Menu

Block schedulers, could you come in here for a moment?

plansrme

Does anyone block schedule for the K-8 set? If so, could you tell me how it looks at your house? Do you have a math day, science day, history day, LA day, or what???

It would be for a 2nd and 6th grader in my case, but I welcome input from those who are doing/have done/have considered block scheduling, regardless of whether it was ultimately successful.

Thanks,

Terri

I dont' know if we count as block or not. We do the basics every morning:

L.A, Latin, and Math.

Then I block out the afternoon subject. Monday is Art. Tues and Thurs. are history/geography formal stuff, Wed. is Science (Fri. is out of the house learning.)

We aim for Music once a week too. I squeeze it in in place of Latin one morning a week. HTH.

I don't know whether we count - we don't schedule. My kids get to choose what subjects they want to work on and how long and ultimately end up on "binges" in certain subjects and less in others - it averages out. the only thing I required pretty much daily is math for DS (DD13 does math only a few times a week in longer sessions)

But we find it more effective to work for a longer consecutive time period on history or creative writing than breaking after 30 or so minutes.

I dont' know if we count as block or not. We do the basics every morning:

L.A, Latin, and Math.

Then I block out the afternoon subject. Monday is Art. Tues and Thurs. are history/geography formal stuff, Wed. is Science (Fri. is out of the house learning.)

We aim for Music once a week too. I squeeze it in in place of Latin one morning a week. HTH.

:iagree: Some subjects really need to be done daily (math, reading) while others can work great with blocking (history, science, art, music). We do our "core" subjects (3Rs) first thing every day, then do one of the block subjects (history/science), art is interspersed. Once those are done the "fun" topics are covered (latin, piano) so they get done most days. My kids are early elementary though, so I don't know how you might have to adjust things for MS age.

:iagree: Some subjects really need to be done daily (math, reading) . . .

This is what I am actually wondering about. Conventional wisdom certainly would seem to say that this is true, but I wonder if there is a case to be made for doing a week's worth of math, for instance, on one day. I have never come across anyone who really does this, hence my question.

I appreciate the thoughts so far. Anyone else, please chime in.

Terri

I do math and writing daily. I don't assign reading, so that's off the table. After math and writing, I block schedule the rest. I do one other LA subject per day, either spelling or grammar, then either science or history, and one 'elective.' Sometimes we do extra science because that's his favorite topic. His electives are Latin, French, art, piano, and logic, so there's one per day each week. He is welcome to get on his computer and get on StudyStack to study his French and Latin in between sessions, welcome to do extra logic, and welcome to practice his piano at any time as well. Sometimes he does; sometimes not. I refuse to stress over it.

The reason we do math and writing daily is because those, IMO, require a constant drizzle instead of one big downpour. Otherwise nothing sinks in very far and I wind up reteaching a lot the next time.

I don't think I am understanding your definition of block scheduling. I consider us to be block schedulers but we do it diffeently than how it is being discussed in this thread.

We do the basics every day (math, grammar, latin) and then we do a content subject for about one month every day for two hours. In Jan. we did a block on science and for the mnoth of Feb. we have been doing history. We have been doing this for two year now and it works very well for us.

This is what I am actually wondering about. Conventional wisdom certainly would seem to say that this is true, but I wonder if there is a case to be made for doing a week's worth of math, for instance, on one day. I have never come across anyone who really does this, hence my question.

I think the real question is if your kids could spend 3 or 4 hours on one day on math.

We only do our formal math curriculum (singapore) three times a week. But they often spend between 1hr - 1 1/2 hrs those three times. That is all they can handle at once. There is no way they could do 3-5 hours of math at a time. Or even in one day.

I just started doing block days this week. Things we do daily-reading, math practice, and vocabulary. I block day everything else. It is working well for us. My ds gets into the mindset of doing something, and it is easy to multiple lessons.

We just got done with our math block today. We did a total of 4 lessons in RightStart, and I read 2 selections out of Penrose the Mathematical Cat. I make sure that the math practice has any concepts we went over the previous week as well as math facts.

We use TOG, so most of the subjects come straight from that (vocab, writing, history, geography, lit, bible etc). Since we try to do our TOG week in a consistent time frame, if DD has any unfinished work for the week it is rolled onto Sat. Subjects not part of the TOG week just get held over to the next week. DD is in 1st grade. We usually spend 1-2 hours together, and then she works independently on some of her work like math, handwriting, and vocab.

Everyday subjects: Phonics/Spelling and Math

Monday: Science, History Core (TOG), Vocab, Writing, Handwriting

Tuesday: Spanish, Geography, History in Depth (TOG), Vocab, Writing, Handwriting

Wednesday: Science, Bible, Vocab, Writing, Logic

Thursday: Spanish, Lit, Craft Project History Based, Vocab, Handwriting

Friday: TOG Lapbook, Art Study, Finish Craft Project from yesterday, Weekly meeting with Mom about following week.

Sat: Science Lab if needed, finish any unfinished work if needed.