Menu

A well stocked cooking cupboard?

Is there a list of the "standard" wine/alcohol selections needed for most cooking/baking? I'm getting tired of running to the liquor store for 1 item! I would like to purchase a few of the most widely used items to have on hand for cooking/baking. I often avoid recipes because I don't want to make the trip to town. So...what do you think is a necessity?

I only keep cooking sherry (for certain soup & casserole dishes), cheap red wine (for spaghetti sauce & beef stew), and peppermint schnapps (for pepperminty frostings).

If a recipe needs something I don't have - I just skip the recipe for the reason you mentioned; I don't want to run out for a bottle of something that I only need a TB of. I have an almost-full bottle of brandy in my pantry for that very reason. :(

I don't use much wine in cooking, mostly just marsala and sometimes another dry white wine, but because I bake so extensively, I have rather a wide array of alcohol for that purpose. :001_huh:

The ones I use the most often are:

Kahlua (goes with coffee or chocolate)

Brandy (goes with lots of creamy/buttery/fruity things)

Frangelico (hazelnut, and my own personal fave :D)

I send my dh down to the "sleazy market", which is actually the dirty hole in the wall liquor store, and have him buy me the tiny bottles (like you'd see in a hotel mini-bar) of the liquors that I use less often. They're quite expensive per ounce, but if you're only needing a tiny bit to keep on hand for occasional use, they're very convenient.