Menu

Kool Aid in the Dishwasher

You can buy citric acid.

You can find it at beer/wine making supply stores. You can also use citric acid to make bath bombs so that makes it worth an extra stop. :lol:

You can also get it from Ace Hardware. I don't think they carry it in every store, maybe more in the summer because there is more canning going on, but they do free delivery to the store. I use it in my homemade dishwasher detergent.

You can buy citric acid.

You can find it at beer/wine making supply stores. You can also use citric acid to make bath bombs so that makes it worth an extra stop. :lol:

So logic says to me then that if you buy a new beer and it stinks you can use the remaining bottles in your sinks, toilets, dishwasher, etc...:w00t:

What are bath bombs?

Those things that if you toss them into your bath they fizz up and smell nice.

It is citric acid, baking soda and smelly stuff (quality of smelly stuff generally dependant on price) You can add essential oils, fixed oils, coloring, glitter, herbs, sea salts ect ect. I use 1/3 citric to 2/3 baking soda and add other fun things at will.

This is scary. What in the world does it do to your stomach???

If you have issues like UC or IC Koolaid can really bother you. Generally the lining of your organs should protect them but if you have an issue (like with IC or UC) with that then it can cause flares.

Citric acid is also in a lot of vitamins and is used as a preservative in a LOT of things. It is generally safe for consumption.

You could put lemon juice in your dishwasher and generally get the same result. Citric acid is just that, the acid from citris. As long as you aren't going hogwild and don't have a condition that has issues with acid you should be ok.

I have IC so I do try to avoid it, but I don't mind if my kids consume it. Citric acid is much safer than the dyes in koolaid.

Edited by Sis

We tried the citric acid via Coke in a glass with a penny and a tooth this year for science and the citric acid in the Coke did nothing but brown the tooth, well I guess that was more the coloring than the citric acid.

We prefer natural cleaning remedies as opposed to chemicals so when I heard about the Kool Aid I just had to try it.

So I wonder, if I sprinkly Kool Aid on the kids, will they do their chores without being reminded?

I usually use a product called LemiShine for the same reason, to remove hard water deposits. Tang is cheaper, and I have used it when I couldn't get LS (it's only sold at a couple of stores, none of which is very close to me), but DH was concerned that that was too much sugar to be dumping into the septic system at one time. Anyone know about that?

Also, we've tried vinegar in the rinse aid dispenser but not lemon juice. Good idea!