Menu

"Super Moon" Saturday 3/19

I just wanted to share this. :) I stumbled across this when I went to check my email. The moon is going to be the closest to the Earth that it's been in 18 years so tonight's full moon is going to be a "Super Moon" appearing 30% larger than normal full moons. :001_smile: The best time to view it is just after the sun goes down when the moon is rising on the horizon just before 7pm. :) We're going to go to the beach and watch it rise out of the water. :) Enjoy. :)

Sounds beautiful!

I'd do the same but the beach is on the wrong side. I'm not willing to drag the kids out of bed to see it sink to the water. Should be a wonderful sight, it is glowing yellow here at the moment!

Edited by Rosie_0801

Sounds beautiful!

It should be. I saw last month's full moon rising at the beach as well and it was so big and pretty that everybody was stopping to look at it. :) This one should really be something. I wish my camera didn't suck. I'd take pictures to share. :)

I'd do the same but the beach is on the wrong side. I'm not willing to drag the kids out of bed to see it sink to the water. Should be a wonderful sight, it is glowing yellow here at the moment!

LOL Yeah they kids wouldn't like that I'll wager. And neither would you like having to get them back to bed after. ;) :D

Edited by Ibbygirl

I absolutely love, love, love any kind of full moon and this is happening on my birthday. :)

No way!! Happy Birthday Negin! :):party: What an awesome present to receive. :) :hurray: Well, I guess we know now why the moon wanted to be so close to Earth, it didn't want to miss your special day! :) Enjoy it. :) :grouphug:

Oh how lovely and romantic. Please update us and let us know if it was ginormous or not. :) Enjoy your walk. :)

Well, moonrise is always beautiful of course, but it didnt really look any different to us! Tomorrow night might be different- tonight is just before the full moon so the sun hadn't quite set yet. Tomorrow should be after sunset so will look clearer.

Having said that, now that the moon is higher in the sky and it is dark...it looks like you could just reach out and touch it. It is very clear. It doesn't seem any bigger to me, but it does somehow seem closer and clearer and very bright.

We saw the full moon last month as it was coming up over the horizon. The brightness and notably larger size were remarkle! It looked like it was photo shopped.

My youngest son was spending the night with his grandpapa. I thought it was sweet that my dad called to tell us about the moon and his was currently watching it with my son. I could hear his excitement in the background. My youngest has curly red hair (where did that come from) and is quite advanced, clever, and ornery! It was brave of my father to take that particular son out at night with a ravine in back and such a full moon!

The moon really is spectacular, especially if you catch it when it is near the horizon. I missed the full effect last night because by the time Dad called it was already up in the sky. I'm setting a reminder alarm on my phone to try and catch the moon rise tonight.

Edited by Kerrie in VA

I was thinking last night that the moon was so bright I could have been trimming the plants I forgot about! My yard was totally lit up at 9 pm!

I love it when it's like that. When I see it at the beach, it reflects off the water so brightly it lights up everything. :)

Well, moonrise is always beautiful of course, but it didnt really look any different to us! Tomorrow night might be different- tonight is just before the full moon so the sun hadn't quite set yet. Tomorrow should be after sunset so will look clearer.

Having said that, now that the moon is higher in the sky and it is dark...it looks like you could just reach out and touch it. It is very clear. It doesn't seem any bigger to me, but it does somehow seem closer and clearer and very bright.

Sounds beautiful. Are you going to go out to the river again today?

We saw the full moon last month as it was coming up over the horizon. The brightness and notably larger size were remarkle! It looked like it was photo shopped.

My youngest son was spending the night with his grandpapa. I thought it was sweet that my dad called to tell us about the moon and his was currently watching it with my son. I could hear his excitement in the background. My youngest has curly red hair (where did that come from) and is quite advanced, clever, and ornery! It was brave of my father to take that particular son out at night with a ravine in back and such a full moon!

The moon really is spectacular, especially if you catch it when it is near the horizon. I missed the full effect last night because by the time Dad called it was already up in the sky. I'm setting a reminder alarm on my phone to try and catch the moon rise tonight.

Awww what a great story! I've always loved looking at the moon and stars too. The director of our local planetarium used to have this short segment on PBS called Stargazer that would play in between the scheduled programing. He would always come out and tell us what events were going to be happening, what to look for and what time to go out to see it. I always loved how excited he would get when he would describe the events and it would infect you so that you would get all excited and have to go out and see it too. :) I grew up watching him, but sadly he died last August and they don't have Stargazer anymore. :( He really made looking at the skies and adventure though. He always ended his segment by saying, "Keep looking up." He was wonderful! :)

Okay, we went to the beach at sunset to watch the moon rise out of the water. It was beautiful! It came out of the water all red and huge and it kept getting brighter and brighter as it rose higher in the sky. I brought my camera and tried to get some pictures to share with you all. I hope you'll forgive the quality. My camera is not very good and it doesn't have any nice lenses or anything that lets me get good closeup shots so the moon looks far away. They got blurrier as I had to switch to the nighttime setting, but you'll get the idea anyway. The sunset pics came out pretty though. The last two shots in the slide show are how the moon looked when we got back to our house after the beach. It was really bright. :) Enjoy. http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n106/FloridaNat1ve/Superluna/?albumview=slideshow

Your pictures are great, Ibbygirl! I love how you captured the progression!

We were at the beach, too---the moonrise was gorgeous in person, and hard to do it justice in photos.

I was pleasantly surprised to see so many locals turn out for the rise of the "super moon."

My kids and I enjoyed it. :001_smile:

Edited by Imprimis

Your pictures are great, Ibbygirl! I love how you captured the progression!

We were at the beach, too---the moonrise was gorgeous in person, and hard to do it justice in photos.

I was pleasantly surprised to see so many locals turn out for the rise of the "super moon."

My kids and I enjoyed it.

Thank you. Are you in Florida too?? :) I saw a lot locals as well. They all were out to see the moon. Some of them had some really great cameras with long lenses attached. I wish I could have used their pictures instead of mine. :) My dd was down playing in the surf and some Canadian tourists came up to her asking her to take their picture with the moon on their IPhone. hehe It was beautiful to see it coming out of the water so big and red. I really wish I could have shown it to you all how I saw it. My pictures are so poor a substitute.

Lovely photos, Ibbygirl!

Thank you. :) I'm glad you enjoyed them. I only wish they were better. It truly was a beautiful moon.

Ibbygirl, absolutely gorgeous pictures. :D

We loved watching it early last night.

Thank you all for the very sweet birthday wishes.

Thank you. :) That's great you got to see it too. :) I hope you had a wonderful birthday. :) :grouphug:

This full moon is very special to Gaudiya Vaisnavas. It is called Gaura Purnima, which means 'Golden Full Moon' because it is the appearance day of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, who had a golden complexion and was born at the moonrise. He shared the glories of love of God through congregational singing and devotional service.