Menu

scoring math test question

wapiti

On a chapter test, would you give partial credit for a long division problem that was copied to lined paper with an incorrect divisior, but then after that the division problem was performed correctly? In other words, it was a careless error in copying the problem, not in calculation.

This doesn't matter for any special reason - I'm not giving end of year grades at this point - just wanted to know what you would do. On the one hand, there should be some consequence for careless errors, on the other hand, perfectionistic dd might freak out (i.e. she's in a mood...)

For me, in a homeschooling setting, with an elementary aged child.... I'd say it's okay.

The purpose of the assessment was long division... so if the long division is okay, then it's okay. With my perfectionistic daughter, I wouldn't point out the error at all.

I feel the same way when teaching English or any other subject. For instance, if the focus of the lesson or the assessment is about organization of a paragraph, then I do my best to ignore mistakes in punctuation. Eventually you do have to put it together, but when first learning something, I think it's more helpful to just focus on one piece of it.

For elementary, I'd just say, "Oops, you copied the problem wrong. Do it again and then I'll grade it."

I don't think tests/grades are that important in elementary, but I do think doing something correctly is.

As far as the one she copied wrong being equal to the one she should have copied, perhaps they aren't of the same difficulty--so I'd just have her do it right.

With an elementary student who isn't making mistakes like that all the time, I would either just count it correct (assuming the problem was done correctly even though it wasn't the problem assigned) or have her do it over again with the correct numbers.

For my tutoring student who tended to make a LOT of careless errors (at least 1/4 of the problems copied incorrectly or done incorrectly through not reading what the question was asking for), I count the problem completely wrong. However, I allow half credit back for redoing the problem correctly. Her careless errors have dropped considerably. Almost all the errors she has now are conceptual and there aren't nearly as many of those.

"For elementary, I'd just say, "Oops, you copied the problem wrong. Do it again and then I'll grade it."

I don't think tests/grades are that important in elementary, but I do think doing something correctly is."

I agree totally. I actually have my kids go back and correct all mistakes and discuss them rather than assigning any grade.

For elementary, I'd probably just explain the mistake. For middle school, in a co-op class, I'd take off a point or so. If it was a rare error for a perfectionist child I wouldn't make a big deal of it. If it was an ongoing issue, I'd (in a friendly way) begin to point out how many points had been lost over "not understanding the problem" (usually few if any), vs. how many had been lost over things like dropping a negative or copying the problem wrong, and explain what the grade had been if those mistakes had not been made. If it was a kid with a particular issue (e.g. dyslexia), I'd mention that they may have a tendency towards certain mistakes, which means that they will have to be extra-vigilant. Middle school is the time when this stuff begins to matter quite a bit, as they are laying down work habits that they will need as the work gets harder in the coming years. It's kinder to encourage them to get more careful than to let it go and have it bite them later.

Obviously, YMMV, and all kids are different.

Okay, reading some of the other replies, mine sounds a little harsh.

But I wasn't thinking of 6 or 7 or 8yo. Heck, I don't even use a formal math curriculum until about 3rd or 4th grade and even then we don't jump right into tests.

So I was thinking of logic and up kids, when they make stupid mistakes I count them wrong.

If it was an ongoing issue, I'd (in a friendly way) begin to point out how many points had been lost over "not understanding the problem" (usually few if any), vs. how many had been lost over things like dropping a negative or copying the problem wrong, and explain what the grade had been if those mistakes had not been made.

I also do this. In fact my 11yo took a test today that he got a 67% on when I counted all the little errors. But if I took away all the problems he put in the wrong number of zeros (there was lots of estimating and multiplying), word problems he didn't put lablels on, the problems where he worked with fractions and got them all right but when he simplifed the fraction he didn't move whole part of the mixed number to the answer, and the 4 questions he completely skipped- then he got 92%. That said, working on all the little things is obviously an ongoing problem around here :glare:.

Speaking as a former high school math teacher (and a former engineering student in college), there is always partial credit awarded. My kids are being taught this concept from an early age--mostly so that they learn to show their work. I tell them that when I wrote tests, having the right answer might be worth 1 of 4 points. The other points were awarded based on setting up the correct equation and solving it correctly. So for the case you mentioned, the child would lose the point for setting up the equation (or copying it correctly in this case), but would get the other 3 points for solving it correctly. This is what to expect realistically on high school and college exams. And typically they will not be required to transfer the problem to another paper--they will write on the exam. So to me this is not a big issue to get worked up about. And if it happens often, you might write up the test for the child so you are testing their math skills instead of the copying skills.