Menu

Brand-new to homeschooling and this board.

Hi, my name is Diana and I'm just getting organized and ready to homeschool. I have a five year old who is currently attending preschool, a four year old, a two year old, and a seven-month old.

So wow, I feel all like the clueless newbie among the seasoned warriors! I am here to learn how to help my children learn! I am so green, I am wet behind the ears!

I originally started 100EL and MUS Primer right after my babe was about three months old, but MUS was not advanced enough for the five year old, and he wound up being bored by the length of 100EL lessons (and I wasn't very consistent with it). I was trying to wing it all by putting it all together with stuff I found online, but my inexperience was just overwhelming and I wasn't organized and lost motivation and just hung out with the kiddos and tried to keep everybody alive and happy.

Since then I put my oldest in preschool, and he's been having fun there, but I still want to homeschool starting in the summer. I just wasn't sure how to go about it.

I found the Well-Trained Mind at my local library and have just started reading it. It has been liberating in many senses. I feel like I am more excited about homeschooling and feel like I am starting to gather new tools. So I am on the hunt for more good resources.

I have ordered 'Slow and Steady, Get Me Ready'. It will help out with all the kids!

I am trying to select a curriculum for my oldest and figure out if SSGMR is good for the other guys.

So yup, here's my awkward intro! Any tips on using the board or homeschooling resources for having several young children would be absolutely awesome. Thanks in advance for reading all that and just for being here!

Welcome!

My kids are now in their teens, and were homeschooled up until this year. In addition to being closely spaced, I ran a daycare for many of the years we homeschooled.

My advice to you now is to know that short, frequent lessons "work" for littles, and can be of great benefit considering the needs of your non school aged kids are going to be consuming for several years to come.