle.

And all libraries use the same DRM? Or the Kindle doesn't do DRM at all?

Kindle has their own DRM, as do most of the various readers. Nearly all (or all, I've never heard of a library that doesn't) libraries use Overdrive for their ebooks, and Overdrive is not compatible with Kindle's DRM. All the rest of the big readers are, but I don't know if Amazon has much incentive to cooperate with Overdrive. They're doing fine without allowing library books in Kindle.

Edited by Amira

I know exactly what I want, but it doesn't appear to exist (yet). In case I'm missing a product that does do what I want, I'm asking experienced e-reader shoppers for help.

What I would like, in order of importance to me:

1. Able to download library e-books (main reason I want an e-reader). Not a Kindle. Most others support this

2. Easy-to-read screen / less eye strain (Headaches are a problem for me when I read a lot) IMO, you cannot beat a Kindle as far as readability. I love the display. L.O.V.E.

3. Would LIKE to read in outdoor setting (nature studies, "fun" school outside) Again, Kindle. No-glare screen. Some sort of fancy ink display thingy. I cannot explain it, but I do know it works super well in direct sunlight.

4. Would ALSO LIKE to read at night in dark room without having an attached book light. Wellll.... The Kindle is not lighted, but you can get a 3G Kindle + a lighted book cover (here) for under $300. I have the green one and I love it.

5. My budget needs to stay under $300. Answered above.

Does anything like this exist out there? I'm learning towards the regular Nook, but I wish it had some lighting for night-time reading.

Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!!

We seriously considered a Nook just for the Library books. Dh got me a Kindle for Christmas. I absolutely loved it until he stole it from me:glare:;). We saw the need (well, desire) for a second e-reader. Dh decided on another Kindle just because we loved it so much. I never thought I would love an e-reader. The Kindle has converted me.

The Kindle does have covers available with a built-in light, which extends out from the top edge when you want to use it. You definitely want e-ink if you want to read outside at length without eyestrain. I have a Kindle (since our library doesn't have any ebooks anyway), so I don't know about cover options for other devices, but maybe similar covers are available on other e-ink readers that can do library books.

There's a great site called MobileRead with lots of information on e-ink e-readers, beyond Kindle and Nook. Lots of helpful people there.

I should have looked before posting. The Kobo e-reader, which can borrow library books, does have a lighted cover available. I bet others do too.

Edited by SunD
add link

Thanks to all you who offered advice on the e-readers. It's always good to hear others' opinions before taking that leap!

I THINK I'm going to ask for a B&W Nook for my birthday in May. I really want to take an e-reader outside with the kids for reading, picnicking, nature study, etc., and that's my top priority. I'll figure out the light situation for reading at night.

I hope my dh can take the hint and get one for me, now!

We have a Sony Reader, Kindle, and iPad. *Love* my Kindle, but I end up reading library on the iPad. Which does cause eyestrain. I would stick with an eInk device.

Just as a heads up, the Free Library of Pennsylvania lets non residents get a library card for $35. It was $15 when I signed up. They have a *huge* selection. It's well worth it. That's about 3 books and then it's paid for.