Menu

Age Appropriate Letter Reversals

Guest vhosack

Guest vhosack

HI!

I have a first grader who is failing his spelling tests in public school because of his b/d letter reversals. As a first grade teacher myself,

I do not count off for any reversals, but show the correct spelling. I know

this is common for children his age.

I want to challenge this grading policy, but can't come up with official

research on this subject. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks for your help.

I marked a word wrong on a Spelling test on Friday for a letter reversal. Was I wrong? I just figured the child was 8 1/2 and I've given a dozen examples of ways to know a d from a b. For the record, I felt bad doing it.

I don't think it should be marked wrong in First Grade though. I would talk to the teacher about it.

If I remember correctly, Wanda Sanseri says to mark an answer wrong in SWR as well, if a dot is missing from an -i- or a -t- is missing it's line, or a letter reversal. :glare: I threw THAT one out immediately! What a crock! My oldest dd grew out of it when she became fluent in cursive which was about age 6. When all of my dds use cursive, they do not reverse letters. It seems to happen only using print, and unless there's an LD, usually corrects itself by 3rd-4th grade.

I think it's unfortunate that b/d reversals are given the emotional status of "test" and "grade." :glare: Honestly, I think 1st grade is the time to address this, but getting a 6/7yo worked up over a spelling test is counter-productive.

I've got an 8yo who still struggles with reversals. The *only* thing that works for him is for me to stand over him while he's writing and give him handwriting cues when I see his pencil moving in the wrong direction. (Writing in cursive helps GREATLY btw!)

Some kids *know* the tricks for remembering b/d, but they don't work b/c there is a visual processing problem...and they don't know if they are really looking at a b or thier eye is just seeing a b...and writing them, well...it's a 50/50 chance.:tongue_smilie:

Whatever the underlying problem (which could simply be immaturity), I cannot see how these spelling tests will help fix the problem.:confused: (unless the teacher's purpose was to put pressure on the parents via stressing out the kids:glare:) One teacher cannot stand over the shoulder of every child, after all.

Some kids *know* the tricks for remembering b/d, but they don't work b/c there is a visual processing problem...and they don't know if they are really looking at a b or thier eye is just seeing a b...and writing them, well...it's a 50/50 chance.:tongue_smilie:

Would there be any other indicators of a visual disorder besides b/d reversals?

There are some references here on letter reversals. Here's an excerpt:

The greatest effect on this study was related to age. There was a sharp drop observed among the typically developing children in letter reversals between the ages of 7 and 8.

In first grade, I would discuss the reversal with the child but not mark the entire word incorrect.