Menu

What age for The Hobbit as a read aloud?

I'm trying to decide if 6yo and 7yo will enjoy this along with their older sisters. I have read it, but it's been years and years; I just can't remember enough.

The two of them have enjoyed The Little House on the Prairie series through By The Shores of Silver Lake, Charlotte's Web, Pinocchio, etc.

I wouldn't force them to listen - if they come and seem to be enjoying sitting in with your older sisters, great. If not, no worries. It's not exactly a little kids' book, y'know?

eta: the language in The Hobbit is a lot more advanced than the language in the Little House books or Charlotte's Web, for sure.

I wouldn't force them to listen - if they come and seem to be enjoying sitting in with your older sisters, great. If not, no worries. It's not exactly a little kids' book, y'know?

eta: the language in The Hobbit is a lot more advanced than the language in the Little House books or Charlotte's Web, for sure.

:iagree:

LOL. Well I would never "force them to listen" if they weren't getting it. But, I won't choose it as a read aloud if it would be too far over their heads because I'm choosing a read aloud mainly for them. The older girls are already listening to me read Gone With the Wind.

So I guess I should have been clearer. I need a read aloud for the 6 and 7yo. The older girls like to listen in. Will the 6yo and 7yo understand The Hobbit? What is the youngest age at which your child would have enjoyed it?

I read it aloud to my older kids at ages 7, 5, and 3. As a read-aloud, it was great! Of course, DS3 didn't care what we read particularily, as long as we were reading.....

ETA.... they also enjoyed at that age: the first Harry Potter book, King of the Wind (a HUGE hit), Misty (the horse one), So You Want to be a Wizard, the Narnia books (except for the last one), Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, and Treasure Island.

Edited by AK_Mom4

My kids are 7, 5, and 2. This year, we've read aloud the Hobbit, books 1-5 of the Narinia series, Misty of Chicoteague, and Kipling's Just So Stories. We read a chapter or two at night after dinner and the older two have really enjoyed these books.

So I guess I should have been clearer. I need a read aloud for the 6 and 7yo. The older girls like to listen in. Will the 6yo and 7yo understand The Hobbit? What is the youngest age at which your child would have enjoyed it?

I did actually try it as a read aloud with dd14 when she was 10 and she didn't really follow any of it...so it's not something I would select if the specific audience is the 6 & 7 year olds. I thought you meant that they'd be tagging along listening as you read to their sisters - but I had it backwards. :laugh:

Thank you, everyone. I was wanting to make sure I wasn't crazy, and now enough of you have said it worked out for you, so probably I'm not crazy.:tongue_smilie:

I think I will give it a shot. If it doesn't work out, we'll set it aside. 7yo is almost 8yo, and 6yo has enjoyed every read aloud we've tried with her. She seems to have a high comprehension level (actually higher than the almost 8yo.)

My 5 year old just finished it with DH, and he loved it. I read it to my then 8 and 6 year olds a year or so ago; the 6 year old was into it, but the 8 year old grumbled through it....and then read it on his own and loved it this year at 9. Shrug. I guess it depends on the kid. Oh...and the same kid who complained about the Hobbit last year is now listening to and LOVING LOTR. My kids are nothing if not unpredictable.