Menu

Question for SL users-managing the IG

Moxie

How do you manage the IG for SL? It is too big to leave on the table and I get tired of flipping between history, 2 sets of readers and the schedule. I've thought about getting a smaller binder or a clip-board. Just wondering how others handle it.

Hi Melissa,

I CAN NOT manage the big binder with a nursing baby! I break it out into a smaller working binder. I put EVERYTHING that *I* need behind the weekly tabs so it is all in one place! Schedules, readers schedule, notes for the history, notes for the read alouds, the whole shebang. No flipping back and forth then, just takes a few minutes to set up. I do around 10 weeks at a time.

Then I transfer it back to the big binder and grab another 10 weeks. HTH!

I do the same as Jennifer but with 6 weeks. It doesn't take long (maybe 10-15 mins) to transfer the weeks and notes to my 1" binder and it is so much easier to carry around.

I do have a separate tab for the reader schedule just because we're always ahead in that area.

I would always rearrange my IG's as soon as I got them to put the book guides immediately behind the first week that they were used. When we finished a week, I'd put the schedule and any book guides we finished back into my big binder, and then I'd put any book guides we were still using behind the next week and add another week to my personal binder. I kept only three weeks in my personal binder. Because we used a mixture of owned, borrowed, and library books, I always looked ahead when I added a new week so that I could make sure I had the books lined up.

I have pulled out the notes for the books we have that week as well as the IG sheet for that week.

The readers are in another small notebook for the year so it can be moved around the house for both kids to look and go read each day.

So right now I have notes out for Landmark and Story of the USA, another book we are reading and the read aloud book. When we finish something or start something I add it to the pile of papers with books for that week. Works for us.

I'm another one who uses a working binder. I generally keep 4-6 weeks in it at a time. I also make up one schedule page for everything my kids do (using the table format in MS Word), so that I don't have to flip between schedule pages.

Merry :-)

This is what I have been thinking we will do for next year. We are going to be using SL for the first time 1+2 core and I am so intimidated by the IG that they are still sitting in the box, unorganized in my spare room.

I don't suppose you could post a pic of your schedule page you made up. So that I can get an idea.