Menu

Anyone get up at 5:00 a.m.? Give us your tips!

Believe me, I've tried. But the only way I'm going to fit in Bible reading, prayer, exercise, shower, and breakfast before time to start school is to get up at 5:00 a.m. I have the book, Shopping for Time, and am reading in it tonight, but I wonder if some of you earlybirds want to give advice! I've been getting up at 6:00, so this would be an hour earlier.

I get up at five am, but that's because Chuck is only a month old and I have to feed her :D

I've heard some people get up 15 minutes earlier for a week until they get used to that. Since you're already getting up at 6, it would only be 4 weeks.

I do get up at 5:00 am but I don't stay up. I head back to bed for a couple more hours (or sometimes the only hours) of sleep at 8:00. How about staying up and hour or so later and then getting up at your regular time? I find it much easier to stay up late than to get up early.

I get up anywhere from 3:30 to 6:00 depending on my DH's schedule for that day. 3:30 is more common than 6:00. :D It's funny because I'm naturally a night owl...not a morning person at all...and now that I've gotten used to getting up that early, I actually kind of like it. I still have a hard time getting up and getting going, but once I do get going, I love how much I'm able to get done.

I get up at 5:00 to help DH get out of the house (he leaves at 5:30). I have been doing this for the last month, I feel sorry for him because he's been working 14 hours most days.

But, when he leaves at 5:30, I get my coffee and laptop and get back in bed and come here.:blushing:

I dont set an alarm because I think alarms are really bad for your health. I just go to bed early enough to wake up when I want to wake up and get enough sleep. Lately thats around 5.30am- I go to bed around 10pm.

Plus I have afternoon rests.

I do not go sleep deprived except when I get PMS insomnia.

I love early mornings- I am a morning person and always have been. I wake up fresh. That may be long years of habit though, but even as a child I would get up earlier than I had to to get some before school exercise.

I dont think I could motivate myself to jump out of bed eagerly though if I was dreading the day, or if I intended to "make" myself do something i dont really want to do, though. I love my morning meditation time, and my first cup of tea, and checking my email before everyone gets up and wants my attention- I also love the fresh air, watching the early morning light and sunrise, and the sound of the birds at dawn. I always think its sad that so many people miss the most beautiful part of the day :) It is also a productive time of day if you are motivated.

I can see 5 in warm weather. I think not in winter.

If it feels wonderful, do it. My oldest dd cannot stay in bed past 5. (She is sound asleep by 9.) I do understand the lark. :)

I wouldn't kill myself over it, however. Find your natural body clock (and by that I don't mean hovering over the computer at midnight like *some* people lol) and follow it.

If I wanted to be up by 5 and be any good to my loved ones, I would be off all electronics by 9:30, as it takes some time to unwind after using artificial light/movement etc. Some people might need to shut down earlier.

Edited by LibraryLover

I dont set an alarm because I think alarms are really bad for your health. I just go to bed early enough to wake up when I want to wake up and get enough sleep. Lately thats around 5.30am- I go to bed around 10pm.

Plus I have afternoon rests.

I do not go sleep deprived except when I get PMS insomnia.

I love early mornings- I am a morning person and always have been. I wake up fresh. That may be long years of habit though, but even as a child I would get up earlier than I had to to get some before school exercise.

I dont think I could motivate myself to jump out of bed eagerly though if I was dreading the day, or if I intended to "make" myself do something i dont really want to do, though. I love my morning meditation time, and my first cup of tea, and checking my email before everyone gets up and wants my attention- I also love the fresh air, watching the early morning light and sunrise, and the sound of the birds at dawn. I always think its sad that so many people miss the most beautiful part of the day :) It is also a productive time of day if you are motivated.

Nice! Thanks! Your description of early morning is motivating by itself! I will remember this, and remember to look forward to the quiet time and energizing exercise!

Thanks for all your replies!

Here's my update - lol! I set my alarm for 5:30, and then woke up at 5:50 wondering why it hadn't gone off. Checking, I realized I had set it for p.m.! (Really?!?!) I ended up going back to bed for a bit, justifying it because I was awake a lot during the night.

So, today, my caffeine was before lunch, not after, and I should sleep well. For Take 2, I'll make sure it's set for a.m., think about how great the early morning is (a la Peela), realize I may not feel totally refreshed for the first 10-15 minutes up (a la the book, Shopping for Time), and plan to have a cup of tea first thing in the morning. :D

I am up at 5 every morning. My secret is coffee immediately!!!! I make my husbands lunch and then I get to chit chat with him for a few minutes. I love getting up early because I get sooo much done when nobody else is up. I do not like to clean at night at all. To be honest the thing that wakes me up the most is taking a shower and getting ready first thing. I never get to bed before 10:30 - 11:00. I usually wake up before the alarm. I have been getting up at 5 for 17 years so my body is just accustomed to it. So, coffee and shower, thats my advice. :)

HTH, Kristen