Menu

Master list for your home school resources?

Do you have a master list for your homeschool resources? If so, how is it organized; how long did it take you to put it together; do you use it; and would you be willing to share a sample.

I have missed using a couple of favorite resources recently and realize that it would make my life so much easier if I had a master list. Any suggestions?

At first I thought you meant EVERYTHING on the market, hehe. That would be an undertaking. Easier at that point just to look at the vendor list for the Cincy convention. (just joking)

But seriously, for organizing my *own* books and tm's and things, well I use library software. Sounds like you're ready for this too. I use Readerware, but options abound. I can search by keyword, etc, making it easy to find how much I own on Lincoln or whatever. Readerware (and I suspect most of the other library software) looks up on amazon, etc. for descriptions, so you have large searchable fields.

I keep my tm's and whatnot organized by subject on the shelves, history books roughly by time period, biographies together, Omnibus/GB together, etc. So basically the resources (craft books, audiobooks, etc.) for a topic I try to keep WITH the other materials it would be used with. When we start that time period or aspect, I pull everything I have for that time period or whatever and put it in one place, together. So far so good. The other thing is to make a spreadsheet with your topics and resources for each.

Yes, it's the Readerware software. Looks humble, but it gets the job done. I've used it 6 or 7 years now. I have the small cue cat scanner they describe, and I think it was around $10 on amazon. For more options, which may very well be BETTER for all I know, do a board search for library software.

I have a master list but it ain't pretty or sophisticated. Wait for it....... it's a Word Document. :lol: It has everything I own. I use it OFTEN! Everytime a package comes it, it immediately goes to my computer for cataloguing into my word document. IT works for me. SO I have subheadings for math, math curricula, animals, space, human biology, chemistry, chemistry curricula, physics, physics curricula, logic, literature curricula, lit books that goes w/ curricula, writing curricula, writing resources, vocabulary, poetry, music appreciation, art appreciation, ancient history, WWI/WWII, American Rev/Civil War, general history, etc. I even have all the books on the shelves roughly in those categories.

Yes, it's the Readerware software. Looks humble, but it gets the job done. I've used it 6 or 7 years now. I have the small cue cat scanner they describe, and I think it was around $10 on amazon. For more options, which may very well be BETTER for all I know, do a board search for library software.

The organizational side of my brain is doing a happy dance.

We had a cue cat when they first came out. I think Radio Shack was giving them away. We're techno people, yet we thought we'd have no use at all for this. I think we gave it ds to play with. :lol:

I have most of my HS-level history/humanities/literature/arts/philosophy resources listed in a word processing document, with a separate section for each of the 4 time periods I'll be covering in high school, plus some additional courses I'm planning (World Religions, History of Science, etc.). Each page or thematic section lists resources according to type: spines/texts, TC courses, documentaries, supplementary reading, original sources, and "other."

It's great for planning HS, but not really "handy" for everyday use, and it doesn't include most of my science resources or any of the resources at DD's level, so I've decided to print everything on index cards. I bought a pack of light-weight 5x7 index cards with one blank side and one lined side. I'll print the resources (vertically) on the blank side, and then when I need to add things I can write them on the lined side. This way I can break up the sciences into subtopics (e.g. dividing the Bio resources into cellular, genetics, evolution, ecology, zoology, botany), since we do multiple sciences each year and I tend to mix & match topics. I have lots of colored markers I can use to color code different types of resources, different levels (DD, DS), etc.

I also have a CueCat scanner and a Library Thing account, but I can never find the time to get all the books & DVDs scanned in. :(

Jackie

I have a master list but it ain't pretty or sophisticated. Wait for it....... it's a Word Document. :lol: It has everything I own. I use it OFTEN! Everytime a package comes it, it immediately goes to my computer for cataloguing into my word document. IT works for me. SO I have subheadings for math, math curricula, animals, space, human biology, chemistry, chemistry curricula, physics, physics curricula, logic, literature curricula, lit books that goes w/ curricula, writing curricula, writing resources, vocabulary, poetry, music appreciation, art appreciation, ancient history, WWI/WWII, American Rev/Civil War, general history, etc. I even have all the books on the shelves roughly in those categories.

Would it be possible to see a page or two of your list? For some weird reason, I am better at doing this kind of thing in Excel, but would love to have it in Word.

The idea of me possessing a CueCat as a means of organizing my resources positively makes me giddy. But you could only list things with bar codes, right?

