Menu

What are you serving for Passover?

:lurk5:

Last year was our first Passover dinner. I made Matzo Ball soup but I don't remember what else.

I'm toying with the idea of inviting our house church to join us this year. I hesitate because I don't know if I have room for everyone to have seats in the dining room.

Thanks Starr and Heather! Why can I not pull myself to do this? I feel like I won't do it right and it overwhelmes me.

What else can you serve for the entree? I understand the "significance" of lamb, but I do not care for the taste....tried it once at a Passover Seder 25 + years ago. Help!

My Jewish friend just bakes a chicken and gets a bone for the sedar plate. Look at some of the Passover info on Jewish sites. There is a lot of info out there. The service they follow varies from home to home but it is called a Haggadah. It explains the foods as you go along with the Bible story. The dinner food seems to be flexible. I have another friend that goes to her brother's house and it's all vegetarian. :)

I am up to my eyeballs planning our Family Seder and two others that will be held elsewhere.

I am finding alot of helpful information (menus, etc) believe it or not at Martha Stewart's website.

DH is vegetarian and she has a wonderful halibut recipe there - I will do that for him. For the kids and me, I am thinking brisket or chicken, matzo ball soup, kugel, vegetables, dessert (she has some really fun dessert recipes on the website).

One of the Seders I am hosting is for our homeschool co-op -- it will be Seder and a light dessert afterwards. I am thinking 'super easy' -- spongecake, fresh fruit, whipped cream, some macaroons, and maybe a lemon tart.

Just spend some time reading and getting an idea of what is available that is fun and delicious and appropriate. It doesn't have to be lamb....it just cannot be ham.;)

Please be specific.

I'm still trying to get the hang of Passover (meal preperation) and I'm having a difficult time.

I serve:

Salad

Matzoh Ball soup

Chicken, Potato Kugel, Broccoli, tzimmes (Candied carrots, sweet potatoes, onions raisins etc.)

Charoset

applesauce

I usually have a dish of hard boiled eggs and some cut up raw veggies for the kids to snack on during the Sedar. I know it is not traditional, but I remember being so hungry....and waiting so long for the seder to be over, that I couldn't pay attention to anything except my growling tummy and my head throbbing.....sooooo...I let my kids knosh through the sedar.

for dessert assorted macaroons, jellied fruit candy, fruit salad.

and of course lotsa matzoh and wine.

Faithe

The current Bon Appetit also has a fun Seder menu this year. I am going to try the pistachio-pomegranate haroset to change it up this year -- mainly because the apple-walnut version always tastes like the mortar is supposed to represent to me! (My husband loves it, so this is just my opinion!)

It is a custom in my family to have boiled eggs with salt water at the beginning of the seder meal to remind us of the holiday sacrifices brought in the Temple in Jerusalem. Then we have a customary dinner of boiled chicken on the Seder nights (this is our custom because we only eat boiled meat at the Seder to mourn the loss of the Pascal lamb sacrifice; no red meat for the same reason). So to the pot of boiled chicken I add potatoes and carrots--an easy Seder meal. If you eat "gebrocks" (or wet matzo; some people don't), then you can also add matzo balls.

Because our Seders go for so long, the meal does not start until about 11 p.m., so by that point no one is really all that hungry. We may have a small dessert afterwards, like a Seder mint or another chocolate, but between the hour and all the ritual foods, no one really wants to eat much.

Thanks to everyone!!!

Shifra,

So, no red meat? That's fine! Chicken...good. Isn't it also tradition to bake the chicken in oil? No, I'm thinking of Hanukkah, I think.

Anyway, is there significance then to "boiled" chicken or would baked, grilled, etc be OK?

Also, do you serve parsley for the bitter herb or is there another herb to use on the Seder plate?

THANKS!

Nance, we must have been posting at the same time. Didn't see yours until now or I would have directed to you as well. So, questions above, please!!!

Thanks to everyone!!!

Shifra,

So, no red meat? That's fine! Chicken...good. Isn't it also tradition to bake the chicken in oil? No, I'm thinking of Hanukkah, I think.

Anyway, is there significance then to "boiled" chicken or would baked, grilled, etc be OK?

Also, do you serve parsley for the bitter herb or is there another herb to use on the Seder plate?

THANKS!

Nance, we must have been posting at the same time. Didn't see yours until now or I would have directed to you as well. So, questions above, please!!!

