Menu

Painting....what colors?

We moved into the new house this past weekend and the white is overkill. We can paint anyway we like so long as it isn't too bold. I am clueless when it comes to painting though. our furniture has no rhyme or reason so matching to it is not top priority as it will be replaced someday soon I hope. My kitchen has a brick wall that they painted white I really wish they hadn't I have no idea if I can strip off the white though. I know the little girls want a pink room and the older 2 have requested Meadow green and Lilac colors which I am ok with. I have no idea what color to do the main living areas, bathroom or my room. I really want a yellow kitchen/school room but dh hates yellow. I have a feeling we will be at Lowe's for hours looking at swatches :glare: So give me some ideas. if it helps my floors are all hardwood that where painted brown (that is as lame as painting bricks white but I am not putting all the work into stripping and restoring the floors.

I am always happy with the colors from Restoration Hardware.

What do you think of the medium milk chocolatey color in the third picture on this page? Ugh, I don't think it comes across as well on the computer screen. This is what is now a rental house that we used to live in. When we bought the place we live now, I painted the living room with this same brown. I *love* it. My husband is like yours -- he doesn't like yellow. He likes this brown, and he even enjoyed the red (although I don't know that I'll paint red again, it really ties you down to a color scheme). I'm trying to find a color to paint the dining room that's adjacent to our current (brown) living room -- I'm leaning toward a warm white, OR a robin's eggish but a little bluer blue.

What do you think of the medium milk chocolatey color in the third picture on this page? Ugh, I don't think it comes across as well on the computer screen. This is what is now a rental house that we used to live in. When we bought the place we live now, I painted the living room with this same brown. I *love* it. My husband is like yours -- he doesn't like yellow. He likes this brown, and he even enjoyed the red (although I don't know that I'll paint red again, it really ties you down to a color scheme). I'm trying to find a color to paint the dining room that's adjacent to our current (brown) living room -- I'm leaning toward a warm white, OR a robin's eggish but a little bluer blue.

The color in that photo comes across as almost brown musterd color.

I think a light shade of green looks really good with hardwood (or brown) floors....also, you might show your husband some light yellow/"beigy" yellow swatches and he might change his mind...there are soo many shades to choose from... a light blue would be nice too. I personally am not to crazy about neutrals on the walls, especially with brown floors it might be a bit much...

You might just have to pick a couple of different colors and paint 2' squares in those colors (you can get little sample cans at Lowe's to try out a color) and live with it for a few days and see witch ones work best for you...

Good luck & have fun with it!

Argh, it's the lighting. I think of it as a "hot chocolate with whipped mixed in" color. Warm and yummy, not mustardy at all. It's about the same as me brown in the frame around my avatar.

Edited by milovaný

If you want a yellow kitchen, but hubby hates yellow walls, maybe you could find a nice green and use lots of yellow accents - towels, wall paper border, floor mats, placemats, etc.. I'd go with a light green - sage or something like that - and paint all the trim semi-gloss white. Then I'd find some paint that's complementary for the living area and again keep all the trim bright white.

FWIW, I think brick painted white looks really beautiful. You get the texture without the darkness. If it's not looking bright, it may help to give it another coat of paint. Then I'd put things against it that stand out - copper, or wrought iron ... it can look really good in a kitchen. :)

I have original oak hardwood floors, dark wood furniture, and Nantucket Red Walls with white trim and crown moldings. :D Actually most of my house is done in Alexander Julian Colors. My entry is Periwinkle, although it is a much prettier purple than shown on the screen (I didn't bother configuring my monitor). My kitchen is under emergency reconstruct fom a water leak and I'm trying to decide on a color for that....

http://www.behr.com/dsm-ext/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=6bd8ea6621ca5110VgnVCM1000008119fea9RCRD&vgnextfmt=defaul#vgnextoid=6bd8ea6621ca5110VgnVCM1000008119fea9RCRD;view=14;channel=INSPIRATION

This is the Bher website where you can apply colors to pictures of rooms, or you can upload your own pictures and try out how different colors look. You can print them out, but I think using your own pictures may cost a little. I've had a lot of fun experimenting with their own pictures :D

We just painted our dining room a light blue on top and white at the bottom (the bottom part of the room is wood) with white trim and crown moulding. It is light and airy, and it really looks nice with the contrasting hardwood floors. Good luck, colors are difficult to figure out, but once you find the one you love it all clicks!

Imagine coffee with heavy cream...this is what I just painted my main living area. The kitchen is wine. The half bath is dark brown. It is all beautiful, rich and neutral, even the wine color. We had off white walls before. I got all of my paint at Lowe's and mixed the living room color myself by buying random samples of browns and mixing it with white. Then I had Lowe's color match it. It was the most fun ever.:D Lemme look for a picture...

DSC02128.jpg