Menu

Butterfly resources?

Moxie

I did a butterfly unit for my son (4 yrs old) about a month ago. Raising the caterpillars and butterflies was great! That was definitely the highlight.

Some books we liked:

Hurry and the Monarch by Antoine O'Flatharta

Monarch Butterfly by Gail Gibbons

Caterpillar, caterpillar by Vivian French

Butterfly story by Anca Hariton

The Butterfly Alphabet Book by Brian Cassie and Jerry Pallotta

Butterfly House by Eve Bunting

The Butterfly Alphabet by Kjell Sandved (this is real photos of butterflies with what look like letters on their wings, it's pretty cool)

Waiting for Wings by Lois Ehlert

Becoming Butterflies by Anne Rockwell

Other fun things we did:

Watched DK Eyewitness video on butterflies and moths- my son really liked this video.

I made a life cycle game/craft. I just drew the different parts of the life cycle and my son had to put them in order and glue onto a piece of paper.

My son usually hates to color in coloring books but I found this Stained Glass Coloring book of butterflies that he loved. We still have the butterflies from it on our windows. http://store.doverpublications.com/0486430618.html

Also, there is a free lapbook on butterflies on Homeschool Share. http://www.homeschoolshare.com/butterfly_lapbook.php. I'm not much of a lapbooker, but the site also has a good library list and may just give you some ideas of things to do.

Our caterpillars should be here any day so I'm trying to put together a butterfly unit. Any online resources I should check out?

I just found this link... We are ordering our caterpillars to next week.... This is for younger children... This post is filled with links and great pictures of a lap book and the links they used to study... even if you don’t want to make a lap book, it has wonderful links and book suggestions...

Butterfly