Menu

Which italic handwriting?

oraetstudia

I've come to the realization that all my children have handwriting that stinks. So I'm considering making them all go to handwriting re-education boot camp this summer (I may make myself go too, since my hand-writing has deteriorated some over the years as well). But if we jump on the italic handwriting band wagon, should we go with Getty-Dubay or Barchowsky? Is one better, easier, prettier than the other?

imho, the Barchowsky font looks prettier on the computer, but the Getty-Dubay style is simple, pretty and easier to implement.

Not to confuse you further, but there are a few other styles/fonts available online, incl. Jarman, Briem font and Victoria Modern Cursive. Also, an ebook called Italics - Beautiful Handwriting for Children.

We use Getty-Dubay (but I'll admit that I never researched any other italics). I just picked one, and I've been very pleased with how much my dd's handwriting improved over 2 years. She now writes prettier than I do, and I've let her drop handwriting as a subject. My boys still have a long way to go...

I'm going with Getty-Dubay, since I have the font in StartWrite. Though I hadn't looked at others, except the Beautiful Handwriting for Children one, which also looks good. I wouldn't do my 'e' like she does though. Two parts for an 'e'? :001_huh: Of course, that would be easy to get around (just teach the one part 'e' yourself). The other thing that makes me choose GDI over BHC is the lined paper. Just looking at the BHC lines makes me a bit crazy. I like the GDI lines better.

I hadn't seen the Barchowsky before, though I'd heard about it. It does look pretty, but I like the GDI font too, and I think my son will transition well to it, since he's coming from HWT print. He's seen me practicing GDI and tried to mimic it by turning his paper and just writing at an angle. :lol: He's excited about learning italics.

I'm very happy with Getty-Dubay. DD the Elder had completed through Book D. She has beautiful handwriting and her speed is coming along well.

• 1 year later...

I was wondering if parents using italic handwriting programs for their children don't do any sort of printables that have writing instructions on them? My son, a rising K, needs a handwriting program, but a lot of other instructional material for that age has handwriting guidelines in standard print. Do you make your own instructional material or just not use the printables that would confuse your child's writing?

*Sigh* - I'm in the same boat. Over the last year DS9's handwriting has gotten a LOT worse. He likes cursive, so I'm not sure if I should make him shore that up, or review italics (which we did in 1st). He'll need to print anyway, but ?? Why aren't there easy answers? :glare:

Love these.

I was wondering if parents using italic handwriting programs for their children don't do any sort of printables that have writing instructions on them? My son, a rising K, needs a handwriting program, but a lot of other instructional material for that age has handwriting guidelines in standard print. Do you make your own instructional material or just not use the printables that would confuse your child's writing?

Do you mean typeface for instructions? Or do you mean something like "Draw Write Now" where the pages have ball & stick writing? For the former my kids didn't get confused by nor pay attention to the directions... :tongue_smilie: For the DWN books we did the pictures only and not the writing. If we had chosen to do the writing I would have written the model in the correct handwriting style on the whiteboard for them. I do avoid anything else for copywork that is a different style. So many of the currclick items and local store products are out. Check out copycat books for a good variety of styles and themes - plus they are only $5 each.

Do you mean typeface for instructions? Or do you mean something like "Draw Write Now" where the pages have ball & stick writing? For the former my kids didn't get confused by nor pay attention to the directions... :tongue_smilie: For the DWN books we did the pictures only and not the writing. If we had chosen to do the writing I would have written the model in the correct handwriting style on the whiteboard for them. I do avoid anything else for copywork that is a different style. So many of the currclick items and local store products are out. Check out copycat books for a good variety of styles and themes - plus they are only $5 each.

I will check out the copycat books. And also about getting the correct font so I can make my own copywork sheets.

I was wondering if parents using italic handwriting programs for their children don't do any sort of printables that have writing instructions on them?

No, we just worked with verbal instructions from me.

Do you make your own instructional material or just not use the printables that would confuse your child's writing?

My dd learnt Italics via copywork (written out by me) but if you want a good printable with guidelines suitable for Italics, do check out Penny Gardner's book.