Menu

Is TOG's writing enough?

krwsmum

I downloaded the 3 week sample-and omg I love it!! After reviewing her suggestions, I see she claims the writing is enough, other than adding in Easy Grammar...

What is your take on this, I was planning to use WWE & FLL, but I don't want to have TOO much! Experience with Easy Grammar would be nice as well.

krwsmum

*finally decided on a math curriculum! phew!

It's my understanding (and I've only seen the samples and seen people talk about it - I don't have WA myself) that the writing is a little more along the lines of traditional school writing instruction. It's a different philosophy than that of WWE. So I would look at what philosophy of writing YOU want to teach.

I'm planning to try out TOG next year (after waffling back and forth recently... I've decided to try one unit), and I don't plan to use the WA because I love WWE and the philosophy behind it.

I'm not saying that the WA philosophy is wrong or bad. It's just different, so you'd want to look at the two progressions and see which one you want to use in your homeschool. :) Some people may use both, so that could be an option too. I'll bet you can search the forum for "TOG WWE WA" via google's search function and get some threads about it.

It's my understanding (and I've only seen the samples and seen people talk about it - I don't have WA myself) that the writing is a little more along the lines of traditional school writing instruction. It's a different philosophy than that of WWE. So I would look at what philosophy of writing YOU want to teach.

I'm planning to try out TOG next year (after waffling back and forth recently... I've decided to try one unit), and I don't plan to use the WA because I love WWE and the philosophy behind it.

I'm not saying that the WA philosophy is wrong or bad. It's just different, so you'd want to look at the two progressions and see which one you want to use in your homeschool. :) Some people may use both, so that could be an option too. I'll bet you can search the forum for "TOG WWE WA" via google's search function and get some threads about it.

What she said. There is nothing wrong with TOG writing, other than I don't agree with the philosophy used in the early years. I use WWE, then CW, then I plan to use TOG topics with CW.

Heather

:iagree: I am mostly going the WWE way for the early years too.

I find WA (the book) to be an excellent resource. I am using it to teach grammar and sentence structure to my eager writer. It does not hold your hand but is very full of explanations and ideas. Once we are writing paragraphs I hope to implement some TOG assignments along with WWE. We have always done draw and captions (narrations) from the TOG assignments. If you decide to go that way I think you will be very happy.

My friend who rocks TOG (she's my TOG and WTM hero lol) does both. She does Writing Aids but she also has her girls outline and write from a history encyclopedia as part of her TOG. She also does narration, etc. from their history. She also has her girls outline and write for science as well. She likes Writing Aids a lot but is a WTM person as well. What she does has created amazing writers (IMO anyways).

My friend who rocks TOG (she's my TOG and WTM hero lol) does both. She does Writing Aids but she also has her girls outline and write from a history encyclopedia as part of her TOG. She also does narration, etc. from their history. She also has her girls outline and write for science as well. She likes Writing Aids a lot but is a WTM person as well. What she does has created amazing writers (IMO anyways).

Does this awesome friend have a blog? :D

I'd love to pick your friend's brain for awhile.;)

:lurk5:

Thanks for sharing this! Like you, I don't really see the contradiction or at least a reason why you CAN'T combine WTM writing principles with the TOG assignments. To me the samples of Writing Aids look very, very good. But then I've been spending way too much time on their site, trying to decide if I'm drinking the KoolAid with a straw or straight from the jug. :lol:

Still can't make up your mind, huh? :tongue_smilie:

Do I have to? :) I have geography stuff for us this summer and some plans I made up using a spine dd likes for fall (or later) to do some american. TOG is my back-up if I chicken out on doing things myself. If I don't do it fully, I'll probably still buy a couple things, just because I'm very impressed.

I do this, but instead of using the Ency. for D and R, we just stick with the TOG Core. The UG uses the Ency., though and of course, we do narration (or whatever form of graphic organizer we're learning) in LG. It is not hard at all and actually makes perfect sense.

Not that friend, but I'll have to post more about this, I guess. You will see in the PR threads on my blog how we applied the outlining we were working on in PR to history, though.

I'd love to pick your friend's brain for awhile.;)

:lurk5:

You can pick mine if you'd like ;) PM me or ask here, I'll be back most mornings!

Thanks for sharing this! Like you, I don't really see the contradiction or at least a reason why you CAN'T combine WTM writing principles with the TOG assignments. To me the samples of Writing Aids look very, very good. But then I've been spending way too much time on their site, trying to decide if I'm drinking the KoolAid with a straw or straight from the jug. :lol:
CHUG IT! CHUG IT! CHUG IT! :smilielol5:

For anyone that decides to go with WA's, I highly recommend getting Marcia Somerville's two Writing Workshop audios that are available for download or on CD from the TOG site. I listened to them and found them to be very helpful.

We're using WA's along with the TOG assignments this semester and are finding it to be pretty good. We also use R&S, which has more writing assignments (I do not like EG at all) and together I'm finding it is a thorough program.

Like others have posted, you just have to find what works best for your family and go with it. I wrote about learning to be a better writing teacher in my last blog entry, as this has been on my mind recently as well.

Blessings,

Lucinda