Menu

Is fondant a bad thing?

I made my first cake with marshmallow fondant yesterday, and I have been so excited about it... until I looked on craigslist today for cake decorating items. There was an ad by a person who offered cake decorating services. She wrote that she did not use fondant, but made her own icing as if fondant was undesirable. I'm new to the cake decorating world & I thought fondant was a great thing. Is it not?

I personally don't like it. You can do a lot w/ it, and it is kind of the latest thing in cake decorating, but I prefer icing. I also think it takes more talent to decorate w/ pure icing. (not to make light of your accomplishments- just my preference/opinion)

I like the look of fondant, but YUCK! If I'm going to eat it, I like real icing.

My stepson's groom's cake had fondant. He's a firemedic, and the groom's cake was a fireman's hat. I can't see how it could have been made to look so good without fondant. But, I noticed a lot of plates with the fondant on the side. Most people, including me, took it off and just ate the cake.

a%3E4329570258_d2b97c44a7.jpg4329570258_d2b97c44a7.jpg

m

Yep, like others have said it has a weird texture and flavor-but to each their own. Some people LOVE it, others not so much.

My wedding cake was done entirely in buttercream, it was AMAZING! My sister's fondant covered...it was VERY pretty as well, but VERY simple. Different tastes in both terms of how we wanted our cakes to look and how we wanted them covered.

My son is an aspiring baker-he wants to learn how to use fondant and make it taste *good*. He even wants to make fondant decorations for his cupcakes. Lucky me :tongue_smilie: