Menu

IEW: where to begin?

Well, we've got the grammar problem finally figured out so now I'm trying to decide what to do for writing with DS11. IEW was recommended. I checked out their site, but I'm not sure how or where to begin. Do I need everything? Can I get by with just the theme writing? How does it work? How does one begin? Writing has always come very easily for me and what I think should make sense and just be "natural" apparently isn't--how can one NOT remember to always capitalize the first word in a sentence???:confused: I don't want to be changing curriculums, I want something that is going to work. The expense kind of has me worried, but at least come next year, we'll be able to afford it so at least that's not as big an issue, right now it is though. How does IEW compare to Writing Strands?

I don't know how it compares to writing strands. If I were using IEW (and I am) I would start with me watching the Teaching Writing: Structure and Style (TWSS) then teach on my own using the subjects we're reading about, or use a theme-based program. I am using TWSS and Student Writing Intensive (SWI) together. But if I'd have watched the TWSS first I think I'd have just taught on my own. My son is really enjoying the SWI. We sit down and watch it together. The good thing about IEW is that they have a money back guarantee. You don't like.... send it back within a whole year or something like that. I love it and finally feel like I can teach writing. I'm a natural writer too and can't imagine why not everyone is. But apparently they are not.:lol: I am seeing improvement in my son's writing in just the first 4 units. I highly recommend it!

Some people say that IEW makes formulaic writers. That's only at first, because IEW philosphy is that you learn the styles and techniques and practice them over and over. Then when they are done with IEW and move on, they don't have to use all the dress-ups required in IEW (and they shouldn't) but they are confident writers and know how to write because they know how to use the styles. Andrew Pudewa's way of teaching just resonates with me. :D

I don't know how it compares to writing strands. If I were using IEW (and I am) I would start with me watching the Teaching Writing: Structure and Style (TWSS) then teach on my own using the subjects we're reading about, or use a theme-based program. I am using TWSS and Student Writing Intensive (SWI) together. But if I'd have watched the TWSS first I think I'd have just taught on my own. My son is really enjoying the SWI. We sit down and watch it together. The good thing about IEW is that they have a money back guarantee. You don't like.... send it back within a whole year or something like that. I love it and finally feel like I can teach writing. I'm a natural writer too and can't imagine why not everyone is. But apparently they are not.:lol: I am seeing improvement in my son's writing in just the first 4 units. I highly recommend it!

Some people say that IEW makes formulaic writers. That's only at first, because IEW philosphy is that you learn the styles and techniques and practice them over and over. Then when they are done with IEW and move on, they don't have to use all the dress-ups required in IEW (and they shouldn't) but they are confident writers and know how to write because they know how to use the styles. Andrew Pudewa's way of teaching just resonates with me. :D

Thank you so much, this is very helpful. One of my main concerns was the "need" of both the TWSS and the student DVDs, it seemed redundant and if I was watching the TWSS, shouldn't I be able to teach without the student ones? I was definately thinking of the TWSS for me.

Do I need to do the SWI with the DVDs or would my watching theTWSS suffice? Does the SWI need to be done, or do the theme sets cover everything that SWI covers? Is doing both SWI and the theme books too much and/or redundant?

I'm thinking TWSS and theme books should do it, but don't want to miss anything. My goal is to have this boy writing well by the time he enters high school. I like the idea of the banned words, we could really use those here. I think this is what I want to go with.

Any other opionions out there????

You watching the TWSS would definitely suffice. The SWI is essentially Andrew teaching the TWSS directly to the student. So, I would do TWSS and a theme-based book. I just checked the samples and my table of contents. The theme-based actually cover all 9 units from the TWSS. My SWI does not. Mine covers 1,2,3,6 and 8. So I think TWSS and theme-based is the way to go. Just my 2 cents.

You might not be getting tons of responses cause there are so many discussions in the archives about IEW. You might find more information on a search. Also, joining the IEW yahoo group would give you access to real IEW folks who could answer your questions.

Edited by scrapbabe

Thank you so much, this is very helpful. One of my main concerns was the "need" of both the TWSS and the student DVDs, it seemed redundant and if I was watching the TWSS, shouldn't I be able to teach without the student ones? I was definately thinking of the TWSS for me.

Do I need to do the SWI with the DVDs or would my watching theTWSS suffice? Does the SWI need to be done, or do the theme sets cover everything that SWI covers? Is doing both SWI and the theme books too much and/or redundant?

I'm thinking TWSS and theme books should do it, but don't want to miss anything. My goal is to have this boy writing well by the time he enters high school. I like the idea of the banned words, we could really use those here. I think this is what I want to go with.

Any other opionions out there????

If you don't have it already, get a copy of IEW's new catalog. They now have a full 2-page spread with a flowchart which shows what product/s you should start with depending on what grade your child is in and the progression from there. I really thought it was awesome and hadn't seen it before. It gives you a number of options about which direction you can go in for each grade level.

Actually, here is the chart I saw in their catalog http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/files/2011_IEW_Scope_and_Sequence.pdf.

