Menu

My ds doesn't have a specific language or reading diagnosis, but he is struggling and hates to read. Do you think this could benefit me?

I think it could be helpful.

If you want recommendations for other resources, let me know and I'll post things that have been helpful for me.

For anyone who is not reading the other thread, LizzieBee mentioned the online O/G course available through EPS for $49. I don't know anything about it other than this description. :D

A 10-hour class breaks down into one hour per day (M-F) for two weeks. If several of us wanted to do it together, we could use these forums for discussion. Anyone game? I am thinking if there is enough interest we can start discussing the first session Monday, March 28 and wrap up on April 8. Goodness knows I spend enough time on the computer -- I ought to do something productive!

(btw, i've had to put Leechblock on my computer to limit my time at WTM, so I'll have to check back for responses this evening. ;))

The idea interests me and the course outline looks good, but now is not a good time for me.

For one thing, I'm trying to limit my computer time during Lent, and if I spent an hour on an on-line class, I wouldn't have time to discuss it over here on this board. Writing and discussing things on this board is one of the ways that I process the information that I learn, and I just know that it would take me hours to process in writing a one hour class along all the discussion you ladies bring.

Plus, I just bought several teacher training books that address language processing problems. I was seriously considering the idea of (gasp!) creating my own lesson plans for writing and grammar based on the idea in those Landmark School books that I bought.

But, I really like your idea, Shari. Is this something that we could spread out over a longer period of time? Or could you ladies take the course and let me just read everything you write about it? :tongue_smilie:

ANYTHING would be wonderful!!! He's going to be doing cyber school next year so I should be able to work on a lot more (including letting both kids have time to be kids!).

Here are the things that have been most helpful for me:

Yahoo group: Heart of Reading

Books:

The Mislabeled Child

The Secret Life of the Dyslexic Child

The Everything Parents Guide to Children with Dyslexia

Right Brained Children in a Left Brained World

Upside Down Brilliance

Curriculum and supplements:

Lindamood Bell Phonemic Sequencing (to develop phonemic awareness)

Barton Reading and Spelling (Orton-Gillingham based and scripted)

http://www.moosematerials.com (games to supplement an OG curriculum)

A slantboard (to make writing easier)

Chewing gum (to improve focus)

A sensory pillow (to improve focus)

Exercise bands (wrap around the legs of a chair so when your wiggly kid swings her legs, she hits the bands and gets sensory feedback, improves focus)

Right Start Math (lots of games and manipulatives plus solid math teaching)

Singapore Math

Muggins Math games - expensive but high quality and fun

Veritas Press History (short, sweet, and to the point, plus the cards make it visual; Christian-based)

Mazes and puzzles, I Spy books, to improve visual discrimination

Books on CD and ipod

Edited by LizzyBee

I would do this (EPS O-G study online)but in late spring, early summer.

Merrygardens..I am intrigued about the book Thinking Language . How are you liking it?..my dtr needs help with her oral expression and I gave a copy of the table of contents to her speech pathologist. Is this book set-up in a lesson plan format..or just a sytsematic order of things to address? Any input would be great. Either way it is a bargain for $25 as long as I can devise lesson plans around it. I found Recipe for Reading a bargain for $25 and I am having no problem creating my own O-G based program. It supplements so nicely with Apples and Pears A and The I See Sam Readers.

I'd like to do this! I have a couple questions, though. Do you need to purchase the OG manual? Would it be beneficial even though I've watched through level 5 of the Barton DVD's?

No, you don't have to buy the manual. All of the materials for the introductory course are posted online.

I would do this (EPS O-G study online)but in late spring, early summer.

Merrygardens..I am intrigued about the book Thinking Language . How are you liking it?..my dtr needs help with her oral expression and I gave a copy of the table of contents to her speech pathologist. Is this book set-up in a lesson plan format..or just a sytsematic order of things to address? Any input would be great. Either way it is a bargain for $25 as long as I can devise lesson plans around it. I found Recipe for Reading a bargain for $25 and I am having no problem creating my own O-G based program. It supplements so nicely with Apples and Pears A and The I See Sam Readers.

