Menu

Looking for opinions on Latin Curriculum

We started have completed Song School Latin and now are just about done with Prima Latina. I liked both programs and am debating whether to move to Latina Christiana or Latin for Children next. Would love to hear some pros/cons of each program and why some of you have chosen one or the other.

When I was searching, I talked to a friend at church who teaches Latin, and she said that LC is good, but it's Catholic. We aren't, so I didn't even look at it. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE LfC, though! I was looking for something tough enough to challenge, but fun enough not to overwhelm. Perfect fit! :)

We aren't Catholic either, Latina Christiana is not a problem for us in that regard. I use LFC with my ds8 and it is going well. If your child is accelerated in language LC may move too slow, especially after having exposure SSL. One of the philosophies behind LC is that students should really memorize the grammar of Latin before moving on to reading and translation, there's something to be said for that. LFC has students translating and parsing sentences by the time you are half way through Primer A.

LFC has students translating and parsing sentences by the time you are half way through Primer A.

Yes, very true! I didn't realize LC moved so slowly! I'm very glad we chose LfC. My son eats up things like that. He's much quicker with translations than I am. Like showing work in math, he hates "showing his work" (parsing) in Latin. He just intuitively knows the answers most of the time, where I have to parse things piece by piece (or look at the answer key).

I agree that Latin for Children is a good fit for kids who like to move. I'll also suggest Minimus as a supplement for kids who do well with whole-part and like to read, because it has the kids learning via reading. I don't think it would be a good program by itself, but along with Latin for Children, it's given my DD a chance to feel like she's really using Latin.

We'll be in a similar place this time next year, as we have Prima Latina and Minimus scheduled for next year. I tentatively plan to do LFC A the following year. It just seems more fun that LC, plus it has several supplements (activity book, history reader, and online games and movies) that my oldest especially will enjoy.

Edited by Lisa in the UP of MI

• 2 months later...

We are still going through Song School Latin, but moving very quickly. I just received LfC to start in the fall. I looked at LC, but it did appear to move very slowly, plus dh is determined that ds will learn classical rather than ecclesiastical pronunciation, and it didn't look like that was available with LC.