Lisa

I have only the SWI, and we just started using it. The way used it was to watch it myself. I then do writing assignments with my boys (10 and 11) and use Andrew's lesson as my guide. I will have them watch parts of the SWI because he does walk through some tips much more efficiently than I could. In short I think you can do it with just using SWI and then moving on to other theme based lessons.

Susie

Ok, now you've both gone and confused me.:D I can totally see the pros and cons of going both ways. I tried doing an IEW search here and it was painful trying to find what I was looking for. (There really needs to be a better search engine here, but oh well.) I think I'm off to the yahoo group to explore there.

Until we've gotten some grammar done this year, I haven't really been stressing the writing, so that is encouraging, Michele. I just couldn't see the point if he couldn't tell me "is" is a verb.:tongue_smilie:

Thanks for the help and advice!

If you don't have it already, get a copy of IEW's new catalog. They now have a full 2-page spread with a flowchart which shows what product/s you should start with depending on what grade your child is in and the progression from there. I really thought it was awesome and hadn't seen it before. It gives you a number of options about which direction you can go in for each grade level.

Actually, here is the chart I saw in their catalog http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/files/2011_IEW_Scope_and_Sequence.pdf.

Lisa

THanks Lisa! That helps a lot.

I have only the SWI, and we just started using it. The way used it was to watch it myself. I then do writing assignments with my boys (10 and 11) and use Andrew's lesson as my guide. I will have them watch parts of the SWI because he does walk through some tips much more efficiently than I could. In short I think you can do it with just using SWI and then moving on to other theme based lessons.

Susie

This could work, but SWI doesn't cover all 9 units, the TWSS does. So if you want to know how to teach all units, I would get the TWSS.

You want TWSS/SWI B. Your ds sounds like mine. Having Mr. Pudewa teach the lessons, will take some of the tension away from both you and your ds. See if your library has the TWSS, ours carries it. The notebook for it is worth it though. I watched through once, just watching, getting an overview. Then went back and took notes. Make yourself a teacher development weekend and just do it. Sit and watch the SWI lesson with your ds, then use the lesson breakdown included to get you both up and going.

Some can get by with the TWSS alone, others like the theme books, but I think reluctant writers do best with the Mr. Pudewa as the instructor and mom as the editor.

It's pointless to push IEW before that light bulb for basic grammar goes on though, btdt.

This is true if our child is having a hard time having you be the teacher. Does your child not like to learn from you? I'll admit it is nice to have someone else do the teaching for me and I just edit.

Edited by scrapbabe

Ah, so my question then would be, what am I missing? Do I really need it? Any feedback would be great.

Susie

Well generally the iew people say to use the twss and swi together. But since swi is working for you i would follow up with a sicc. I think they complete the rest of the units. Or next do a themebased unit which covers all nine. They say twss/swi are optimal...but they are pretty similar and lots of people teach with just the swi. If I were you i wouldnt change what i was doing..just follow up with one of the things above. It'll be fine.

IEW obviously wrote swi this way for a purpose, omitting some of the units. Even if you were using the TWSS with it, you wouldn't cover those units. The swi gives the parent assignments on the TWSS to watch, but they coincide with the swi lesson. So you'd have to follow up somewhere else to learn them all. I would follow the sequence on their website and not worry about it. If it's working for you, don't try to "fix" it.

Edited by scrapbabe

Well generally the iew people say to use the twss and swi together. But since swi is working for you i would follow up with a sicc. I think they complete the rest of the units. Or next do a themebased unit which covers all nine. They say twss/swi are optimal...but they are pretty similar and lots of people teach with just the swi. If I were you i wouldnt change what i was doing..just follow up with one of the things above. It'll be fine.

IEW obviously wrote swi this way for a purpose, omitting some of the units. Even if you were using the TWSS with it, you wouldn't cover those units. The swi gives the parent assignments on the TWSS to watch, but they coincide with the swi lesson. So you'd have to follow up somewhere else to learn them all. I would follow the sequence on their website and not worry about it. If it's working for you, don't try to "fix" it.

Thanks! I think that's what we'll do. I was thinking of adding a theme based book to it for next year.

Susie

Well, we've got the grammar problem finally figured out so now I'm trying to decide what to do for writing with DS11. IEW was recommended. I checked out their site, but I'm not sure how or where to begin. Do I need everything? Can I get by with just the theme writing?

Many families do use only the theme books and feel that the instruction is sufficient. I don't because I think we may get bored with them and they aren't as flexible as using the TWSS or SWI. They are also meant as reinforcement, not as the main thrust of the IEW method.

How does it work? How does one begin?

I would begin by getting a used (or new if you can afford it) copy of SWI B and work through it. As you get close to completion I would think about buying the the TWSS to finish out the units. See my explanation below.

Writing has always come very easily for me and what I think should make sense and just be "natural" apparently isn't--

I feel the same way and writing comes easily to me too, but teaching writing is a different story. Trying to break down all the thinking that goes into writing and the stylistic techniques for me is like wrestling with an octupus! I like that IEW has taken the time to list out the techniques and give the student appropriate practice.

how can one NOT remember to always capitalize the first word in a sentence???:confused:

This is a very common problem and comes with time, practice, and most importantly consistent reinforcement from you as the teacher.

