Menu

Potty training boys question???

Let me begin by saying, this is NOT my plan for this month. Everyone in the WORLD has assured me that boys do NOT potty train early at all. I'm not sure that my son got that message....the one that says he's not supposed to be interested at all til he's at least 3. :glare: So, here we are a few months shy of 2 and he wants to sit on the potty. He even goes some of the time without my prompting (which is good since I"ve been actively discouraging him).

So, explain to me about little boy parts. He's so chubby when he sits on the potty, his little boy parts stick straight out. I told him to point it down, and he does sometimes, but he doesn't always remember, so we are having technical difficulties. He's too short to stand up, even on a stool. How on earth do I keep from having a bathroom that has been sprayed with urine? :tongue_smilie:

Again, the things no one tells you!!!!!!

Get a kids size potty.. My youngest is 11 so its been awhile but the kids pot had a cup thats slides on the front so when a boy sat down the attachment cupped him when he sat. So it caught the urine. If you are using a regular toilet than he will have to be trained to push "it" down. Thats what I did with the boys when away from home.

I have my little boys sit backward on the potty when they pee. This is after they have completely convinced me that they are potty trained. I do not do conventional potty training. As they get bigger, they will stand up and pee. There is a caveat w/ backward sitting, however. If you go out in public, they want to sit backward on the nasty pubic toilets..ew. Mine usually aren't using public toilets until they can stand up and do their thing. I make them wear diapers when we go out if they are not "stand up" trained.

By age 3, my boys are begging me to get out of their diapers, and I tell them they have to stay dry and clean for 3 days before I allow them to wear underwear. It has worked for us for 3 boys (conventional potty training almost killed me w/ the other 3 boys).

Good luck!

Blessings.

I trained mine to pee in a regular toilet. We had a little stool.

Mine were fully potty trained (apart from the occasional accident) well before three years old. I think you actually should take the opportunity that has presented itself. Don't worry about what everyone says. If *your* son is seeming interested, he's probably ready.

I found potty training very easy. Sort of like dog training. Pee in the toilet, get a treat (M&Ms). It was pretty much done in a couple of days, because those boys REALLY were motived by the treats!

Get a kids size potty.. My youngest is 11 so its been awhile but the kids pot had a cup thats slides on the front so when a boy sat down the attachment cupped him when he sat. So it caught the urine. If you are using a regular toilet than he will have to be trained to push "it" down. Thats what I did with the boys when away from home.

This "cup" worked for both of my boys. Now it looks more like a shield in the front (to shield your bathroom) that flips up and down. You can also purchase just a potty seat with a shield that will fit on top of your regular potty. I think the one I bought was around $10.00 about 2 years ago. I went to Walmart or Babies R Us.

I found this online. They do not picture the "deflector" but the description says it comes with one.

http://www.pottytrainingstuff.com/bigbirdpseat.htm

If he can't learn to "push it down," (which my boys got the hang of in a relatively short period of time), try a really high stool and the Cheerios trick! Float some Os in the bowl and tell him to target practice! Boys generally love this and improve their aim quickly! :D

The Baby Bjorn potty has been the greatest investment for this house LOL It runs about $20 ?? Has ample room for chunkies to situate comfortably as well as the guard in front. My little guy has never shot out of it. And the pot is all one piece..well, there is one completely all one piece version and the one I have which is the seat and then the 'pot' part that is a molded bowl, the guard is molded into the bowl, no separate piece to catch nastiness or pinch or anything like that.

And as for the 'big potty' I have him sit backwards. It seems to naturally 'align' things :p

ah, link:

http://www.target.com/gp/search/601-0021417-8103346?field-keywords=potty%20baby%20bjorn&AFID=google&CPNG=Baby&LNM=potty_baby_bjorn&LID=4326340&ref=tgt_adv_XSGT0706

see, the first is the 'one piece' unit I mentioned, the next one is like what I have used for the last 2 kids here, with the removable bowl