I have most of my HS-level history/humanities/literature/arts/philosophy resources listed in a word processing document, with a separate section for each of the 4 time periods I'll be covering in high school, plus some additional courses I'm planning (World Religions, History of Science, etc.). Each page or thematic section lists resources according to type: spines/texts, TC courses, documentaries, supplementary reading, original sources, and "other."

It's great for planning HS, but not really "handy" for everyday use, and it doesn't include most of my science resources or any of the resources at DD's level, so I've decided to print everything on index cards. I bought a pack of light-weight 5x7 index cards with one blank side and one lined side. I'll print the resources (vertically) on the blank side, and then when I need to add things I can write them on the lined side. This way I can break up the sciences into subtopics (e.g. dividing the Bio resources into cellular, genetics, evolution, ecology, zoology, botany), since we do multiple sciences each year and I tend to mix & match topics. I have lots of colored markers I can use to color code different types of resources, different levels (DD, DS), etc.

I also have a CueCat scanner and a Library Thing account, but I can never find the time to get all the books & DVDs scanned in. :(

Jackie

Your powers of organizing a vast number of resources quickly has always amazed me. I want to be able to flip open one thin notebook and see all the current resources by discipline and then by categories. I am assuming you are very proficient on your word program, eh? Sigh. Any chance I could see a few pages, please. I am not whining, really. Really.

Jackie

I have the free library thing and it's only 25.00 for a lifetime member. However, it's online and I would like the ability to utilize something when I'm not offline (yes, that occasionally happens). I would also like something you can use on more than one computer.

Evernote might be another option. it's free (for a certain usage during the month) and you can sync between computers. I would be nice to have access to the list when you're at a bookstore.

Hmm, off to play with Evernote and see how that might work.

The idea of me possessing a CueCat as a means of organizing my resources positively makes me giddy. But you could only list things with bar codes, right?

I'm pretty sure you can add things manually in Library Thing. The feature that makes it useful is the ability to label all your resources with mulitple "tags," so you can input a book or DVD and tag it with "medieval," "epic poetry," "9th grade," etc., and then you can pull up all the resources for a particular topic, genre, grade level, or whatever.

... assuming you can find the time to input everything. :tongue_smilie:

Jackie

I'm pretty sure you can add things manually in Library Thing. The feature that makes it useful is the ability to label all your resources with mulitple "tags," so you can input a book or DVD and tag it with "medieval," "epic poetry," "9th grade," etc., and then you can pull up all the resources for a particular topic, genre, grade level, or whatever.

... assuming you can find the time to input everything. :tongue_smilie:

Jackie

Thanks, Jackie. I will check it out and my apologies to you and Capt. Uhura. In my desperation, I forgot that asking another homeschooler to share their master resource list is a bit like asking one to display one's underwear drawer. It's highly personal. :tongue_smilie:

But a blank form would be cool.:D

With readerware you can enter by ISBN/LCCN or do a manual entry. If you do the ISBN/LCCN, it searches online through tons of databases, reviews, etc. filling in all the fields, assigning value, etc. It is pretty quick to enter the ISBN/LCCNs. The real time is waiting for it to do all that searching and then comparing what it got to your book to make sure everything is right. In a batch of 35-50, I'll usually have a couple weird polish titles turn up or something, lol. It's usually a scholastic or off-brand edition where the isbn wasn't registered right.

There are additional fields you could label and mark to your specific interests (branch of science, whatever). Our books are mainly history, so keeping them chrono has been adequate for us. I use the TQ guides and reading lists, so it's pretty easy to get reminded of something that would fit.

Some library software programs have an option to install on your iphone/ipod thing and sync with your regular computer, so you can check what you have when you're out shopping, very handy.

Welcome back Jackie. :)

Mine is even more low tech than yours....25 cent spiral bound notebook...and a pen...LOL.

Mine is in my head. I am feeling pretty stupid I never thought of making a master system.

Well.. to be fair I did ask my husband to organize all our books into a system so I could find what we needed. I spend far too much time every summer walking around the house mumbling to myself "I just know I have a book about this somewhere. I know I picked it up at that sale"

Did I mention my husband is a librarian? At a major research library? Who goes around the world teaching other people how to be better librarians? Who helps other universities to create entire e-libraries?

Yeah, the shoemakers children go unshod and the librarian's children live in a house of unorganized shelves and boxes of books.

