Menu

books for "The Talk"

Thank you! She's 9, and I'm not ready for any of it! Seriously, though, I just don't want her to be embarrassed and nervous about it. I remember that when I had my period for the first time, I was so embarrassed I didn't tell my mom for 3 days! I had ruined all my underwear by that time, but that's how embarrassed I was about it! Things like that were NEVER spoken of in my house. I don't want that for my kids.

I was super embarassed as a kid also and I didn't tell my mom for a couple of MONTHS! It was only when we ran out of pads that I had to try to casually let her know. I was mortified.

Last year about the time my dd turned 9 I introduced a book (Christian book that you might not be interested in) to her and told her I wanted to talk to her about some changes she would be noticing soon (she's very tall and starting to change quite a bit). She played and pretended not to really listen while I was reading but she did ask a few questions and giggled several times. Afterwards she came up to me and hugged me and giggled some more. Ever since she always laughs and hugs me when the subject comes up. I can tell she's nervous but excited, kwim? Very different from when I was young. I've left it pretty casual. Since I'm a single mom and it is just the two of us in the house, things have always been pretty open here.

All this to say, while it might be a little nerve racking, she might surprise you if you keep it light hearted and open. When you're feeling nervous, she may be excited. Just bring it up a little at a time and introduce a book or two when the opportunity presents itself. I just bought The Care and Keeping of You set from American Girls. I told her they are her books to read when she wants. She immediately took the journal and started filling it out. I'll probably get one of the body books out at some point and read a little to her. I feel that the first step was the hardest and now it is easier to bring up topics as they present themselves.

Edited by gemrae
adding

DD likes the American Girl book, and we also found a similar one. I personally found that the Christian books focused more on sex/love/marriage, and while I appreciated that perspective, we didn't want that yet, just the basics of physical changes. (And the non-Christian ones had references to things that I don't feel are acceptable.) The AG one seemed pretty neutral, just the facts sort of thing. DD is the kind of kid who would be embarrassed if I sat her down and discussed things with her (and while she's seen births and knows how babies grow/are born, she's yet to ask questions about how they actually start growing -- her lack of curiosity sort of surprises me). I thought she'd appreciate being able to read the facts on her own and then ask questions of me if she has any.

My daughter and I read this last year (4th grade, when she was 9) for part of our 'health' curriculum. She'd also already read Who Am I? Where Did I Come From? by Dr. Ruth.

I currently have "Asking About Sex & Growing Up" (revised edition) by Joanna Cole and I'm torn on whether to read it with her now or wait til she's 11. :D