Menu

Is there a science curriculum that is Christian that

Maybe I am confused, lol! It is my understanding of this whole young earth-old earth dilemma, that YE teaches the earth has a literal age (based on a literal interpretation of Genesis) and that OE teaches that no one knows how old the earth is, and still uses creation just not with a 24-hour day timeline. (Did that make it worse? Now I am almost confused myself!!)

I want a curriculum that is creation based. I will teach the theory of evolution at some point, but I believe that God created everything. Hope that helped and please feel free to correct my YE/OE interpretation

You don't have to believe in evolution to believe in an old earth. Check out reasons.org for information on "old earth creationism."

OP, if you look at oldearthcreationism.blogspot.com (I think that's what it is), Krista has listed science curricula and resources for all grades that are free of YE leanings. There have also been a number of threads here as well. Maybe search for Old earth creationism.

Sorry I'm on my phone or I might be able to be more helpful. :)

Not sure what you're looking for . . . Real Science 4 Kids might be of interest to you. It just avoids the issue of origins altogether and focuses instead on non-controversial science concepts such as classification, chemical reactions, and conservation of energy. And it has cute little drawings of atoms locking elbows to bond. There's a biology book, a chemistry book, and a physics book. Each has two versions available that cover the same concepts but are written for different ages (maybe k-2 or 3 for the "pre-level 1" and 3-5 for "level 1.". These books are not going to say, "God designed our world this way . . . "

They also aren't going to be antagonistic toward people of faith. They'll just stick to the science and not get into anything that anyone is likely to want to debate.

Hope that helps.

(This works for elementary grades, but not all the way through (k-12). You'll need something else later on down the road.)

Edited by lakerks
To clarify

Noeo also avoids the issue. It is a literature based program with correlated experiments similar to SL, but sticking to one topic per year. They have 7 levels out so far and will eventually have 9 levels but I don't think they'll go beyond that. We're doing Chemistry I and really like it.

First, I am aware that I do not have to believe in evolution to believe in an old earth. Honestly this whole thing is sort of new to me. I have been homeschooling more than a decade, I have used Apologia (along with some other stuff) in high school, and I do not recall anything ever being said about OE/YE until I read it on here. I simply want a somewhat hands-on (love Apologia's set-up for elementary with the accompanying notebooks) that teaches creation but does not overly emphasize the when. I read on the forums somewhere last night, "I don't care when God created the earth, I just care that He did." That sort of sums it up for me. I have read both sides of the debate and dh leans towards OE. I really haven't made up my mind, and I see no reason to make a huge deal of that right now. Dh prefers that I find something neutral that teaches creation. Hopefully that helps somewhat. We will broach all the hard stuff later. Dd just turned five two weeks ago, we are headed into first grade, and are trying to find her first science curriculum.

That being said, I will be doing more research to see what I can find. Does anyone know if Great Science Adventures is creationist?

First, I am aware that I do not have to believe in evolution to believe in an old earth. Honestly this whole thing is sort of new to me. I have been homeschooling more than a decade, I have used Apologia (along with some other stuff) in high school, and I do not recall anything ever being said about OE/YE until I read it on here. I simply want a somewhat hands-on (love Apologia's set-up for elementary with the accompanying notebooks) that teaches creation but does not overly emphasize the when.

I think the comment that believing in creation doesn't necessarily mean you believe in a young earth was directed to the person who answered your post and was confused, thinking you were looking for a curriculum that taught God created by way of evolution (which actually is yet another creationist variation). The young earth creationists have almost taken over the title "creationist".

I have moved gradually from YEC to OEC beliefs over the past year. If you have used Apologia, you have used young earth creation materials. The high school level Apologia doesn't emphasize it heavily, but does teach young earth. The elementary level Apologia does emphasize young earth teaching, as do BJU and ABeka. All 3 present it as the only Christian understanding of creation that exists. (Answers in Genesis does acknowledge the existence of OEC Christians in their adult materials, but only to discuss why these Christians are "wrong" and "compromising the Bible" (in the opinion of the staff of AiG).

It is very difficult to find OEC materials. I have seen a high school geology curriculum (online only, but free) and a set of elementary PowerPoint presentations explaining what OEC (progressive creation version) believe about the days of creation. In case you want to look at them: http://www.answersincreation.org/homeschool.htm They are probably more suited to children older than 1st grade, though.

I believe most OEC use mostly secular materials. I have always used a mix of YEC and secular materials, and interestingly enough, both my older sons moved on their own to an OEC viewpoint from there (they are also both open to the possibility that God created the universe and world by way of evolution).

Edited by Spock
add link

My ideal science curric would give God the glory without claiming to know EXACTLY how/when He did it. I have not seen anything like this. Not related to this topic, we have chosen to do interest led science for now. My kids were interested in astronomy so we went with Apologia and are enjoying it very much. It is definitely YE but it is nice to read something that does give the credit to God.

My ideal science curric would give God the glory without claiming to know EXACTLY how/when He did it.

:iagree:

One of my friends is married to a scientist who is a Christian...They looked through what seems to be everything looking for what you describe above and cannot find it...

