Menu

Can you help me pronounce Don Quixote?

I'm just beginning my adventure with TWEM.

My first assignment: Don Quixote

My first fear: someone will ask me what I'm reading - and I won't know how to pronounce what I'm reading. good grief.

Please have mercy - and help me. :)

Here's what wikipedia had to say about the pronunciation. They even have a file you can download to hear it pronounced but my computer is not compatible with it.

is the original spelling in medieval Castilian, and is used in English. However, modern Spanish has since gone through spelling reforms and phonetic changes which have turned the x into j.

The x was pronounced like an English sh sound (voiceless postalveolar fricative) in medieval times — IPA: [kiˈʃote] — and this is reflected in the French name Don Quichotte, the Dutch Don Quichot (or Don Quichote), as well as in the Italian name Don Chisciotte. However, in Spanish such words (now virtually all spelled with a j) are now pronounced with a voiceless velar fricative sound like the Scottish or German ch (as in Loch, Bach) or the Greek Chi (χ) — [kiˈxote]. English speakers generally attempt something close to the modern Spanish pronunciation when saying Quixote/Quijote, as IPA: /dɒŋkiːˈhoʊte/, although the incorrect traditional English pronunciation /ˈkwɪksət/ or /ˈkwɪksoʊt/ is still frequently used, more in the United Kingdom than in the United States [23].

In Spanish, the "qu" in "qui" and "que" are pronounced almost identically to the English "k", so when people pronounce it /ˈkwɪksoʊt/, it is ultimately incorrect. The e at the end of "Quixote" is pronounced as a soft e, not a hard e, nor a silent e, due to Spanish phonetics. The traditional English rendering is also preserved in the pronunciation of the adjectival form quixotic.

Hope this helps

I must have learned it slamming through "sustained silent reading" time, or those zillion college books years ago, but I read The Od----y names all kinds of ways :thumbup:

but the most egregious one was "tele-MOCK-us"! :tongue_smilie:

Maybe it was all that Greek root study???:confused:

Course, I read aloud "that book" to the kids now like crazy--very expressive, great voices, rolling right along until--Telemachus comes up! :tongue_smilie:

Halt! Mom has to erase her brain :smash: and say...

Tell-LEM-a-chus!:hurray:

Cathy

Don't make it sound like Donkey Hoe-tee! That makes me cringe!! (I tell my kids he was NOT a Donkey! LOL)

Yes, like the others said: Don rhymes with bone. Key Hoe Tay (tay rhymes with hay). Acccent on the Hoe.

LOL!