Menu

what is a good recommendation for Pre-Algebra?

TinaSC

I have 2 students using Math Mammoth right now and looking for a pre-algebra program.

1) Do I need a pre-algebra?

2) What would be some good choices?

I have a son and a daughter, both are what I would call average in math, not particularly math-minded. any suggestions?

Thanks!

Tina in SC

My 7th grade dd is using the older version of BJU's Pre-Algebra and doing very well. It has been a pleasant surprise for both of us. If you consider it, I'd highly recommend the new 2nd ed. The TM has all the solutions worked out; the earlier edition does not. :glare:

HTH,

Jennifer

I just got Lial' s based on recs here.

Us too. We really like it. Step by step through all the basics, building up to pre-algebra. It is a good, solid review of everything they learn in the earlier math levels. I plan to use it in 6th or 7th for each of my up-and-coming dc. Oh, and it is extremely inexpensive. I purchased it used for $7 on Amazon...it has more than enough math work for a school year. It is actually way more than we were even able to use.

It's important to differentiate between Lial's BCM and Lial's Pre-algebra. A student who has been through MM 5 and 6 might not need the review of BCM. This thread discusses differences:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230905

Another possibility I have my eye on is Russian Mathematics 6 by Nurk http://www.perpendicularpress.com/math6.html

Also note that Maria Miller has reviewed some pre-algebra texts on the MM website.

I bought both Lial's BCM and BJU Pre-Algebra (1st edition) used and was undecided on which to use. Last weekend I sat down with them side by side and compared how they taught different topics. Lial's explanations are very clear and broken down into quite a few more steps than BJU. I have a DS who is "average" in math as well, and decided on Lial's. IMHO I would only use BJU with a child who is stronger in math. I also did a search on here and found some very helpful posts on how others planned out their lessons. The text is a little overwhelming (or was to me :)) and those posts helped tremendously. It's definitely not necessary to do all of the problems. Hope that helps in some way. :)