Menu

Help. Book choices for boys... advice, Please.

I am really burned out. I just wanted to get that off my chest.

So, I am sick and tired of trying to figure out books to read to my boys, and for them to read themselves. Someone just tell me READ THIS.;)

My boys do not like....

Fantasy. Anything with swords, dragons, magic or greek gods.

They loved The Mysterious Benedict Society, Island of Blue Dolphins and generally, most Newberry winners.

I need some literature for me to read to them, and something ANYTHING for them to read to themselves. They only read Calvin & Hobbes and lego magazines independently.

I just can't look at another flipping book list. My brain will explode. I did get them a Heinlein book, see if they will go for it.

I wish I could find that one book that makes them run off to their room and read all day, under the covers with a flashlight, that sort of thing. I fear my children might never be like that. :confused:

:cursing::banghead::ack2::001_unsure:

Oh, and did I mention I'm burned out? :smilielol5:

Your boys are older than mine, so please take my advice with a grain of salt.

I don't read to my older boys. {gasp} Just imagining myself having to do all of the reading makes me feel burnt out! :lol:

I think the biggest thing I did that caused my boys to love to read is to institute a mandatory reading time every day. The 10 and 8 year old have to read silently for 60 minutes Monday through Friday. (This started in 1st grade for 15 min, 2nd grade for 30 min. and so on.)

There are weeks that I pick the books and weeks I give them free pick (but I have veto power). I would strongly, strongly urge you to institute this. I think once they get bitten by the bug, they just get it. My boys read and read and read all the time even when it's not mandatory reading time. But, they still have mandatory reading time. :D

Books the two are reading or recently read and have really enjoyed that don't involve dragons {grin}:

The Name of this Book Is Secret by Pseudonymous Bosch (series)

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Solve-it-yourself mysteries by Hy Conrad

The Boys Start the War by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor (series)

From Charlie's Point of View by Richard Schrimger

HTH!

Peter and the Starcatchers

The City of Ember series

Narnia

Little House

39 Clues

A Series of Unfortunate Events

The Rangers Apprentice series

Anything by E.B White or Rolad Dahl.

ETA: I know many of these are fantasy and include Greek gods and dragons - but, come on! Greek gods and dragons are awesome.

Edited by Stacy in NJ

My son also does not generally like fantasy, but loves the Percy Jackson series and the new one by that author. I see your boys liked "Mysterious Benedict Society" - my son loves that. He also liked "Hatchet", as someone else mentioned.

• Series of Unfortunate Events (maybe for 10yo)
  • The Invention of Hugo Cabret (cool book, much of it is just drawings)
  • books by Tim Green (Football Hero, etc.) - he played for the Falcons, but has a degree in English so I'm guessing he's a decent writer (I haven't read the books)
  • Call of the Wild - good read-aloud or for 12yo
  • Rascal - I think this would be a good read-aloud
  • Phantom Tollbooth
  • The Westing Game - my son read this on his own and I haven't read it, but it seems like it would be a good read-aloud. Kind of a mystery whodunnit, I think.
  • The Incredible Journey

You can see I'm kind of into animal books! I also think that audiobooks are GREAT! I often find that the kids will more willingly listen to an audiobook than they would read it (especially if I say "this is what you're listening to tonight, you can pick next week!"). Of course they can also listen to books on a higer reading level.

Audiobook suggestions:

• Treasure Island
  • Roald Dahl Books
  • Tim Green Books
  • Series of Unfortunate Events
  • By the Great Horn Spoon

I would second these:

Peter and the Starcatchers

The City of Ember series

Narnia

Anything they haven't already read by Ronald Dahl

and the obvious, Harry Potter, Eragon, Percy Jackson

Others include:

The Sea of Trolls, The Land of Silver Apples and The Island of the Blessed (Nancy Farmer)

The Dragon Rider and others by Cornelia Funke (some of hers may be too dark and violent for your younger)

The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy if they are ready for it

Have they read Sherlock Holmes?

What about some P. G. Wodehouse?

There is the Jeeves and Wooster stories, such as Carry on Jeeves

There is also the Pothunters series (the cover of the book has nothing to do with the story. I think this one maybe be free somewhere)

James Herriot series, starting with All Creatures Great and Small

Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons series

Flavia de Luce Mysteries, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (This does have murder and dead bodies, but it a tasteful way. I think my 10 you son admires 11 yo Flavia.)

Any of the Agatha Christie stories.

The Thirty-Nine Steps

The Prisoner of Zenda

Kidnapped

My Family and Other Animals

The Secret Garden

Little Lord Fauntleroy

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Historical Novels

My ds 10, has read most of these books, and enjoyed all of them. Hope you can find something to entertain your two.