The significance of oil has to do with Hanukkah. We fry latkes in oil on Hanukkah. :)

I don't think it matters how you cook your chicken though for Passover.

We use horseradish for the bitter herb.

The significance of oil has to do with Hanukkah. We fry latkes in oil on Hanukkah. :)

I don't think it matters how you cook your chicken though for Passover.

We use horseradish for the bitter herb.

OK, thanks for that. Yea, I was thinking I was getting something mixed up. But, I do believe I've heard of frying chicken in oil for Hanukkah then.

OK, I'm looking at my Haggahah that I received when we attended a Seder last year. In it is listed:

1. Karpas (parsley or celery)

2. Matzah (unleavened bread)

3. Maror (dipping bitter herbs)

4. Egg

5. Lamb bone

6. Charoseth

OK, I need to research to remember charoseth...I think it's apples and honey?

I'd rather use celery as I use celery and not parsley really in other meals.

Is it ok to use the leftovers of store bought foods in other dishes? In other words, when I buy my bunch of celery must I discard the rest or can I use the rest? I ask b/c I misunderstood that Hanukkah candles are NOT to be reused for anything. It was our first time celebrating Hanukkah and I didn't place the candles right and I messed it up a tad so we had leftover candles! :glare::001_smile: I know you don't have to say it I will, silly me!

OK, thanks for that. Yea, I was thinking I was getting something mixed up. But, I do believe I've heard of frying chicken in oil for Hanukkah then.

OK, I'm looking at my Haggahah that I received when we attended a Seder last year. In it is listed:

1. Karpas (parsley or celery)

2. Matzah (unleavened bread)

3. Maror (dipping bitter herbs)

4. Egg

5. Lamb bone

6. Charoseth

OK, I need to research to remember charoseth...I think it's apples and honey?

I'd rather use celery as I use celery and not parsley really in other meals.

Is it ok to use the leftovers of store bought foods in other dishes? In other words, when I buy my bunch of celery must I discard the rest or can I use the rest? I ask b/c I misunderstood that Hanukkah candles are NOT to be reused for anything. It was our first time celebrating Hanukkah and I didn't place the candles right and I messed it up a tad so we had leftover candles! :glare::001_smile: I know you don't have to say it I will, silly me!

We use parsley dipped in salt water but some people use celery. I don't see why you couldn't use celery left from whatever else you use but I may as well tell you that we are not very religious Jews to begin with so we may be a little loose with our observances!

For the bitter herbs we use horseradish and we eat it on little squares of matzoh.

The charoset is some sort of apple, nut (walnut I think), and wine mixture- I've never actually made it myself, my sister-in-law is always the one to make that and bring it over. It tastes so good, though :D We eat that on little squares of matzoh, too.

Oh, I just looked for it, here's a simple recipe:

http://www.jewishrecipes.org/jewish-foods/charoset.html

We use parsley dipped in salt water but some people use celery. I don't see why you couldn't use celery left from whatever else you use but I may as well tell you that we are not very religious Jews to begin with so we may be a little loose with our observances!

For the bitter herbs we use horseradish and we eat it on little squares of matzoh.

The charoset is some sort of apple, nut (walnut I think), and wine mixture- I've never actually made it myself, my sister-in-law is always the one to make that and bring it over. It tastes so good, though :D We eat that on little squares of matzoh, too.

Oh, I just looked for it, here's a simple recipe:

http://www.jewishrecipes.org/jewish-foods/charoset.html

Oh yes, I know who you are from speaking with you before. :D And, I value your input...perhaps more than you know.

I've tasted the charoset before and it is DELICIOUS!

For wine we should use red?

What day do you serve the meal? I wouldn't make this everyday, or would I.

PS...THANKS for the recipe link, I'll check it out!

Oh yes, I know who you are from speaking with you before. :D And, I value your input...perhaps more than you know.

I've tasted the charoset before and it is DELICIOUS!

For wine we should use red?

What day do you serve the meal? I wouldn't make this everyday, or would I.

PS...THANKS for the recipe link, I'll check it out!

