Menu

What to use after Sonlight Core 3..MFW?

We have enjoyed Sonlight Core 3 this year but next year I want something different. We did enjoy the books but I didn't care for the fact that their were no activities(we previously used SOTW). I'd like to continue another year of American History studies since we just passed the Revolutionary War...I've looked at MFW (the second year of American History) as well as HOD...would you suggest either of these? Also, any comments on Winterpromise? I know that I could add in activities to the Sonlight Core 4 but I will have a new baby then and I just need it spelled out for me without any extra thought...

(Oh..my boys will be 4th grade advanced readers...if that matters)

Thanks for your help!

I don't have a lot to add as I have only used Sonlight at the preschool level, but I understand that they will begin offering Activity CDs (basically a list of activities associated with each core) beginning next week. Free with each core, an additional charge separately.

With what you've said, I think I'd look into WP's American Story 2 for 4th grade and then I recommend MFW after that (either starting with ECC or CtG depending on if you wanted to do geography or the ancients). I don't know anything about MFW's 1850 to Modern except I thought that it might be too advanced, since they have Adventures for the younger set doing American History.

We had done SL Core 1 and when we moved over to a combo of MFW Adventures plus WP's AS1 my dd thought she was in heaven. She really loved all the craft opportunities that she didn't get with SL.

Blessings,

Brenda

1850-Mod is for 4-8 graders. It will be a little meatier with outlining, writing, and heavier topics as you get into WW 1 and 2. I do know that if you go with MFW they will automatically suggest you start in ECC before you go into the 4 yr history cycle. Which makes sense, but then again you can do whatever you think is a better fit for you and your students.

We love all MFW products! MFW is AWESOME!

HTH

Katherine

Edited by Cornerstone Classical

We're also in Core 3 right now (SL). I add a lot of activities, I've all but thrown out the IG (after Core 1) and we tweak a lot!

I've given examples of this lots of times now, but most recently...we're reading Secret of the Andes...there's a part in the book where Cusi talks about Incan quipu knots and how they were used to record information and also used like an abacus...well, we made quipu knots and used them. It was a lot of fun - my 9 yro actually has hers hanging in her bedroom. :D So, she must've enjoyed it.

My 6 yro is reading Houses and Homes for Core 1 - we're going to make a wooden house and paint it.

There's all kinds of things you can do. You're never just restricted to a TM or IG. Your school is whatever you want it to be.

• 7 months later...

We are using 1850-Modern. We own SL4 as well but aren't using it. In MFW the 2nd-3rd grade books are so good. The regularly scheduled books are much drier and/or advanced. If your boys will be in 5th, they might not mind it. But I wouldn't use it for girls in 5th. You can't just use the 2nd-3rd books and hit all of Modern Times. They are just supplements. We are just finishing Across Five Aprils. Maybe you could get your hand on a copy and see what you think. I think it was a bit over all of my kids heads, but ds8 still likes it a lot. The girls don't complain but don't prefer it I think. I wish we all loved it. I am not sure what else would have worked better for us though.

• 3 months later...
We had done SL Core 1 and when we moved over to a combo of MFW Adventures plus WP's AS1 my dd thought she was in heaven. She really loved all the craft opportunities that she didn't get with SL.

Excuse me please for jumping in on an old post & posting a question.

We are finishing SL Core A, now purchasing MFW Adv. Can you tell me how it went for you? Also, they suggest getting ages 3+ their own student sheets. What do you think? We have the twins 6 doing MFW Adv and the baby will turn 3 as soon as we start MFW Adv.

:lurk5:

Excuse me please for jumping in on an old post & posting a question.

We are finishing SL Core A, now purchasing MFW Adv. Can you tell me how it went for you? Also, they suggest getting ages 3+ their own student sheets. What do you think? We have the twins 6 doing MFW Adv and the baby will turn 3 as soon as we start MFW Adv.

:lurk5:

Hi!

I think you will have a blast with MFW Adv. As far as getting the extra sheets for other dc age 3+, that could be good if they want to feel a part of things. There are some fun cards of different birds and flowers for each state that they could collect... and/or they could glue their cards onto the state sheets and color the states, too. Also, I really recommend the picture books in the appendix that you check out from the library when you start the states study. These were excellent, and MFW already did all the research for you! I also really liked the names for Jesus theme in Adventures, and my dc had fun using a big poster board where they would post all their pictures (ie. Jesus is the bread of life, the vine, etc.).

Hope you have fun and a great year!

Brenda

Why not stick with SL and just add Home School in the Woods' Time Traveler Cds? They are very well done and WP uses them for one of their American history courses. They won't line up perfectly, but just pick and choose activities that are close in time period. Or add in History Pockets.

http://www.homeschoolinthewoods.com/HTTA/TTS/

Edited by Abbeygurl4
forgot to add link