Menu

Pencil Grip???

mom2bee

How important is pencil grip and physical posture or 'form' in writing in your HS?

So, I met a woman a little while ago at a study table at school and she got on me about the way I hold a pen/pencil writing instrument. (She says its really tacky and akward and I shouldn't do it.) I told her I was using my 'alternate grip' because I'd been writing for about 4 or 5 hours already and that I had typed for several hours last night.

She kept looking at me writing but we continued to talk. Turns out she was a PS math teacher for abillion years or something and now she's getting a college education for some reason or another. I told her I was homeschooled and she nods knowingly. Apperantly I have 'bad form' because I was homeschooled. Not because I didn't use Handwriting books, or because I was taught to write in 2 languages, or because I don't usually write at a desk or any other reasonable reason. Nope, it was because I was homeschooled. Oh, and my teachers (my parents) weren't trained in the way of the Proper Professional Pencil...

She spent about 15 minutes telling me all the things wrong with me as a person and with my academic training, which was pretty rigorous, I think, except we didn't use handwriting books. She concludes her little unasked for spiel with something along the lines that I was lucky in two ways, one I 'actually made it through HS' (to college) and two; at least now I know not to do that (Homeschool) to my kids....Wow. Just wow...

Really? I'm suddenly unqualified to teach my child (or any child) anything because I hold my pencil upright when my wrist is sore???

I can understand that my HS education was 'imperfect' but then again, so is any education that you receive in any school in any country...Perfection doesn't exist in any area of life, I think least of all education.

I didn't argue with her or get angry because, well, the womans a fossil wrapped in papery thin skin and my parents really did raise me better than that, but wow...Just wow....

I think my feelings are a little hurt, so I may just be looking for a pat on the back, maybe some one will agree that she was an ornery old pencil Nazi with a mind narrower than the average .05 mechanical pencil lead who is, maybe a little senile also....:(

I think it's important, but not so important that I would correct an adult, for heaven's sake. Or someone else's child, or someone else on behalf of her child. I would only discuss in a nonpersonal way, say, on the Internet if someone asked my opinion.

Sheesh. Sorry you had that experience. :grouphug:

Yeesh. I was PS'd (good elementary school) and had 'improper grip' that a 5th grade substitute tried to correct in an abrasive manner. I realize why, but I've always had great handwriting and had no trouble taking college notes or writing 20 page love letters (seriously...sad, right? :001_smile:). None of my sisters hold their pens or pencils the proper way either and are just fine. I did grow up in an era that if one were to write a whole book you would use a computer. Perhaps I would feel differently if I had to write 8-10 hours a day?

That being said, yes- I teach my child the correct way from the beginning. But I would never correct another and would go so far as to say it's just not that important.

So, I met a woman a little while ago at a study table at school and she got on me about the way I hold a pen/pencil writing instrument. (She says its really tacky and akward and I shouldn't do it.)

Did you tell her that it was really tacky and awkward of her to speak to you that way, and that she shouldn't do it????

All 4 of my kids have been in a strong preschool, and have been TAUGHT BY OCCUPATIONAL THERAPISTS to write. Two are STILL struggling to maintain a proper grasp. It's not all about the teacher!

No I don't think it is important to teach "proper grip". I do think it's important to show your DC the most comfortable way to hold a pencil, that reduces hand fatigue, if that happens to be the proper way(I really have no clue) then so be it. As for the elderly, overly opinionated, former scool teacher, did she answer to Aunt Dean? Sounds like the bane of my childhood, the "old dear". You were much nicer then I would have been, my polite response would be to laugh and walk away.

I did not read all the way through the pages, but the teacher for both of my girls that learned to write in the ps system did not teach pencil grip. I spent the summers after K and first reteaching the grip, without handwriting books.

That is why you begin humming :) .... so that you don't tell her to stick her pencil in her eye, LOL, or shove it up her nose! <giggle> I taught the girls, all three to hum.

I have NEVER held my pencil correctly (my writing callouse, sp???? is on my 4th finger instead of my 3rd) and none of my ps teachers EVER even mentioned it. My mom would a few times. I have tried writing the correct way and it is VERY sloppy.

My kiddos write like me too. I've tried to teach them the proper way as well, but it is just awkward. I hardly see how it has had any effect on my academic achievement. I mean, I have 2 undergrad degrees (one in education). And, guess what???? None of my college prof. ever said anything about my pencil grip either!!!!

:grouphug:

Thanks guys. I knew you all would cheer me up.

I will work on my pencil technique (I've had an interest in calligraphy) but not for that old shrews sake. Sheesh!

I'm naturally ambidextrous, but my right hand has been trained to be dominant since I was about 4 or 5 and I'll probably spend some time this year training my left hand also...My handwriting is very legible 95% of the time, but my form isn't very good I guess...

Humming is an excellent idea! I don't know why I haven't ever thought of it! :).

My big sis says I should've told her where to stick her pencil and any other sizable writing instrument she could think of :lol:.

PS. What is the 'proper' way to hold a pencil, and why? Is there more than 1 way to hold it? The only reason I can think of is writing stamina...

Is the grip different for cursive and print style of writing?

I have a bad grip and never in my 20 years of schooling has any public school teacher ever mentioned it.

Only in the past year have I been aware of what a proper grip even is. I recently went to a meeting in Denver with all sorts of educated people, and not one of them had a proper grip. Just sayin'. My daughter has an improper grip but still can write hundreds of words (capable of hundreds of sentences actually) a day. So I no longer care about the argument for a proper grip.

Edited by Satori

Here's a pat on the back and a hug.

I'm quite confident that a specific pencil grip is not the hallmark of a good education nor of one's ability to educate others. On the other hand, treating others with respect regardless of their pencil grip just might be such an indicator ... :)

Totally agree with this...

And I'm sorry that this happened! I have personally decided not to worry too much over the pencil grip thing with my kids. LOL. We work little by little.

I had to fix my son's pencil grip, as it wasn't noticed in private school. His hand hurt when writing, and pencil grip was part of that. I used the"pencil flip" method taught in HWT. For right handed writing, lay the pencil down in front of you with the point facing right. Pick up the pencil between thumb and index finger, right above the shaved part of the pencil. Now flip it into the space between your thumb and index finger. Add the middle finger for support, and you have a decent grip.

For left handed writing, do the same thing, but point the pencil to the left.

My own pencil grip is a little weird, and I was public schooled AND had a mom that was a public school teacher before having kids.