Menu

Sinus infections ...

:grouphug: We went thru many, many sinus infections in J this past summer. If his allergist saw him during one, he would adminster an IM injection of steriods since J's lungs were *not* happy with what was going on in the sinus region.

I can't remember which antibiotics we used, but we used a lot unfortunatly. Finally J had his tonsils out in late August and then we found out he had Gastroparesis...he hasn't had a single sinus infection since.

Hope you feel better soon!

Prevention- use a neti pot or similar on a reg. basis, but don't use it if you currently have or feel like you have an infection coming on. If there is already an infection, using the neti pot will spread it and make it worse. Look into something like nasonex (Rx required), Zyrtec or Claritin to help keep allergies from becoming a major problem. Lots of vitamin c and zinc-daily can also help. Good luck, it stinks not to be able to use the antibiotics when you need them. Ds can't take penicillin for sinus infections- he's resistant. Ugh!

Prevention- use a neti pot or similar on a reg. basis, but don't use it if you currently have or feel like you have an infection coming on. If there is already an infection, using the neti pot will spread it and make it worse. Look into something like nasonex (Rx required), Zyrtec or Claritin to help keep allergies from becoming a major problem. Lots of vitamin c and zinc-daily can also help. Good luck, it stinks not to be able to use the antibiotics when you need them. Ds can't take penicillin for sinus infections- he's resistant. Ugh!

My dh swears by the squeeze bottle version of the neti pot for prevention.

I know it sounds weird, but when I was really prone to sinus and ear infections about a decade ago having an adjustment done by a chiropractor helped.

Is there a way to fight these without antibiotics? My doctor has tried me on three different antibiotics (all of which caused some severe side effects). I am tired of trying to find one that doesn't cause other problems.

Around here, the doctors prefer you try the nasal washes first before prescribing antibiotics. My dd, who is prone to sinus infections, has had great success with the rinses and hasn't had to take antibiotics since starting them.

My dh, a family practice doctor, says he's had many chronic sinusitis (treated with antibiotics for years) patients who have been sinusitis and antibiotic free once they started the rinses.

Definitely commit to some sort of saline spray or sinus wash (neti pot or whatever). If you don't like the neti pot, get an over the counter nasal saline mist and use it every two hours. (Squirt in each nostril, blow your nose. Repeat. Do it all again two hours later.)

I have also found a short course of nasal steroids will deal more effectively with the infection than antibiotics (Nasacort or Nasonex, et al). Since your infection has hung on this long, you might really need to consider this option.

For 10 years, I came down with bronchitis on a regular basis--until I discovered that it all started with a sinus infection, which I was more vulnerable to because of allergies I was unaware of. For a long time, I insisted that I didn't have allergies, because I did not have any symptoms. But my doctor insisted that I get tested, and sure enough, I was allergic to dust mites.

So now I have my pillows and and mattresses in special dust mite resistant cases, and I bleach my sheets. I also take a daily anti-histamine Zyrtec every day. I rarely get sinus infections any more. When I do get them, I agree with the PP that suggested steroid nasal-spray. It reduces the inflamation, which allows the fluids to drain more easily.

It is also very important to drink lots of fluids so that your mucous is not so think and can drain more easily. You actually should avoid using a decongestant (like Mucinex), because it makes your mucous thicker, and it is more difficult for it to drain. So I only use it when I absolutely have to or when my mucous is already very fluid.

My doctor has also suggested using Neil Med Sinus Rinse daily (both during a sinus infection and for prevention), which I am sure is a great idea, but I just can't put 8 oz. of fluid up my nose.

Years ago, when I was still nursing, I had a series of sinus infections over the course of six months (which ended up being the same sinus infection that kept returning). I was very fortunate to have a doctor that supported my choice to nurse my baby. Rather than suggest that I stop nursing so that I could could take stronger anti-biotics, he prescribed a 1-month course of Amoxicillan, which did the trick. If you are having trouble with the side effects of the stronger anti-biotics, perhaps this is an option for you since Amoxicillan tends to have fewer side effects.

I like this website for information because it explains some of the 'why' behind treatments and explains sinus infections/sinusitis beyond just a few sentences.

I figured out years ago that anithistamines were the number one thing that caused my sinus infections. I can use them for 2 days, but then have to stop for a few days. That seemed counter intuitive and I had even had doctors recommend taking them to decrease the mucus. This website explains the why of it, and now it makes sense...

From the site:

Can I use antihistamines to treat sinusitis?

Under some circumstances, antihistamines are used, if allergies play an especially prominent part in the symptoms. Because of the fact that antihistamines tend to be drying, we usually try to avoid them in treatment of sinusitis. The mucus in the sinuses may then get dried out and is plastered up against the wall of the sinuses. The bacteria love it because they are trapped inside the sinuses with nowhere to go. They reproduce like crazy and since the mucus is dried out, a blockage in the small drainage canal can occur and so mucus remains inside the sinuses. Unfortunately people feel better initially because the volume of fluid in the sinuses initially is reduced, but eventually symptoms return.