I don't want to be changing curriculums, I want something that is going to work. The expense kind of has me worried, but at least come next year, we'll be able to afford it so at least that's not as big an issue, right now it is though. How does IEW compare to Writing Strands?

I have only given writing strands a quick review, but I would say that IEW does a lot more hand holding for the parent and student. IEW requires more teacher/parent involvement. WS is written to the student and is more independent as far as assignments go--though no writing curriculum should ever be truly independent since the DC will need constant feedback and areas to work on.

Having used one of the SWI I would say to start with SWI B so you can get started right away without worrying about how much of the TWSS you are able to watch. I used SWI A b/c I had both an 11 yr old and 7 year old and I wanted the most bang for my buck. We all enjoy Andrew Pudewa's teaching style, and it gives me a nice break from planning and teaching -- though I do sit in and add my own comments.

However, now that we have done one of the SWI I bought the TWSS to use. While we enjoy SWI there are times when I feel like Mr. Pudewa is beating a dead horse. He just wants to make sure the kids get it, but I know if I were teaching I could do it more efficiently. I could also tailor it to my own kids. So, to finish out the units I will use TWSS. I just cannot see spending the $$$ on SWICC. I did download the SWICC extension lessons though. These are very inexpensive and will help me create my own SWICC using the lessons and the TWSS.

Shannon

If you were already planning on getting the TWSS for yourself, and you feel comfortable teaching writing, I'd suggest the TWSS in combination with one of the theme based books. I'm using the Medieval History this year with my 2 boys (13 & 10) and it's going really well so far. The theme based are supposed to cover all 9 units (as opposed to the SWI), but I just noticed that based on the TOC the Medieval History seems to leave out unit 3 (retelling a story). I may be mistaken because we're only a few weeks in and I haven't dug through everything yet. But in any case it's not a big deal since I have the TWSS.

I used the SWI-B/SICC-B with my dd, and I really like the approach of the theme based books better.

Theoretically you should be able to teach the program with just the TWSS, and many people do. I tried it that way at first, but put it on the shelf because I could never seem to find the "right" paragraphs/sources and didn't know what to assign.

Having used one of the SWI I would say to start with SWI B so you can get started right away without worrying about how much of the TWSS you are able to watch. I used SWI A b/c I had both an 11 yr old and 7 year old and I wanted the most bang for my buck. We all enjoy Andrew Pudewa's teaching style, and it gives me a nice break from planning and teaching -- though I do sit in and add my own comments.

However, now that we have done one of the SWI I bought the TWSS to use. While we enjoy SWI there are times when I feel like Mr. Pudewa is beating a dead horse. He just wants to make sure the kids get it, but I know if I were teaching I could do it more efficiently. I could also tailor it to my own kids. So, to finish out the units I will use TWSS. I just cannot see spending the $$$ on SWICC. I did download the SWICC extension lessons though. These are very inexpensive and will help me create my own SWICC using the lessons and the TWSS.

Shannon

Can you link the download?

Can you link the download?

I have to go out this afternoon, but will post the links I can find later tonight. IEW has made access to Jill Pike's lesson plans more difficult. They were free on the IEW Families Yahoo files, but are no longer there. I'll have to do some digging to see where they are located now.

Shannon

Shannon

Thank you for such a great break down here. It's very helpful. Decisions, decisions.:tongue_smilie:

I have to go out this afternoon, but will post the links I can find later tonight. IEW has made access to Jill Pike's lesson plans more difficult. They were free on the IEW Families Yahoo files, but are no longer there. I'll have to do some digging to see where they are located now.

Shannon

Okay, I tried to locate exactly the Student notebook I downloaded (which was the SWICC level B), as a pdf earlier this year. I think it is this one..

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/sicc-e

You can also download lessons for the SWI levels, though I think using one SWI on video is helpful.

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/catalog/e-books

What I plan to do is watch the TWSS for the unit covered in the lesson plan, then use the materials in the handouts as our lessons. Then I'll add in lessons of my own based on our studies in literature and history. If you look at the download samples (especially the teacher's notes samples) it will make more sense. The TOC lists the Unit to be covered and the assignments that correlate which are in the packet. Hope I'm making sense here. It's dreary, rainy, and I'm tired!

Shannon

• 4 weeks later...

Can I ask about placing my dd10 in an IEW writing course. She has gone through MC4+, as well as Writing Tales Level 1 and MCT Island. She currently writes paragraphs, but we haven't moved onto multi paragraphs yet. Would IEW SWI-A move to slow for her? I also have a 2nd grader coming along, but I am trying to gear it towards the older child for now. I just couldn't tell the main differences between SWI-A and SWI-B. Also, if I choose to work with a theme based (ie. Medival History to go along with our history for next year) I know I could get the TWSS to view, but wondered at the writing assignments for the history based program. Do they start off teaching KWO and then move into paragraphs, and then multiple paragraphs throughout the workbook? Thanks for any help you all can provide!