Menu

Is it too much to expect my DD5 to keep herself from interrupting when I read aloud?

This is a kid who never stops talking, so I imagine it's very hard for her. Shes on the computer playing iSpy Treasure Hunt right now, and I can hear her mumbling to herself!

When we read aloud, she interrupts at least once for every page I read. About 50% of the time, she's just observing on the page. Maybe 20% of the time, she's asking a question. And 30% of the time, she's making very astute connections between what we're reading and something else in real life, or making connections between points in the book. But the constant stream of interruptions makes me want to scream by about halfway through the book or chapter! I'm torn between wanting to tell her to continue making observations and thinking of questions but to keep them in her own head (and she'll forget the questions, which makes her extremely upset), and ignoring my own frustration in favor of encouraging her to continue thinking critically.

Is there some way to mitigate the interrupting without squashing her thought process in the meantime? Is this totally age-appropriate, and I just need to ride it out? Should I just be happy that her mind is always on the move and shut up about it? I love that she's constantly thinking while I'm reading, I just wish she wasn't also constantly talking at the same time!

TIA :D

my kids do this all the time and they're older!

Sometimes even the older ones do, with fidgeting and I have to stop reading to tell them to stop, or just coming out with a question, talking right over me while I read. It gets quite frustrating!

Could you let her draw or something while you read so she is occupied in another way? I let my kids play Legos quietly while I read usually.

This is SOOOOO my son. He processes everything outloud and so his mouth is constantly moving. I, like you, wanted him to be interacting with the text and so I didn't want to discourage questions, but it drove me crazy when reading outloud!! I finally told him he had to wait until the end of a page (or paragraph depending) to ask questions and that I would pause at the end and let him ask all the questions that he wanted. I wanted to train him that he can't just interrupt when he has a question or comment, but that questions and comments were encouraged. If he started to interrupt, I would put my finger up that reminded him to wait until the end of the page. He is better about the read alouds now (he is 9) but get ready for a long road because he still process every stinkin' thing out loud and it can be draining to listen to it all!:o

Agreeing with WTMindy. I have my DS5yo (almost 6yo) wait until the end of the page. It drives me nuts but he actually remembers the text better if he can talk about it at the end of each page. For loonger passages (like when I'm reading to the entire family), I keep him occupied with either drawing or builing with legos. He still hears what is going on and retains a ton but his energy is directed towards his hands instead of his mouth. :D

Here too. I *like* my dc to talk about what they are hearing, but listening and remembering is an important skill to learn also. I have found that if I start off by stopping *myself* at the end of a few paragraphs, and asking them about it, then they KNOW that we WILL stop and they can ask then. YOu might need to start off by stopping after just a few sentences, and work your way up to longer sections, but I have found that a lot of my frustration is from wanting to do stuff MY way immediately instead of taking the time to train them into my way of thinking....

;-P

Good luck!

Perhaps. My ds has to be involved in discussion to really learn, and he's 7. As she's only 5, I'd answer all questions and encourage associations, but squelch anything not related to what you're reading (nicely, of course, if you can.) Some kids are just born communicators. Better to teach her how to talk than to shut her up, IMO. I'm guessing she's an auditory learner, and that she needs this, but this is just a guess based on this post!

My ds5 is a constant talker. I don't let him interrupt during read aloud time with his older brothers, he must hold his questions until I ask if anyone has any questions. I ask this question whenever there is a natural break in the reading or every 5 minutes or so. I don't think disciplining him to wait is squashing his creativity.

My ds5 is a constant talker. I don't let him interrupt during read aloud time with his older brothers, he must hold his questions until I ask if anyone has any questions. I ask this question whenever there is a natural break in the reading or every 5 minutes or so. I don't think disciplining him to wait is squashing his creativity.

I agree with this. I think that for my dh it is not squelching creativity, it is teaching him to have a little self-control with his mouth, which he has always had a difficult time with. Every thought that enters his brain enters out his mouth....with lots of noises added in for good measure!

I agree with this. I think that for my dh it is not squelching creativity, it is teaching him to have a little self-control with his mouth, which he has always had a difficult time with. Every thought that enters his brain enters out his mouth....with lots of noises added in for good measure!

Oh yes, our house has what we call a circle flight plan (entry hall - living room - dining room - kitchen - entry hall...) and ds5 will walk round and round talking the whole time. It's funny on one hand, but on the other hand I don't want him to grow up thinking everyone needs to hear every thought that enters his adorable brain. I witnessed my oldest son being shunned, by adults usually, for talking a lot and he didn't talk half as much as ds5.

This used to be a problem in our house. I just stop reading until they stop. It generally works. If it doesn't I ask if they want me to read or not. They hate to miss the story.