Menu

My turn to ask Dr Hive

Ds (3yo) has been vomiting since midnight (it's now a little after 2pm) about every hour or 2. We got him some pedialite this morning and he's had about 2 sippy cups full, drinking in sips, but he still vomits it up after a short time. Dh says he's ok because the time he does keep it down keeps him from being dehydrated, but I disagree. At what point do we take him to a doctor? I really don't want to spend the time and money on the ER if we can treat him at home, but I will certainly take him if it's needed. I just can't decide if it's needed. Oh, ds did have a small bout of diarrhea when he got up this morning, but it did not last long.

Any thoughts on how to get him to keep something down would be appreciated also.

Thank you!

Our Dr. once told us that you just have to 'wait out' a stomach virus.

She said that if it's been a while since the child vomited, give him just a teaspoon of liquid, and see if that stays down. And then if that works, try 2 teaspoons an hour or so later. The hardest part of this is limiting what your child is allowed to have, but it does help when we follow this advice.

Hope your son is feeling better soon!

Stop giving them the sippy cups.

Give the child about a teaspoonful every 5 minutes. It is very very hard to to, when they are thirsty. They are much more likely to keep it down. I use a medicine dropper or other 'fun' way to get the liquid in them. Sucking SLOWLY on a pop cycle sometimes helps, but it is still a bit fast. I used to break pop cycles in to 1"sections and give the kids those to nibble on. (With a paper towel-not the whole piece in at one time).

Dr. told me once 1tbsp of the syrup from canned peaches. It has to be in heavy syrup. Worked like a charm. I know others who have done this as well. Sure beat the alternative administering a suppository and/or going to the ER for hydration.

Hope your ds feels better soon.

Stop giving them the sippy cups.

Give the child about a teaspoonful every 5 minutes. It is very very hard to to, when they are thirsty. They are much more likely to keep it down. I use a medicine dropper or other 'fun' way to get the liquid in them. Sucking SLOWLY on a pop cycle sometimes helps, but it is still a bit fast. I used to break pop cycles in to 1"sections and give the kids those to nibble on. (With a paper towel-not the whole piece in at one time).

Exactly this. As far as going to the ER, listen to your gut and follow DS's lead. If he's starting to get pokey, isn't really peeing too much, or is really vomiting after drinking anything, even a teaspoonful, then he needs to go to the ER. The other option is to call the doc on call- maybe they'd be willing to call in a prescription for an antinausea medication without sending him to the ER - zofran/odansetron comes in a melt in your mouth tablet.

Hang in there (and make sure everyone is washing their hands well!). GI bugs flourish this time of year - and why go they always seem to strike on a weekend?!

If he's getting lethargic, then I'd definitely call doc on call or take him to ER.

However, if he's not, I would try wait till it's been an hour since he vomitted, and do the 1 Tbsp of peach syrup. Then I'd try small sips of water every hour, or half hour, depending on how it is going.

:grouphug: I'm sorry. Tummy bugs are the worst!