Well thank you for that nice comment. :)

You can use any wine you want (I think lol)... I'm partial to blackberry myself haha- or something sweet! Passover begins at sundown on Monday the 18th so you could have it that night after sundown. The first day of Passover is Tuesday the 19th... you could always do it that day if you want to. We are going to be doing it Sunday the 17th just because that is what works out for getting our family together. :)

Yikes. I haven't done Passover for a few years. I would like to, but I'm beat at the moment. Stupid surgery! We always had charoset with red wine, matzohs, horseradish, parsley dipped in salt water, eggs, my stepdad had Lamb, and...I think that's it. My mom was NOT a good cook! :lol:

I'm doing a literal rerun of last year's menu! (it's been a year, nobody will remember, right?? :lol:)

http://ronypony.blogspot.com/2010/03/pesach-food-2010.html

(I've never heard of the no-red-meat rule and have been served beef in some VERY religious homes... however, it's never ROASTED because that is too reminiscent of the paschal offerings)

For more information about Passover, check out my Passover 5771 Homeschool Resources Roundup:

http://ronypony.blogspot.com/2011/03/pesach-passover-5771-homeschool.html

Also, if you are Christian and thinking of celebrating Passover, you might want to read this.

Best wishes to everybody for a happy and kosher holiday!!!

THANKS!

Sheryl--

Sorry I am getting back to the boards so late; too much Pesach cleaning :lol:!

Yes, the chicken is specifically boiled at the Seder. The Pascal lamb was broiled (ie. barbequed), and since we are mourning its loss, we don't eat any broiled or barbequed meat at the Seder. The rest of Passover, it's alright. By the way, this is only an Ashkenazi (Jews from Europe) custom; non-Ashkenazi Jews do eat lamb at the Seder.

For the bitter herb, most people use either Romaine lettuce or horseradish root. For the vegetable that one dips in salt water at the beginning of the Seder, my family uses celery and my husband's family uses a boiled potato. Any vegetable that is allowed on Passover (ie. not beans, including string beans, according to Ashkenazi custom) can be used.

Yes, the chicken is specifically boiled at the Seder. The Pascal lamb was broiled (ie. barbequed), and since we are mourning its loss, we don't eat any broiled or barbequed meat at the Seder. The rest of Passover, it's alright. By the way, this is only an Ashkenazi (Jews from Europe) custom; non-Ashkenazi Jews do eat lamb at the Seder.

:iagree:

Sorry - I said that red meat is okay, but forgot to mention this.

OK, I'm going to try it this year. Really do it. Nancy and/or others, I'm still confused.

Passover lasts for 8 days? The Seder is the meal, right? So, do you have a Seder EVERY night for the 8 or so days?

Also, I'll be posting my menu for all of y'alls (how's that for southern? :lol:) review, comments, suggestions. I so do want to participate in Passover this year.

we don't eat a specific passover meal, but sheryl, i wanted to mention a a very good book (short & simple). it is called, "the miracle of passover" by zola levitt. he is a messianic jew. it covers specifically what to serve & why. he also has videos (although i've not watched them yet but plan too):

http://www.levitt.tv/media/watch/543-07

OK, I'm going to try it this year. Really do it. Nancy and/or others, I'm still confused.

Passover lasts for 8 days? The Seder is the meal, right? So, do you have a Seder EVERY night for the 8 or so days?

Also, I'll be posting my menu for all of y'alls (how's that for southern? :lol:) review, comments, suggestions. I so do want to participate in Passover this year.

Don't panic!!! Passover lasts for 8 days, but the Seder is only observed on the first night! Outside of Israel, most Jews observe Seders for the first TWO nights. But never more than two. ;-)

But Biblically, the "no leaven" thing lasts 8 days. Whereas the "eat unleavened bread" is only on the first day or two.

Hope this helps!

We always have

chicken

brisket

green salad

matzo ball soup

potato kugel

steamed snap peas

gherkinsalat

and for dessert, MIL makes some kind of kosher for passover angel food cake and macaroons.

ETA: We always have the charoset and boiled eggs and the rest of the stuff for the seder plate, too.

Thanks! I've never made potato kugel, but I make noodle kugel and in fact, almost made it again tonight, but didn't have any noodles! Steamed snap peas....yum. Can you use butter and salt? I'm asking too many questions........

we don't eat a specific passover meal, but sheryl, i wanted to mention a a very good book (short & simple). it is called, "the miracle of passover" by zola levitt. he is a messianic jew. it covers specifically what to serve & why. he also has videos (although i've not watched them yet but plan too):

http://www.levitt.tv/media/watch/543-07

YES! I firsdt learned of Zola from my Aunt. He has a tv program and she used to watch it (my dear aunt is deceased now), but I don't know if his show is carried locally. I hope to remember to check into this. As I told Jay3fer I'm involved in a Jewish ministry group in my church with Jewish people and Gentiles......and upon celebrating Passover with the Jewish Messianic congregation last year and bringing home the haggadah (sp?), I'm still confused. In other words, I need to know if there is only 1 food choice. If so, what. If not, what are the choices and like others have told me in this thread it can't be baked I think....I need to reread. I just don't know all of the "how-to's" and it overwhelms me every year. I'll check into Zola and work on improving my attitude to being able to prepare a Seder dinner. :001_smile: Thanks for your input.

Don't panic!!! Passover lasts for 8 days, but the Seder is only observed on the first night! Outside of Israel, most Jews observe Seders for the first TWO nights. But never more than two. ;-)

But Biblically, the "no leaven" thing lasts 8 days. Whereas the "eat unleavened bread" is only on the first day or two.

Hope this helps!

OH, Jennifer, thanks for lmk that. So, is the first night the 18th or the 17th? Silly question I guess, why would Israel not celebrate for 2 days and outside areas 1 day?

OH, Jennifer, thanks for lmk that. So, is the first night the 18th or the 17th? Silly question I guess, why would Israel not celebrate for 2 days and outside areas 1 day?

No problem! The first night is Monday, the 18th. In Israel, there's 1 day for most holidays; outside, most holidays are 2 days.

The reason as I understand it originally was that it took so long for word of the new-moon sighting to spread outside of Israel that there was some doubt as to which was the ACTUAL day. This was clearly before facebook, twitter, etc, where everybody knows everything the second it happens. :tongue_smilie:

Trivia: Yom Kippur is always one day, because of the hardship of fasting two days in a row; Rosh Hashanah is always 2 days, even in Israel.

As for the steamed snap peas, if you're not Jewish, you can definitely add butter, but religious Jews don't if there is meat served during the meal. We separate dairy and meat totally, to the point of having separate dishes. So no butter with meat - or chicken (fish is okay with dairy for most Jews).

HTH!!!

For the peas you could use margarine (no dairy) and Fish where I nannied was considered parve, so in other words, "neutral"..... I got great at not mixing dairy and meat. Wow... almost 20 years ago.. now.

I love love love... potato knish... and also "mushroom barley" and latkes with sour cream and applesauce... Well... I love Challah and French Toast the next morning with Challah... (spelled either with CH or H, right?? It's been a while.)

;)

Spell it however you like as long as you pronounce it with a Chhhhhhhhh!

(p.s. Some Sefardim, ie Jews from Eastern countries like Morocco, do consider fish pareve (neutral) but nevertheless will not eat it with dairy.)

Sorry, OP - back to the kugel and knishes!

For the seders:

symbolic foods, plus

french fries (along with karpas!)

matzo ball soup

chicken

tomato/basil/onion salad

roasted beets (1st night)

roasted peppers/zucchini/onions/garlic

roasted asparagus (2nd night)

garlic roasted miniature potatoes

chocolate-covered strawberries

YUM!!!!!!! :)

Edited by alpidarkomama

Traditional Ashkenazic-style charoses is apples/walnuts/sweet wine. We're making a Sephardi-style charoses with cooked/mashed dates, bananas, walnuts, apples, and grape juice. YUM. :)

Nance sent me a link for the first one, do you have a recipe for the 2nd one listed with bananas in it? YES, it sounds yummy.

I just made it. I used 3 apples, 2 bananas, 1/2 cup walnuts, 20 dates, and enough grape juice to help it cook in the pan. All the ingredients were diced and then cooked for about 15 minutes. I usually use dried apricots too, but couldn't find any kosher for pesach this year. :( I think it's so much more mortar-ish than the uncooked apple/walnuts variety. :)

I just made it. I used 3 apples, 2 bananas, 1/2 cup walnuts, 20 dates, and enough grape juice to help it cook in the pan. All the ingredients were diced and then cooked for about 15 minutes. I usually use dried apricots too, but couldn't find any kosher for pesach this year. :( I think it's so much more mortar-ish than the uncooked apple/walnuts variety. :)

Thank you and bless you! Wonderful. When it comes to grapes, does it matter? Red or white?