Menu

Guinea Question

Well, between the ticks and the scorpions, we've finally decided to take the plunge and get guineas. So my question is: How do I keep the guineas safe while they are out of the coop eating up all those nasty ticks and assorted other critters? We've got four hawks circling around the house today, as well as bobcats and coyotes. We've got a german shepherd puppy, but I don't know if he will protect them. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.:bigear:

Well, between the ticks and the scorpions, we've finally decided to take the plunge and get guineas. So my question is: How do I keep the guineas safe while they are out of the coop eating up all those nasty ticks and assorted other critters? We've got four hawks circling around the house today, as well as bobcats and coyotes. We've got a german shepherd puppy, but I don't know if he will protect them. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.:bigear:

We used these: http://www.guineapigcages.com/

I made them into a big rectangle of about 3 panels wide and 6 panels long and put them upside down, the bottom flooring became the top cover that kept they piggies contained and safe.

You can do so many variations of determining what works best for you and your piggies. Can even have fun making them into a maze.

We just let 'em roam. So far (knock wood) we haven't had a problem during the day. We have had things (fox, racoon) break into the coop and make off with them or just kill them, so now the coop is Fort Knox. We do also have coyotes - I did see one come sniffing around, and one morning there was a a hawk perched in the tree over their coop.

The biggest problem we've had with roaming is when they leave our yard and I have to go find them. They do mostly stay in our yard, though. I think in the fall they just wanted to eat the wild grapes next door. One of my neighbors gets annoyed when they get into her yard, but I don't know how to let them eat our ticks and keep them confined 100% of the time - they can fly, so even a fence isn't 100%.

We're thinking of getting a dog in the spring, and we'd keep it inside or fenced in the front when it's out. I don't think dogs and fowl mix unless you have a really well-trained dog. I'm hoping the birds aren't stupid enough to fly into the fenced area when the dog is actually in it... :tongue_smilie:

I was actually asking about guinea fowl.:001_smile:

I was reading that post, thinking "Wahhh?" Guinea *pigs* - now I get it.

Let me assure you that sometime in the not-so-distant future you will be praying for a hawk attack or coyote snatching. Guineas are the most annoying things in the world....:tongue_smilie:

Acutally, they should be fine. Guineas, unlike other poultry, can fly. And they do. To the top of the nearest pine tree where they will sit and screech at you anytime you are anywhere near their tree. And they will be too far up to shoot them accurately. Then you are back to the above prayers.

I haven't helped much, have I?:lol:

What I'm curious about are guineas relations to red wasps? Will they eat those buggers?

One little sniff of spring time and the blasted things are out in full force. We've already killed 4 in the house this past week. Last summer we actually had to give up line drying our clothes because we couldn't kill the nests and the &^%$ things kept dive bombing us.

Hatch out lots of eggs in the spring.

Sorry no other advice.

The females will go off to lay/sit in the woods and will end up as someone's dinner. Unless you coop them up (therefore making them rather inefficient as pest control) there will always be losses.

Hatch out lots of keets to keep the numbers up.