My ideal science curric would give God the glory without claiming to know EXACTLY how/when He did it. I have not seen anything like this.

:iagree: I'd love to find something like this, too ... if anyone unearths a curriculum of that sort, I'd be grateful to hear about it. In the meantime I'm using RS4K and will try to build in an OEC view somehow. :)

I think the comment that believing in creation doesn't necessarily mean you believe in a young earth was directed to the person who answered your post and was confused, thinking you were looking for a curriculum that taught God created by way of evolution (which actually is yet another creationist variation). The young earth creationists have almost taken over the title "creationist".

Yes, exactly. Thank you!

My ideal science curric would give God the glory without claiming to know EXACTLY how/when He did it. I have not seen anything like this. Not related to this topic, we have chosen to do interest led science for now. My kids were interested in astronomy so we went with Apologia and are enjoying it very much. It is definitely YE but it is nice to read something that does give the credit to God.

Look at the God's Creation series by Michael Carroll. He does this very thing. It's not a curriculum but a series of books that would be a great supplement. Space & Time is the first book in the series and would be a great go-along with your astronomy. A few excerpts:

"In the beginning God...Stop right there! These are the first words of the Bible, and they pack a punch. Right at the start, God was the one calling the shots, making the moves, and creating all that creation. The universe was not an uncaring batch of chemicals or an automatic unfolding force of energy. God, the cosmic artist, made it all happen."

He says that some people call it the "Big Bang" and some say the "Initial Creation Event," but "either way, science has proven that the Bible is correct. Instant universe! Just like God said."

Then he respectfully discusses how some Bible-believing Christians believe that God created in six 24-hr days, and that some believe that time is not the same to God as it is to us, and discusses the original language a little bit. "The most important thing of all to remember is this: God did it."

I also have his Volcanoes and Earthquakes and Dinosaurs books. They are well written and are not at all simplistic, while being accessible for younger kids. I'm a fan!

Yes, exactly. Thank you!

Look at the God's Creation series by Michael Carroll. He does this very thing. It's not a curriculum but a series of books that would be a great supplement. Space & Time is the first book in the series and would be a great go-along with your astronomy. A few excerpts:

"In the beginning God...Stop right there! These are the first words of the Bible, and they pack a punch. Right at the start, God was the one calling the shots, making the moves, and creating all that creation. The universe was not an uncaring batch of chemicals or an automatic unfolding force of energy. God, the cosmic artist, made it all happen."

He says that some people call it the "Big Bang" and some say the "Initial Creation Event," but "either way, science has proven that the Bible is correct. Instant universe! Just like God said."

Then he respectfully discusses how some Bible-believing Christians believe that God created in six 24-hr days, and that some believe that time is not the same to God as it is to us, and discusses the original language a little bit. "The most important thing of all to remember is this: God did it."

I also have his Volcanoes and Earthquakes and Dinosaurs books. They are well written and are not at all simplistic, while being accessible for younger kids. I'm a fan!

Heather, these sound great! Can you tell me what the "ideal" age range for these books would be? Also, did you use them only as a supplement, and if so, to which curriculum? Thanks much! :)

Heather, these sound great! Can you tell me what the "ideal" age range for these books would be? Also, did you use them only as a supplement, and if so, to which curriculum? Thanks much! :)

Amazon lists the reading level as 9-12 and I would say that's pretty accurate. However, I wouldn't hesitate to read them aloud to my 6yo. They're very engaging--Mr. Carroll is also the illustrator.

Unfortunately, it looks like some of them are now OOP. I don't have the whole set, but I might look around for the rest of them. We have not used a formal science curriculum; instead, I just have my kids pick out a couple of books from our science shelves about every week and we read through them.

It looks like you can look inside the Rocks and Plants book, and that gives you a pretty good picture of what the series looks like and how it reads.

Hope that helps some.

The closest I have seen to that is a single book--It Couldn't Just Happen. It focuses on evidence supporting that God created everything, and even makes a point of mentioning both YEC and OEC points of view (in the only chapter mentioning when/how God did it) and pointing out that we really don't know.

It covers a variety of science topics, and would be good for one year of science somewhere between 4th-7th grade.

The closest I have seen to that is a single book--It Couldn't Just Happen. It focuses on evidence supporting that God created everything, and even makes a point of mentioning both YEC and OEC points of view (in the only chapter mentioning when/how God did it) and pointing out that we really don't know.

It covers a variety of science topics, and would be good for one year of science somewhere between 4th-7th grade.

Thanks, I will check out both your suggestions. Yah! My library has It Couldn't Just Happen.

Mommahawk, I LOVE that paragraph you excerpted. That is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. I'm going to have to go hunting to see if I can find these. I'm a chicken who has never bought used. Maybe I'll have to give it a try.

Just wanted to add that Bigger Books is re-printing the out-of-print Michael Carroll God's Creation series books at their original prices. This means that if you order it, they will re-print a copy just for you and it will be new. I've checked on at least 3 of these titles that have that option :). I also just picked one of the out-of-print titles up at Paperback Swap, so that's another option.