Menu

Any thoughts on winterpromise American Story 1

We used it this year and are using AS II next year. I used it with a 2nd grader and middle schooler. My older daughter used the corresponding readings in The History of US, with Sonlight's discussion guide, and a lot of other supplemental materials. She didn't do any of the crafts. My 2nd grader did nearly every single craft option, though, because she likes crafts. The crafts are mostly learning crafts, rather than mere busy work. The 3-D maps, for instance, really helped cement the concepts.

We enjoyed the read-alouds and felt that the pace was about right. The one thing I would do differently is to not use their notebooking timeline--the thing gets quite unwieldly by the time you get the timeline and notebooking pages in there. I would use, instead, a wall timeline and a notebook with the notebooking pages in it. We did watch a number of the recommended DVDs, and they were great for my older daughter--not such a big hit with my 8 yo, but that's just the way she is. Other 8 yos might very well love them.

It has been a good combination of hands-on and read-alouds for us. We have all learned a lot.

Terri

We just finished AS 1 and will do AS 2 next year. My oldest dd (7th grade) did the middler program, and I added in A History of US (WP provides a reading schedule for them). We didn't do many of the crafts, but my dc really liked the books. I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have about it.