I started a new thread about that book and another Landmark School book that Lizzy asked me about.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257047

I'd love to pick your brains to help me design lesson plans to implement all these great ideas. :D

I am fine with taking more time. Are two lessons per week more reasonable? That would be five weeks, and we'd be finished around the end of April. From the FAQ, it looks like you can stop and start the lessons as needed.

I will try to keep up with that schedule. If I fall behind, I'll catch up after 4/15. Actually 4/18. Tax season goes to the 18th this year because 4/15 is Emancipation Day in DC. :tongue_smilie:

I've started already and will post my initial thoughts on Monday. I've done the Intro, and lessons 1 & 2. None of the sections took me more than 30-45 minutes, though I did bookmark quite a bit from one of the sites to investigate more later. I think two lessons per week will be very do-able.

ETA: For discussion, I'll post on Monday 3/28 for the Intro, Lesson 1 & 2. Monday 4/4 for Lesson 3 & 4, etc.

I'll try to review those lessons tomorrow. Thanks for getting this started. :001_smile:

I've started already and will post my initial thoughts on Monday. I've done the Intro, and lessons 1 & 2. None of the sections took me more than 30-45 minutes, though I did bookmark quite a bit from one of the sites to investigate more later. I think two lessons per week will be very do-able.

ETA: For discussion, I'll post on Monday 3/28 for the Intro, Lesson 1 & 2. Monday 4/4 for Lesson 3 & 4, etc.

Thanks for organizing this. Before I pay my $49 and sign up, can you please tell me if (so far) you think it's worth your time and money.

I know, I'm just being cheap because I spent a lot of money on other materials recently. But I thought I'd ask anyway.:tongue_smilie:I was "this close" to clicking the pay button, but I then I thought to ask Shari and Lizzy (and anyone else who cares to share) what they think so far of the class.

BTW, for those interested who can't meet the schedule, it looks like we have six months of access to this online class from the time we pay.

Thanks for organizing this. Before I pay my $49 and sign up, can you please tell me if (so far) you think it's worth your time and money.

I know, I'm just being cheap because I spent a lot of money on other materials recently. But I thought I'd ask anyway.:tongue_smilie:I was "this close" to clicking the pay button, but I then I thought to ask Shari and Lizzy (and anyone else who cares to share) what they think so far of the class.

BTW, for those interested who can't meet the schedule, it looks like we have six months of access to this online class from the time we pay.

I think it's worth $49 for me, but it's so hard to say whether it will be worth $49 for someone else. I've only done the first four lessons so far. I really enjoyed the lesson on reading and the brain. The information is similar to what I've read elsewhere, but more in depth. It's helped me understand where the process is interrupted for various types of errors that my dd makes, and why remediation needs to occur in a certain order.

I would like to be a certified Barton provider, but all of the training classes are in CA and I live in NC. So I may pursue OG certification instead, and the introductory course is the first step in that process.

Edited by LizzyBee

For discussion, I'll post on Monday 3/28 for the Intro, Lesson 1 & 2. Monday 4/4 for Lesson 3 & 4, etc.

I'm staying up with the 2 lessons per week plan so far and will continue to try. I just finished lesson 3 on the brain which was incredible! I've read information similar to this before from various source over the last couple of years, but this course pulls it all that information together very well.

I'm staying up with the 2 lessons per week plan so far and will continue to try. I just finished lesson 3 on the brain which was incredible! I've read information similar to this before from various source over the last couple of years, but this course pulls it all that information together very well.

That's my favorite lesson so far.

This course sounds like it has a ton of great material! So, after 6 months you don't have access to the info? Can you download the info or print it out? Sounds like stuff I'd like to keep.

Yes, you can print or save it. I've been copying and pasting each lesson into a word document.