Mine is in my head. I am feeling pretty stupid I never thought of making a master system.

Well.. to be fair I did ask my husband to organize all our books into a system so I could find what we needed. I spend far too much time every summer walking around the house mumbling to myself "I just know I have a book about this somewhere. I know I picked it up at that sale"

Did I mention my husband is a librarian? At a major research library? Who goes around the world teaching other people how to be better librarians? Who helps other universities to create entire e-libraries?

Yeah, the shoemakers children go unshod and the librarian's children live in a house of unorganized shelves and boxes of books.

Oh that's TOO funny!!! Well what he is doing doesn't translate down well to a home. Not like you're going to use the library's software. So search the boards, find 3 or 4 options, and do it yourself. I'll bet you could input 500-1000 books a day into readerware if you really sat down and got at it. First get them all entered, room by room. You just through a room, enter all the books in that room, then demand that NO BOOKS LEAVE THAT ROOM. Do the next room. Once you're done with all the rooms in the house, then you're free to start rearranging, building shelves, etc. Probably what convolutes you is thinking you need to organize them first. You don't. First get them entered, then go back and start organizing.

I'm trying to remember how many books I had when I first started readerware. See I had started with another program, and decided to change. With the other program I had to enter all the fields, extremely time-consuming, and with readerware I just needed ISBN/LCCNs. I think I may have had around 1200 books at the time. I had spent WEEKS putting them into the other software, and I think in just a day or two I had them done. Whatever it was, it wasn't painful and sold me on the process. I have about 4,400 books now, all entered, so I've stayed pretty happy with it.

PS. I keep some types of books in laundry baskets, and some years I put our current use topical books in milk crates. Also, my dh built us a lot of shelves by installing track on the walls and hanging board shelves in the basement (dry of course). So there are more ways to get organized. Even into rooms by topic and knowing that you have the book will be a help. :)

I have all my hs books in two bookcases in my bedroom, with the things I plan to use this year grouped together. I also keep a folder on my computer labeled "homeschool." Within that folder, I have separate subfolders for each year (since we're getting ready to go into middle school, those are currently 6th grade lesson plans, 7th grade lesson plans, 8th grade and above lesson plans). In each of the subfolders, are word or excel documents (usually word) that have ideas, weblinks, etc for various subjects. That makes it easy to cut and paste things I come across on the boards or elsewhere. For 6th grade, at some point over the next couple of months I will sit down and go through those files as well as the books/videos/etc I have to start laying out next year.

I make a table in a word document for each subject, listing out lesson by lesson what we've got. It's a "do the next thing" sort of check-off list, not with dates though. I include any videos, websites, other outside resources we may want to use. This year we haven't used everything listed by any means, and I've done a lot of editing on the fly, but it's nice to have something to work from. It also helps me not forget that I have a cool kit or a fiction book or video I wanted to include (like I did last year;)). I print off all of those tables and then organize them in a 3 ring notebook separated into subjects.

To record what we've actually done, I use a Homeschooler's Journal http://www.fergnusservices.com/. I write down what we do as we do it, including field trips, outside activities, breaks, etc.

The books we are currently using go in a rubbermaid tote behind the couch, since we do most of our schooling in the living room. As we finish totally with something (ie books on ancient Egypt) it either goes back on the shelf if it's a keeper, to the recycle bin if it was a consumable or in a pile to go to our local homeschool consignment store. I've been trying to be diligent about clearing out as we go, since I only have one child. Then I go to the shelves and pull the next set (ie books on ancient China or Greece or what have you) to go into the tub for ready access. I have also used one of the rolling crates instead of the tub, which makes it easy to move around. They ended up in the tub recently because I needed the crate for something else.

Edited by KarenNC

I keep an Excel spreadsheet of everything I buy for homeschooling...It has everything I use and how much I have spent...

I have a second list of what I will need for the next school year and the estimated cost...As I buy it, I plug in the actual price in another box...

Aside from having a list of what I have, this helps me also to know how much money I have spent and how much money I will need for next year...

I keep an Excel spreadsheet of everything I buy for homeschooling...It has everything I use and how much I have spent...

I have a second list of what I will need for the next school year and the estimated cost...As I buy it, I plug in the actual price in another box...

Aside from having a list of what I have, this helps me also to know how much money I have spent and how much money I will need for next year...

You really want that lying around where your dh can find it? :lol: