Menu

Taking the kids out of Pvt school in PA and moving to OH and starting HS'ing 4/4

Tell me everything I need to know to take them out and start HS'ing. We are treating the 4/4-4/8 as our "spring break" and plan to start schooling the following Monday. I want to make sure I get all the proper paperwork filled and such. Has anyone made a move like this? Where do I start?

Hi Michelle,

You can read Ohio's homeschool regulations here. It is always best to go back to these whenever you get any advice about complying. There is a lot of misinformation out there. :glare:

You will need to file a notification form for any child of compulsory school age. Here is a sample form. This is from a trusted source and doesn't contain anything extra on it. If you get a form from your school district, they may ask for extra information. Minimal compliance is in the best interest of all Ohio homeschoolers. :001_smile:

When you submit your notification for next year, any children who were homeschooled this year will also need either an acadmic assessment (sample form), an assurance of adequate standardized test scores (sample form), or some other type of assessment agreed upon by you and the district.

If you have any questions about the notification, just ask. I did them for many years before we moved over the border. :)

:hurray: and OH is pretty easy.

You need to send in a letter of intent and a letter of assurance that you are going to teach the subjects required with a list of your resources. When we moved here mid-year, I stated in my LOI that I arrived on OH on (such-a-such a date) and am beginning our homeschool on (such-a-such a date). Several of the subjects on my list read "Books chosen from Public and Home Libraries" as the resource.

The OH state homeschool website has forms you can print out and send in to your district.

Hi Michelle,

You can read Ohio's homeschool regulations here. It is always best to go back to these whenever you get any advice about complying. There is a lot of misinformation out there. :glare:

You will need to file a notification form for any child of compulsory school age. Here is a sample form. This is from a trusted source and doesn't contain anything extra on it. If you get a form from your school district, they may ask for extra information. Minimal compliance is in the best interest of all Ohio homeschoolers. :001_smile:

When you submit your notification for next year, any children who were homeschooled this year will also need either an acadmic assessment (sample form), an assurance of adequate standardized test scores (sample form), or some other type of assessment agreed upon by you and the district.

If you have any questions about the notification, just ask. I did them for many years before we moved over the border. :)

:iagree::iagree: In addition, compulsory age here is 6, so you will only have to file notices for your older 2 this time. Where in Ohio are you guys moving?

Here are the notification forms I use each year.

http://www.cheohome.org/images/stories/pdf/notificationform.pdf

I fill that out and send it in with a list of intended curriculum and an outline of what we will be doing for each subject (a short outline).

You do not need an academic assessment this time. In fact, I didn't need it till the next year. We moved to OH the first week of May and I didn't submit my notification form because it was so close to the end of the year. I submitted my first notification in August for the next school year (and I didn't need an academic assessment).

I don't know that that was exactly legit, but I didn't think that they would want to mess with the paperwork for all of 5 weeks of schooling.

:iagree::iagree: In addition, compulsory age here is 6, so you will only have to file notices for your older 2 this time. Where in Ohio are you guys moving?

Steubenville....or "just barley Ohio" as we are calling it right now :lol:

Here are the notification forms I use each year.

http://www.cheohome.org/images/stories/pdf/notificationform.pdf

I fill that out and send it in with a list of intended curriculum and an outline of what we will be doing for each subject (a short outline).

You do not need an academic assessment this time. In fact, I didn't need it till the next year. We moved to OH the first week of May and I didn't submit my notification form because it was so close to the end of the year. I submitted my first notification in August for the next school year (and I didn't need an academic assessment).

I don't know that that was exactly legit, but I didn't think that they would want to mess with the paperwork for all of 5 weeks of schooling.

I think I will call and let them know that we are moving and the kids have been in Pvt School but I will be HS'ing for the remaining 7-8 weeks of school. I just don't want a truancy officer at my door or something. If they tell me I need to file I will. Otherwise I am just going to "promote" the girls to the next grade and start on next years work.

:hurray: and OH is pretty easy.

You need to send in a letter of intent and a letter of assurance that you are going to teach the subjects required with a list of your resources. When we moved here mid-year, I stated in my LOI that I arrived on OH on (such-a-such a date) and am beginning our homeschool on (such-a-such a date). Several of the subjects on my list read "Books chosen from Public and Home Libraries" as the resource.

The OH state homeschool website has forms you can print out and send in to your district.

:lol: I knew you would be excited lol.

Do your Letters of intent neednotarizedd? we have to do that here. I didn't see a spot for that on the forms.

I know to here in PA we have to submit physicals, dental exams and shot records ( I submit vaccination objection forms) Do I have to deal with that in OH too?

I know to here in PA we have to submit physicals, dental exams and shot records ( I submit vaccination objection forms) Do I have to deal with that in OH too?

No notarized forms.

No physicals.

No dental exams.

No shot records.

Just the forms Angela OH originally linked to.

I think I will call and let them know that we are moving and the kids have been in Pvt School but I will be HS'ing for the remaining 7-8 weeks of school. I just don't want a truancy officer at my door or something. If they tell me I need to file I will. Otherwise I am just going to "promote" the girls to the next grade and start on next years work.

I wouldn't want a truancy officer either ;) Good idea about calling. I was pretty clueless when we starting homeschooling.

Do your Letters of intent neednotarizedd? we have to do that here. I didn't see a spot for that on the forms.

Our letters of intent do not need to be notarized. Though I do send it with an return receipt so I know the district has received it. We also do not have to submit any of those medical records. :blink: I hope we never have to move to PA!!

No on all counts. Welcome to Buckeye Country!

Steubenville....or "just barley Ohio" as we are calling it right now :lol:

You definitely want to notify, even for a partial year.

My college roommate was from Gnadenhutten, and she always called it Stupidville (they were high school rivals.) :D

Goodness, no. None of that junk. :001_smile:

You definitely want to notify, even for a partial year.

My college roommate was from Gnadenhutten, and she always called it Stupidville (they were high school rivals.) :D

My girls where calling it Stupidville. They thought that is what I said :lol:. When you say it out loud though it does almost sound like stupidville :lol:

Edited by MichelleC

No notarized forms.

No physicals.

No dental exams.

No shot records.

Just the forms Angela OH originally linked to.

:iagree:

Yes, OH is easy.

There's an OH state homeschool website? Really?

Well, maybe it isn't an official state hs website...but there is a website where they have premade forms for mailing in...

And :iagree: notify once you move - as the year they are now...promote them at home to the new hs materials, but keep them "grade level" for notification purposes. (My ds8 is a 2nd grader even though he works at levels all over the place in our daily work...I just have to privide "assurance" that I'm teaching him reading, writing, math, etc...)

You will never want to move back to PA again.:tongue_smilie: (so just come on a little further west...:auto:)

Is standardized testing yearly? or is it like 3rd, 5th & 8th grades (its something like that here)

It's yearly. I did the portfolio review assessment last year. Easy-peasy. That's what I'm going to do again this year. Only my oldest b/c I didn't have to report dd this year for kindy.

I am wondering if my girls will need an assessment. They both had PSSA standardized testing that they just finished last week. And my youngest wont be 6 until Aug 8th. I assume OH would want test results to confirm this. Then next year I would have to do the narrative & testing or evaluation? Man I thought PA laws where rough but trying to wrap your mind around new laws after leaving PA is almost as hard lol

I am wondering if my girls will need an assessment. They both had PSSA standardized testing that they just finished last week. And my youngest wont be 6 until Aug 8th. I assume OH would want test results to confirm this. Then next year I would have to do the narrative & testing or evaluation? Man I thought PA laws where rough but trying to wrap your mind around new laws after leaving PA is almost as hard lol

The laws are actually quite easy for Ohio. You just seem to have gotten confused somewhere along the line.

This is just my opinion, but I think it's on target. We'll see if anyone has anything to add to it or disagrees with me.

If you have the results of the standardized testing, I would *think* that it would meet the academic assessment requirements for your older daughter for the 2010-2011 school year.

As for your younger daughter, who is not yet 6, which is Ohio's compulsory attendance age, I wouldn't submit anything until the fall when you submit a Notice of Intent to Homeschool for her.

At the end of the 2011-2012 school year you would need to have ONE of the following done for both girls:

(1)
results of a nationally normed, standardized achievement test which meets the requirements set forth in rule 3301-12-02 of the administrative code.

(a) such test shall be administered by:

(i) a certified teacher; or

(ii) another person mutually agreed upon by the parent(s) and the superintendent; or

(iii) a person duly authorized by the publisher of the test.

(b) results should demonstrate reasonable proficiency as compared to other children in the district at the same grade level. Any child that has a composite score at or above the twenty-fifth percentile shall be deemed to be performing at a level of reasonable proficiency.

(2)
a written narrative indicating that a portfolio of samples of the child's work has been reviewed and that the child's academic progress for the year is in accordance with the child's abilities.

(a) The written narrative shall be prepared by:

(ii) other person mutually agreed upon by the parent(s) and the superintendent.

(b) the parent(s) shall be responsible for the payment of fees charged for preparation of the narrative.

(3)
an alternative academic assessment of the child's proficiency mutually agreed upon by the parent and the superintendent.

The laws are actually quite easy for Ohio. You just seem to have gotten confused somewhere along the line.

This is just my opinion, but I think it's on target. We'll see if anyone has anything to add to it or disagrees with me.

If you have the results of the standardized testing, I would *think* that it would meet the academic assessment requirements for your older daughter for the 2010-2011 school year.

As for your younger daughter, who is not yet 6, which is Ohio's compulsory attendance age, I wouldn't submit anything until the fall when you submit a Notice of Intent to Homeschool for her.

At the end of the 2011-2012 school year you would need to have ONE of the following done for both girls:

(1)
results of a nationally normed, standardized achievement test which meets the requirements set forth in rule 3301-12-02 of the administrative code.

(a) such test shall be administered by:

(ii) another person mutually agreed upon by the parent(s) and the superintendent; or

(iii) a person duly authorized by the publisher of the test.

(b) results should demonstrate reasonable proficiency as compared to other children in the district at the same grade level. Any child that has a composite score at or above the twenty-fifth percentile shall be deemed to be performing at a level of reasonable proficiency.

(2)
a written narrative indicating that a portfolio of samples of the child's work has been reviewed and that the child's academic progress for the year is in accordance with the child's abilities.

(a) The written narrative shall be prepared by:

(ii) other person mutually agreed upon by the parent(s) and the superintendent.

(b) the parent(s) shall be responsible for the payment of fees charged for preparation of the narrative.

(3)
an alternative academic assessment of the child's proficiency mutually agreed upon by the parent and the superintendent.

You got me pegged. I guess what I mean to say is that its hard to go from what I am used to to figuring out a new states rules (separating them in my mind kwim?) I have HS'ed in FL, PA and now Ohio. I just wish that all states where the same would be less confusing.

I just wish that all states where the same would be less confusing.

That would make life easier. It would be nice if all the states had the same rules as one of the states (like OH) with enough oversight that people don't get their panties in a bunch, but not so many rules, hoop jumping, and BS to drive a person insane.

You've got a lot going on right now. I would be confused too.