Menu

Do you ever just "piecemeal" your English Curriculum?

What do you use if you just piecemeal an English course together?

For my 11th grader, I cannot figure out what to use, so I may put together my own.

These are the things I may use:

Windows to the World

Easy Grammar Deluxe...does an 11th grader even need grammar?

Vocab from Sadlier-Oxford

Write Better Essays in Just 20 minutes day

Write Source 2000 Handbook

How does this sound so far? Any other suggestions???

I am piecing mine together for 10th grade in the following manner:

• WTM Logic and Rhetoric reading list along with Beautiful Feet to go along with Medieval History.
  • Teaching the Classics and Windows to the World since I don't know what to say or do with all the beautiful literature on the above lists.
  • Easy Grammar Ultimate or Fix It Grammar to keep his skills sharp.
  • Vocabulary will be a combination of Word Roots CD-Rom and WTM.
  • Writing will be High School Essay Intensive in preperation of the timed essay on the SAT and covering TWSS Units across the curriculum from IEW.

Yep, we have always piecemealed English. This year (9th) we used -

• Vocabulary from Classical Roots
  • Analytical Grammar
  • Writing: Elegant Essay, Sentence Composing for High School, and The Lovely Art of Writing as well as essay writing across all his other courses
  • Literature ala WTM (Ancients) with some study guides I found online as well as lectures from The Teaching Company

He's also working his way through Essential Literary Terms and outlining Strunk & White.

Yep, we have always piecemealed English. This year (9th) we used -

• Vocabulary from Classical Roots

• Analytical Grammar

• Writing: Elegant Essay, Sentence Composing for High School, and The Lovely Art of Writing as well as essay writing across all his other courses

• Literature ala WTM (Ancients) with some study guides I found online as well as lectures from The Teaching Company

He's also working his way through Essential Literary Terms and outlining Strunk & White.

Where can I see Sentence Composing for High School?

We do as well. I prefer the term custom designed. :D;)

Me too!:)

I suppose I have.

Both high schoolers have finished vocabulary from classical roots. The older one also did vocabulary for high school this year. So I'm not buying an additional vocabulary program for them at this point.

Next month, I'm going to cover more intensive study skills. And we will go over How to Read a Book despite my personal dread of it. (It is soooo dry!)

Next year (10/11 grades) we will be using what I have available.

Hewitt speech

IEW window to the world and elegant essay (I'm iffy on these, but it will be easier for coop use.)

Elements of Style, Jenson Format Writing, Classical Rhetoric for the Modern Student and Writer's Inc are on hand for supportive resources.

I know WTM recommends grammar (specificly abeka or Glencoe Writer's Choice) all the way through high school, but ... well... I don't want to. We do a daily grammar drill and edit 5 paragraph essays. They have at least one per week in addition to other shorter writings.

I will compile a book list based on what we have on hand and various suggestions from other sources.

I do not know if that's enough or if it's properly done or whatever by other folks standards.

I do know the "custom design" I cobbled together plan this year has worked for us, so I'm sticking with it.:)