Menu

Do you study history along with your dc?

kls126s

I say this as someone that really enjoys history, so keep that in mind, but I'm wondering if any of you study history (or any subject that interests you - science, literature, etc) at an adult level along with your dc? We're doing Ancients this year with SOTW 1 and I've been looking at books for me to read alongside what we're studying so I'm learning deeper right along with them.

Any of you do this? Has anyone read SWBs History of the Ancient World? Can you recommend other books in ancient history?

One of the reasons (part of a long list) that I'm looking forward to years of homeschooling is the chance to go back and finish MY education and fill it out and feel truly educated. I'm a product of public schools and although I did very well and consider myself reasonably intelligent, I don't know that I would consider myself broadly well educated.

I'm also wondering if I'll have time to do a lot of reading around actually teaching and running a home and being a pastor's wife... any thoughts on that?

That was my intent this year, but I've found there is so much I don't remember or never learned about ancient history that I'm learning so much from my son's books (1st grade) and haven't yet gotten out of the children's section of the library. I'm finally starting to feel like I have a fair grasp of ancient history and I think definitely the next time we rotate through ancient history I can study it myself at a higher level. Right now though, I'm just soaking up what I can along with my kids.

I also haven't found as much time as I would like to do my own reading when I still do so much reading with them. But like you say, I have many years to really complete my own education along with them. ;)

That was my intent this year, but I've found there is so much I don't remember or never learned about ancient history that I'm learning so much from my son's books (1st grade) and haven't yet gotten out of the children's section of the library. I'm finally starting to feel like I have a fair grasp of ancient history and I think definitely the next time we rotate through ancient history I can study it myself at a higher level. Right now though, I'm just soaking up what I can along with my kids.

I also haven't found as much time as I would like to do my own reading when I still do so much reading with them. But like you say, I have many years to really complete my own education along with them. ;)

Having the high school jr. varsity basketball coach for a world history teacher didn't do much for me! LOL! I'd say that I'm learning so much from the kids' books for now but would also like to dig deeper when we hit it next time. That's my plan for now anyways!

I say this as someone that really enjoys history, so keep that in mind, but I'm wondering if any of you study history (or any subject that interests you - science, literature, etc) at an adult level along with your dc? We're doing Ancients this year with SOTW 1 and I've been looking at books for me to read alongside what we're studying so I'm learning deeper right along with them.

Any of you do this? Has anyone read SWBs History of the Ancient World? Can you recommend other books in ancient history?

One of the reasons (part of a long list) that I'm looking forward to years of homeschooling is the chance to go back and finish MY education and fill it out and feel truly educated. I'm a product of public schools and although I did very well and consider myself reasonably intelligent, I don't know that I would consider myself broadly well educated.

I'm also wondering if I'll have time to do a lot of reading around actually teaching and running a home and being a pastor's wife... any thoughts on that?

This is what I am doing. I've recently read the two Albert Marrin books that I am assigning for history. These are not adult-level, but I do read adult-level books as well.

Here is the link to a post about my hs conference where SWB spoke:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=210894#poststop

It is directly related to what you are asking.

as I believe that I need to model what I am asking my dd to do. For American History, I read Paul Johnson's history for myself, Joy Hakim's chapters that are assigned to dd each week, and read my TruthQuest commentary.

Over the summer, I try to preview the history and science plans as a whole and read everything over, making notes to myself. For some reason, this really makes me WANT to study history and science.

I simply must be a student myself in order to be a good teacher.

: )

Tami

You said this so well!! I consider myself a "lifetime learner" and I know what you mean about feeling gaps in your education thanks to ps.

I'd love to read SWB's "grown up" ancient history book, but I'll probably just be picking up what I can from learning with Rebecca. I actually never liked history very much, but now I'm seeing that maybe I just never had the opportunity to learn it in an interesting way.

Thanks for the link to another thread, Lisa.

"I can educate myself, and this is part of my calling as a homeschool parent."

That's a perfectly succinct way of putting what I was feeling.

It does help to think that I have several cycles to go through this because I just want to read it all! I'm trying to have my whole year planned out pretty thoroughly so I'm not having to do that as we go and can honestly just study alongside them. I've been looking at MIT OpenCourseWare and things like that. I'll look into the Teaching Company lectures that Beth mentioned too.

I end up going down my own rabbit trails. When we did ancient history I got hung up on the Greeks long after we had passed them in SOTW. I love the Teaching Company too.

I am looking forward to reading the Federalist Papers, among others, for the first time next year. We are doing an in-depth year of American History. I really feel like my own education has been sadly lacking and I love catching up along with my oldest.

Yes, I like to read history-related books (for me) when I can manage to fit them in. Not a lot of books are popping into mind for ancients except for SWB's book about the ancients (which I still need to read) & Thomas Cahill's books.

And, I'm not always necessarily reading 'textbooks' for adults either. I typically enjoy historical fiction & try to find a book or two that goes along w/ the period we're studying in history. It helps keep me in the 'mood' of the time, I guess. LOL. We're actually studying modern times now & I just finished a great book that I stumbled across when I was doing a library search for books for my dc. The book I read is "Into Africa: The Epic Adventures of Stanley & Livingstone" by Martin Dugard. Fantastic & fascinating book. Another great 'modern' one is "Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress" -- though it is fiction, I think it gives an amazing peek at live inside a remote village during Mao's 'reeducation' in China.

I also enjoyed "1776" when we were working on colonial America.

So, I guess this is my long-winded way of saying that I've enjoyed learning about various topics & rounding out my reading w/ both non-fiction & fiction writing that ties into the topics we are studying.

Guest Shanna
Yes, I download lectures on sale from The Teaching Company for the period of time we are studying during the year. I listen to the lectures during my walking time. The lectures are usually 30-minutes long, and I try to listen to at least 2-hours a week.

What a great idea!!!